Windows 10: You do not have permission to access this folder

Discus and support You do not have permission to access this folder in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have recently installed Ubandu 18.10 on a rack server, and have a 400Gb+ntfs partion which I have files on, and shared that folder using samba. (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Craig McConnell, Nov 5, 2018.

1. You do not have permission to access this folder

I have recently installed Ubandu 18.10 on a rack server, and have a 400Gb+ntfs partion which I have files on, and shared that folder using samba. (I have even included a guest share in the samba setting).

On both of my windows 10 machines (desktop and laptop), I can see the machine and the folder I am sharing under networking. But once I try and click on the shared folder, I get the message that "You do not have permission to access this folder". I have tried going in to the properties and changing the security setting to include "everyone", but it wont let me apply the changed security settings.

On the odd time, I get a login screen, which I have tried entering the username and password for the linux login, but it doesn't accept it. my login for both of my windows machines is a 4 digit code, and this is option is not displayed on the login screen. I feel that I am going around in circles, and getting no where.

:)

Craig McConnell, Nov 5, 2018
  2. John Sarc Win User

how an administrator can give permission to access folders

Hi John,

To provide user/s an access to folders, see the steps below on how to do so:

• Right-click on the folder > Security.
    • Under the Group or user names option, click on the username that you want to have an access to the folder; then, click on Edit.
    • It will show you the page of permissions which you can allow or deny.
    • Choose your desired permissions and click on OK.

Let us know what happens after following the steps given.

John Sarc, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Unable to access a folder, it denies permission

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with permission.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.1. Is the issue specific with a particular folder?

2. What is the complete error message?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Permission issue.

• Corrupt User Account.

• Damaged files.

I suggest you to try the steps under the section Issue 1:
    I get an "Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders
    in the following article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Note:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. You may need to be logged on as an administrator to change file and folder permissions.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Nov 5, 2018
  4. j.col70 Win User

You do not have permission to access this folder

j.col70, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

You do not have permission to access this folder

1. You do not have permission to access this folder - Similar Threads - permission access folder

2. “You do not have permission to access this folder” and no security tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “You do not have permission to access this folder” and no security tab: Hello, I made a copy of my F drive and accidentally kept both the old one and the copy when I wiped my PC. Now I don’t have access to that drive on my local administrator account, I’ve looked in properties to go that route based one everything I’m finding online however there...
  3. “You do not have permission to access this folder” and no security tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    “You do not have permission to access this folder” and no security tab: Hello, I made a copy of my F drive and accidentally kept both the old one and the copy when I wiped my PC. Now I don’t have access to that drive on my local administrator account, I’ve looked in properties to go that route based one everything I’m finding online however there...
  4. "You don't have permission to access this folder"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "You don't have permission to access this folder": I can't use my USBs and hard drives because of this. Every time I try to connect USBs and hardrive the same message keeps coming up. I've tried to fix it "following step by step by step tutorials from everywhere but it just won't get fixed. I'm sick and tired of it. I need...
  5. Photos you do not have permission to access.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos you do not have permission to access.: How do I unlock photos Windows 10 to many photos to unlock one at time Pennyc1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-you-do-not-have-permission-to-access/eba93b17-3e6f-4415-9f2d-d6e0d52a60b3"
  6. “You have been denied permission to access this folder”

“You have been denied permission to access this folder”: why am i getting this? I been looking all over the internet on how to fix this and found some thing about a security tab but i dont see a security tab....
  7. You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device: Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution. It seems out of the blue, my computer has denied me permission to access any and all removable media through usb. All my thumb-drives, all my sd-readers, and two...
  8. You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device

in Windows 10 Support
    You Do Not Have Permission To Access This Device: Hello, I am having an issue that I have been working on for weeks now and have been unable to find a solution. It seems out of the blue, my computer has denied me permission to access any and all removable media through usb. All my thumb-drives, all my sd-readers, and two...
  9. You do not have permission to access \\PC123

You do not have permission to access \\PC123: Hi, I have 4 PCs on my home network of which 2 are running under Win7 and are part of a Home group and 2 running under Win10 that cannot join my Home group. In File Explorer on PCs running under Win7, I can see an icon named Home group. I can access each other PCs running...
  10. You do not have permission to access \\johndoe.

You do not have permission to access \\johndoe.: I have three computers that share files on one of the three. We have had no problems doing this until recently. Now I can find files on that computer by clicking on a Quick Access folder, which is on that computer, but I cannot save files there. In order to do so, I have...