Windows 10: You dont have permission to save to this location

Discus and support You dont have permission to save to this location in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; "You don't have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrators to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Documents folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, May 8, 2017.

1. You dont have permission to save to this location

"You don't have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrators to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Documents folder instead?"

This message randomly pops up when I am trying to save something to the desktop, like a newly created .txt file or .png.

When it happened today, I selected "yes", it took me to my Documents folder, but instead of saving it there, I pulled down the menu, selected desktop, whereupon it saved it to the desktop, no problem.

What's up with that?? *Rolleyes

:)

kitpzyxmsir, May 8, 2017
  2. Unreal24 Win User

You Don't Have Permission to Save to This Location

It was Bitdefender! The dialogue box made me think it was Windows doing the blocking and I received no notification of any blocked access by Bitdefender. I opened Bitdefender, went to the unread alerts (though I was never alerted) and found the blocked app
    event. I used the interface to unblock Matlab and retried the save with success.

Anyone else with this problem: check blocked apps in your firewall (or maybe I'm the only one...)

Unreal24, May 8, 2017
  3. Ar Rom Win User
    You Don't Have Permission to Save to This Location

Hi,

For us to resolve this issue regarding not being able to save due to an error message, we need to set the level of access on the Group Membership. Here are the steps:

1. Right-click on Start button then select Run.

2. Select the user account that is giving you the error message.

3. Click on Properties.

4. Open the Group Membership tab.

5. Set the level of access that you want to give the user.

6. Select Administrator and click Apply then exit.

7. Restart your computer and see if your still getting the same error.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Ar Rom, May 8, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

You dont have permission to save to this location

You dont have permission to save to this location [​IMG]

1. In File Explorer Right-click on the C: drive

2. Left-click on Properties.
    3. Click on the Security tab.
    4. In the first window click on Administrators (your computer name-PC Administrators).
    5. Just below the window click on Edit.
    6. Click on Administrators (your computer name-PC Administrators) again.
    7. Here's the key to making it work. If Apply is grayed-out, check a box in the Deny column. It will then bring up Apply.

8. Check a box in the Allow column. It should check all of the boxes except the last one and uncheck all of the boxes in the Deny column.
    9. Click Apply. It should run a scan of the files in the drive. When the scan is finished, click Ok. The first box should still be open.
    10. In the first window, click on Users (your computer name-PC\Users) and repeat steps 5-9, of course clicking on Users (your computer name-PC\Users)
    instead of Administrators (your computer name-PC Administrators).
    NOTE: You may not have to click in the Deny column after the first scan is completed for step 10 as indicated in step 7.

spunk, May 9, 2017
  5. Thanks. But I don"t really want to change permissions for C:\. The only box that is currently not checked is "Full Control", and I don't mind having the "You'll need to provide administrator permission" confirmation message pop-up if I want to move something there.

I think something else is going on.

My "Desktop" already has all permissions checked, but that's where I get that "absolute" deny message, however, like I said, not all the time. Once in a while, with no discernible pattern.

That's one strange thing.

The other is that I just tried to do a "save as" to C:\ for a text file already sitting on my desktop. It saved without hindrance...no confirmation message.

But when I went to look for it, it wasn't in C:\.. It was in "C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore". C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.ini is there as well, and I have no explanation for that.

Furthermore, I have no problem doing a copy/paste for that same text file (with the confirmation message) from desktop to C:\.

I found this,
    I saved a file on C:\ and it put it where ? ! virtual store ? Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

Which led to this
    Process - See if running as administrator (elevated) - Windows 7 Help Forums

But I'm still confused, and the Windows 10 task manager options are different than Windows 7

EDIT: I found this

How to See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10?

Notetab.exe is enabled for UAC Virtualization (along with a couple other utilities, "Volumemouse" and "CPU Usage in Tray", both of which are older 32 bit programs and the only items I have set to launch when Windows boots) , but I don't know why. Maybe because it's the 32 bit? I still don't understand this virtualization thing.

Does it have something to do with configuring compatibility?

Should I just "disable" virtualization for all these items?

Is this issue linked to my original question?

kitpzyxmsir, May 9, 2017
  6. JoeU Win User
    I had this same problem. I fixed it. Found out my anti virus had file protection enabled. This is what was giving me this issue. I would get the popup saying I didn't have permission to save here, contact administrator. Check you anti virus or firewall for file protection and allow the programs you need to save files with. This should fix your problem.

JoeU, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

You dont have permission to save to this location

1. You dont have permission to save to this location - Similar Threads - dont permission save

2. "You do not have permission to save to this location"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You do not have permission to save to this location": Hello I am on windows 10 and whenever I try to save something to my computer it tells me "You do not have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Pictures folder instead? [Yes] [No]" I am the sole...
  3. "You do not have permission to save to this location"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You do not have permission to save to this location": Hello I am on windows 10 and whenever I try to save something to my computer it tells me "You do not have permission to save to this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Pictures folder instead? [Yes] [No]" I am the sole...
  4. "You do not have permission to save to this location"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "You don’t have permission to save in this location" on Surface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You don’t have permission to save in this location" on Surface: When I try to save files via certain apps, I get an error saying I can't save it there and asking whether I'd like to save it in Documents instead but get same error there. This issue is happening on my Microsoft Surface 4 running Windows 11, but does not happen in the same...
  6. "You don’t have permission to save in this location" on Surface

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "You don’t have permission to save in this location" on Surface: When I try to save files via certain apps, I get an error saying I can't save it there and asking whether I'd like to save it in Documents instead but get same error there. This issue is happening on my Microsoft Surface 4 running Windows 11, but does not happen in the same...
  7. You don't have permission to save in this location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't have permission to save in this location: I am getting this error message on all files in My Documents Just did the 9/8/2020 Win 10 update!!! "You don't have permission to save in this location"...
  8. you don't have permission to save in this location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    you don't have permission to save in this location: Latest Windows update I am a developer and one client is having the issue that his app can't save ordinary text files to his Documents folder. They can be saved to the User root below Documents. I added 'everyone' with full control to the permissions list for Documents but...
  9. "You don't have permission to save in this location"

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't have permission to save in this location": I installed a photo editing program program (DxO Filmpack 3) which I had previously used successfully on a different computer that also runs Windows 10. But on my new computer, whenever I try to save a photo to a folder on my Desktop using the program, I get the following...
  10. You do not have permission to save in this location

in Windows 10 Support
    You do not have permission to save in this location: Hi guys, i recently upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10. i am trying to save a power point slide to a new folder i created in my documents folder. I get the message saying that i do have permission to save in this location,contact the administrator for permission?? can...