Windows 10: You have been denied permission to access this folder

Discus and support You have been denied permission to access this folder in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Sometimes, when you try to open a System Protected folder in File Explorer, you may encounter an error saying “You have been denied permission to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 11, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

You have been denied permission to access this folder

Sometimes, when you try to open a System Protected folder in File Explorer, you may encounter an error saying “You have been denied permission to access this folder, To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab”.

You have been denied permission to access this folder You-have-been-denied-permission-to-access-this-folder.jpg

Looking at the statement itself, we can say that the problem is because of lack of permission and hence, can be fixed by altering the permission settings of the folder. So, without wasting any time, let us see the ways to fix the issue.

You need to Take Ownership of the file or folder in question.

Take Ownership of the file or folder

You have been denied permission to access this folder replace-owners-or-subcontainers.png

So, let us see how to take ownership of the file or folder that’s giving you this error.

1. Right-click on the file/folder that’s giving you the error and select Properties.
    2. Go to the Security tab. If you are not seeing the tab, try adding the Security tab.
    3. Go to Advanced Security Settings by clicking on the Advanced button and then click Change.
    4. Now, in the “Enter the object name to select” field, type the object name, click Check Names > Ok.
    5. Tick Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” and click Ok.

Now, open the folder, and hopefully, you will not face “You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab”.

You have an easy way too!

You can also use our freeware to do this easily:

Once you add “Take Ownership” to the context menu you can right-click on the file and select Take ownership.

With the help of mentioned ways, you will be able to take ownership of the folder that was giving you the “You have been denied permission to access this folder.” error.

Read Next: Where are Windows Store Apps installed & how to access the folder.

You have been denied permission to access this folder You-have-been-denied-permission-to-access-this-folder.jpg
    This article You have been denied permission to access this folder first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 11, 2021
  2. Geethu B Win User

Unable to access a folder, it denies permission

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with permission.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.1. Is the issue specific with a particular folder?

2. What is the complete error message?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Permission issue.

• Corrupt User Account.

• Damaged files.

I suggest you to try the steps under the section Issue 1:
    I get an "Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders
    in the following article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Note:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. You may need to be logged on as an administrator to change file and folder permissions.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, May 11, 2021
  3. EsMj Win User
    Change Folder Destination access Denied

Thanks.

After following the steps suggested, I get the message "Access denied" in command prompt.

Please advise how to allow permission.

4. John Sarc Win User

how an administrator can give permission to access folders

Hi John,

To provide user/s an access to folders, see the steps below on how to do so:

• Right-click on the folder > Security.
    • Under the Group or user names option, click on the username that you want to have an access to the folder; then, click on Edit.
    • It will show you the page of permissions which you can allow or deny.
    • Choose your desired permissions and click on OK.

Let us know what happens after following the steps given.

John Sarc, May 11, 2021
Thema:

1. You have been denied permission to access this folder - Similar Threads - been denied permission

2. HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...: I can't access certain system & windows folder files despite being the administrator and the only user on the computer.Some folders I can't delete it or even open it, or even edit it's properties. It says: "You don't currently have permissions to access this folder"When I...
  3. HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...: I can't access certain system & windows folder files despite being the administrator and the only user on the computer.Some folders I can't delete it or even open it, or even edit it's properties. It says: "You don't currently have permissions to access this folder"When I...
  4. HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. You have been denied permission to access this folder ????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You have been denied permission to access this folder ????: so yeah im trying to access a hidden folder and i dont have access. im the only account plus administator on the pc.. what is going on???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-have-been-denied-permission-to-access-this/5bc133bb-0c9a-4f0c-92e7-6a2eec078d5b
  6. You have been denied permission to access this folder ????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You have been denied permission to access this folder ????: so yeah im trying to access a hidden folder and i dont have access. im the only account plus administator on the pc.. what is going on???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-have-been-denied-permission-to-access-this/5bc133bb-0c9a-4f0c-92e7-6a2eec078d5b
  7. You have been denied permission to access this folder

You have been denied permission to access this folder: Hello! Thank your for taking the time to read. I recently upgraded my computer to windows 10 after having a computer hardware failure and replaced the hard drive. Now back and running. However I ran into a a few issues since, but the one that I need help with at this moment...
  8. You have been denied permission to access this folder

You have been denied permission to access this folder: Hello! Thank your for taking the time to read. I recently upgraded my computer to windows 10 after having a computer hardware failure and replaced the hard drive. Now back and running. However I ran into a a few issues since, but the one that I need help with at this moment...
  9. “You have been denied permission to access this folder”

“You have been denied permission to access this folder”: why am i getting this? I been looking all over the internet on how to fix this and found some thing about a security tab but i dont see a security tab....
  10. Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "" on this server.

Access Denied. You don't have permission to access "" on this server.: ERROR MESSAGEAccess Denied You don't have permission to access "Steam Community :: Error" on this server.Reference #18.b1f31502.1439008845.47ab9a03 Hello there, I use steam. So basically what's happening is that sometimes, randomly I get this error message because of...