Windows 10: You do not have permission to save changes to this file

Discus and support You do not have permission to save changes to this file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I have been using my widows 10 photos app to trim videos for the last month. Yesterday I tried to do the same and I got the error message "you do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ROL27, Apr 25, 2020.

1. ROL27 Win User

You do not have permission to save changes to this file

Hi,

I have been using my widows 10 photos app to trim videos for the last month. Yesterday I tried to do the same and I got the error message "you do not have permission to save changes to this file" when I tried to save as a copy following the trim.

How can I get this to work? The only thing that has changed is a windows update to 1909 but the videos are all still my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's driving me up the wall!

:)

ROL27, Apr 25, 2020
  2. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Apr 25, 2020
  3. Permissions to save updated files denied

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it resolve the permission issue.

• Right click on the file and click on Properties.
    • Click on Security, check Owner should be "SYSTEM" in
      Advance tab.
    • Now check the save for C:\Users\<username>
    • Owner should also be "SYSTEM"
    • Check the users you signed into windows as (should be your Microsoft account) should be in the "Permissions entries" list with "Full Contol"
    • If not, Add the user you are logged in as.
    • All the folders and sub-folders below should be "owned" by the user you are logged into windows with
      importantly, have a permissions entry for "full control"
    • Check for all the related folder where you are getting same error, but for some reason that same user is missing a "Permission Entry". Add a "full control" entry for the user and you should be able to save to that folder
      and all sub-folders
    Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Apr 25, 2020
  4. You do not have permission to save changes to this file

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

You do not have permission to save changes to this file

1. You do not have permission to save changes to this file - Similar Threads - permission save changes

2. "You do not have permission to save to this location"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You do not have permission to save to this location": Hello I am on windows 10 and whenever I try to save something to my computer it tells me "You do not have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Pictures folder instead? [Yes] [No]" I am the sole...
  3. "You do not have permission to save to this location"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You do not have permission to save to this location": Hello I am on windows 10 and whenever I try to save something to my computer it tells me "You do not have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Pictures folder instead? [Yes] [No]" I am the sole...
  4. "You do not have permission to save to this location"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file. Try saving a copy...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It looks like you don't have permission to save changes to this file. Try saving a copy...: I will try my hardest not to swear here. This ought to be the simplest thing in the world: I have a video file on my desktop. I am trying to save a clip from that video file as a separate file. Instead, it's *****ing impossible. Every time I try, I get the same message: "It...
  6. "You don't have permission to save changes to this file"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You don't have permission to save changes to this file": I'm the only one using this desktop, with only one user account. I have tried almost everything, under properties I have ensured that all admin/users have full control. I have run sfc /scannow. But it's still not working... All I want to do is trim my videos :- please help...
  7. "It looks like as though you dont have permission to save changes to this file, Try saving...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "It looks like as though you dont have permission to save changes to this file, Try saving...: whenever i have a clip that i made from a game and i try to trim it, it gives me an error message saying "It looks like as though you dont have permission to save changes to this file, Try saving a copy instead.'' i am the only user on the device and i find it quite odd that...
  8. Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10. I loved the changes, until yesterday. I am signed in as the administrator of my account. I tried to save a simple spreadsheet to Documents in One Drive. I received this message: "You don’t have permission to save in this location....
  9. Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here"

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save files "You don't have permission to save here": I started this thread because I could not find the original one with this issue. I was having this issue as well as many others. I would try to save a file either with a program or browser and would get a pop up saying I didn't have permission to do so. After searching for an...
  10. You do not have permission to save in this location

in Windows 10 Support
    You do not have permission to save in this location: Hi guys, i recently upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. i am trying to save a power point slide to a new folder i created in my documents folder. I get the message saying that i do have permission to save in this location,contact the administrator for permission?? can...