Windows 10: You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

Discus and support You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution. It seems out of the blue, my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Josh1, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Josh1 Win User

You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution.

It seems out of the blue, my computer has denied me permission to access any and all removable media through usb. All my thumb-drives, all my sd-readers, and two phones. I always get this window:

You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device [​IMG]

I have tried putting ownership to my user account, with admin status, and I get this window:

When I click Yes:

When No is clicked:

I tried to edit options in the group policy editor, but "removable media" is not an option.

I tried to take ownership using elevated console commands, and no success, it wont even let me run chkdsk on the drive. (also changed drive letter with no success)

When I go into disk manager, any device I try to access is listed as healthy, my usb drives all have correct space remaining and are FAT32, and not to mention when my devices are plugged into another pc, there is no issue accessing them, so I think its down to my computer.

One last thing, out of nowhere, uninstalling my usb root hub through device manager and restarting the pc allowed me to access the drives and phones for a very short period of time, then the same issues arose once again and uninstalling/reinstalling the root hub never solved the issue again.

Sorry for the novel it's just been killing me that I can't get this to work. I know it's probably something stupid simple that I am overthinking or overlooking, any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Josh1, Jan 4, 2019

2. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Jan 4, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Permission to access network

Hi Kristen,

You might be experiencing this issue because you lost permission to access the network resource or shortcut after upgrading your computer. To better assist you with this problem, we would like to know the following information.

• Are you using the shortcut to access a file or folder located on another computer in the network?
    • Is the file or folder located on the computer that you recently upgraded?
    • What is the exact error message that you received when accessing the shortcut?
    • Are you using a homegroup to share files between devices on your local network?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter. This troubleshooter finds and fixes common connection problems. Here's how:

• Click Start.
    • Start typing Network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems
      in the results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Jan 4, 2019
  4. j.col70 Win User

j.col70, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

1. You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device - Similar Threads - Permission Access Device

2. “You do not have permission to access this folder” and no security tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    “You do not have permission to access this folder” and no security tab: Hello, I made a copy of my F drive and accidentally kept both the old one and the copy when I wiped my PC. Now I don’t have access to that drive on my local administrator account, I’ve looked in properties to go that route based one everything I’m finding online however there...
  3. Access denied you do not have permission to access this pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access denied you do not have permission to access this pc: After upgrading to Win 10 version 20H2 and then going back to version 2004 because 20H2 caused the PC to run to slow and some programs would not open. I now can no longer access the PC that went through the upgrade and then roll back by the other 2 PC's that did not go...
  4. "You Do Not Have a Permission to Access" a network computer

"You Do Not Have a Permission to Access" a network computer: I am running Windows 10 pro on two computer. One was upgraded I call PC and the other a new laptop I call LT. I set the network to share as per the instructions and I can read my files on my PC from my LT with no problem. However when I try to go read the files under the...
  5. Photos you do not have permission to access.

Photos you do not have permission to access.: How do I unlock photos Windows 10 to many photos to unlock one at time Pennyc1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-you-do-not-have-permission-to-access/eba93b17-3e6f-4415-9f2d-d6e0d52a60b3"
  6. You Do Not Have Permission To Access \\(computer name)

You Do Not Have Permission To Access \\(computer name): I have an in-home Private network with two computers connected through an Ethernet/WiFi router. The laptop is connected via WiFi and the desktop is connected via Ethernet. The laptop has full read/write access to all folders of the desktop. However the desktop receives the...
  7. You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device: Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution. It seems out of the blue, my computer has denied me permission to access any and all removable media through usb. All my thumb-drives, all my sd-readers, and two...
  8. You do not have permission to access this folder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You do not have permission to access this folder: I have recently installed Ubandu 18.10 on a rack server, and have a 400Gb+ntfs partion which I have files on, and shared that folder using samba. (I have even included a guest share in the samba setting). On both of my windows 10 machines (desktop and laptop), I can see...
  9. You do not have permission to access \\PC123

You do not have permission to access \\PC123: Hi, I have 4 PCs on my home network of which 2 are running under Win7 and are part of a Home group and 2 running under Win10 that cannot join my Home group. In File Explorer on PCs running under Win7, I can see an icon named Home group. I can access each other PCs running...
  10. You do not have permission to access \\johndoe.

You do not have permission to access \\johndoe.: I have three computers that share files on one of the three. We have had no problems doing this until recently. Now I can find files on that computer by clicking on a Quick Access folder, which is on that computer, but I cannot save files there. In order to do so, I have...