Windows 10: you don't have permission to open this file

Discus and support you don't have permission to open this file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CVHorie, Mar 31, 2023.

1. CVHorie Win User

you don't have permission to open this file

I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to cut and remove redundant passages.When I tried to open in a video editing program, first , Video Cutter, then Avidemux , the PC gave this error message:Copied the files to a temp folder on a hard disc, tried to open a file. Got the same message.As far as I know, I have changed no authorisation settings in recent years.Th

:)

CVHorie, Mar 31, 2023

2. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Mar 31, 2023
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Mar 31, 2023
  4. louhoang Win User

File permissions to delete file

You can try the steps below

1. Right click the file to that you don’t have permission to access. Vlick Properties.
    2. Go to Security tab and select Edit.
    3. Select Add button
    4. Type Everyone then select Check Names. Click OK to save changes.
    5. you will be back in the previous window, under Group or users names, choose Everyone then check mark Full control.
    you can refer more: Fix: You dont currently have permission to access this folder in Windows 10

louhoang, Mar 31, 2023
Thema:

1. you don't have permission to open this file - Similar Threads - don't permission open

2. Showing you don't have permission to view this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Showing you don't have permission to view this file: Hi. I am getting the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" on the Windows explorer while trying to view photos in an internal Local disk D. Even the windows explorer does not show the thumbnails of the images....
  3. Showing you don't have permission to view this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Showing you don't have permission to view this file: Hi. I am getting the error "It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again" on the Windows explorer while trying to view photos in an internal Local disk D. Even the windows explorer does not show the thumbnails of the images....
  4. You do not have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You do not have permission to open this file: I have a solid-state drive in an external USB enclosure, with files and folders copied from my old Windows 10 laptop. I now use Windows 11 on a new laptop. The SSD is encrypted with BitLocker. I have the password, and can unlock the drive fine. The problem I'm encountering is...
  5. You do not have permission to open this file

You do not have permission to open this file: I have a solid-state drive in an external USB enclosure, with files and folders copied from my old Windows 10 laptop. I now use Windows 11 on a new laptop. The SSD is encrypted with BitLocker. I have the password, and can unlock the drive fine. The problem I'm encountering is...
  6. you don't have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you don't have permission to open this file: I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to...
  7. you don't have permission to open this file

you don't have permission to open this file: I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to...
  8. It appears that you don't have permission to open this file. Check the Permission and try...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    It appears that you don't have permission to open this file. Check the Permission and try...: Recently My Hard drive attacked by some unknown virus/malware, i am not sure. But I used windows reset option to get rid of all unresponsive things started happening to Windows, but after reset it started acting weird, Some .JPG files shows this title error. What should i do?...
  9. "You don't have the permission to open this file." How to get it back?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "You don't have the permission to open this file." How to get it back?: I frequently use Handbrake to encode movies. Suddenly and inexplicably I can't anymore. If I click on the movie and want to open it using Handbrake, on the app I get the message: "No valid source or titles found "Handbrake will not be able to encode the selected source as...
  10. "You do not have permission to open this file."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You do not have permission to open this file.": How can i fix this error? I have admin, i tried takeown /f, and it still won't let me open it submitted by /u/Jakepuff6523 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ec1djk/you_do_not_have_permission_to_open_this_file/