Windows 10: You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be...

Discus and support You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner. I had it set up on my Windows 10 desktop for the longest time then mothballed it. Dug it out to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Terry.Jones, Jan 6, 2019.

1. You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be...

I have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner.

I had it set up on my Windows 10 desktop for the longest time then mothballed it.

Dug it out to use it with a laptop and it wouldn't work. Went through all the driver reinstall etc. Figured maybe it was too old for my current Windows 10 (1803 at the time of writing this) Then I tested it back on my desktop... same windows version.... it was working under WIndows 10 on my desktop.

The symptoms on the non working laptop were as follows:

Launch Windows fax and Scan, click on New Scan and get the message "No scanners were detected."

Launched Epson Scan (version 3.24 at the time of writing) and got the message "Epson Scan cannot be started."

I used Control Panel and ran Devices and Printers. In the Devices section there was Epson Scanner, but if I double click on it I get the message "You need a WIA driver for this device."

In Windows 10 Settings I select Devices then Printer and Scanners and I can see the Epson Scanner. I click on it and select Manage. This brings up the Epson Scanner Manage your device window and I select Scanner Properties and I see no devices... Tried adding a device but it is not found.

In Device Manager I see it under Imaging Devices and it has the exact same driver as my working system and it says it is working properly.

I did a LOT of troubleshooting, driver reinstalling, Epson removal utilities, checked USB cables, tried another USB port, restarts etc... then I stumbled upon a web page somewhere that said this was an old device, plug it into a USB 2,0 port.

Yup. Simple as that. As soon as I plug the scanner into a USB 2.0 port it all worked. Plugged it back into a USB 3 port, no joy.

Now my laptop (Dell latitude E6530) has 4 USB ports, and it is NOT obvious which are USB 2 and which are USB 3... Some new systems colour the USB 3.0 ports blue. On my laptop the ports have a tiny SS beside the USB logo which stands for Super Speed. In my case the two USB 2 ports are located at the back left corner (on the angle) and the right side (eSATA USB combo port) and if I plug into those all is well. Check your system carefully, newer systems often have a mixture of USB 2 and USB 3 ports and various ways of indicating...

Hope this helps others.

:)

Terry.Jones, Jan 6, 2019

2. computer does not recognize scanner says WIA driver missing

Hi,

Solution 1: Restart Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Service

1. Type services in the search box, and then you will see services application is on the best match position. Open the services desktop application.

2. Find the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in the services.

3. Right-click Windows Image Acquisition and select Properties from the context menu.

4. In WIA services properties, select the startup type as Automatic. And then click Start button in service status.

Tips: if the services status is running, try to stop it and then restart it again.

After you click the start button, windows 10 is attempting to start the WIA service on local computer. The process takes several seconds.

5. After the services control finish, click OK button.

6. Follow above steps to start other two services: Shell Hardware Detection and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

After that, you can use the printer and scanner to test if it needs WIA driver when scanning.

Solution 2: Uninstall Scanner Driver

1. Open device manager and expand the Imaging devices.

2. Find the scanner and right-click it to select Uninstall.

Then the scanner driver will be uninstalled in your Windows 10.

3. Restart your computer, system will scan all the devices and install Windows 10 WIA driver for your scanner. And now, when you scan the documents, it can copy files properly.

Solution 3: Update Scanner WIA Driver

If the computer cannot help to install the WIA drivers correctly, you should do this thing by yourself. And sometimes, after you upgrade system to Windows 10, the incompatible or corrupted scanner driver may cause this problem. And there are two ways you can
    do to update WIA drivers for your scanner.

As the error remind, there is a CD containing WIA drivers for your Scanner, so reboot the CD with the CD/DVD drive to install the WIA driver step by step. But if you cannot find the CD media, you should go to the manufacturer’s website such as HP, Dell, Epson,
    Fujitsu.

1. Enter the scanner manufacturer’s website to find the scanner drivers and firmware, download them manually.

2. Install the scanner driver and update firmware step by step.

Solution 4: Troubleshoot for your Scanner

If the Scanner appears the error of “You need a WIA driver to use this device”, you can troubleshoot to fix the WIA driver missing problem. It is an automatic tool which can help to fix all the scanners whatever it is, Canon scanner, HP scanner or Dell scanner.

1. Go here: Windows > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

2. Find Hardware and Device, and then click Run the Troubleshooter.

It will start scanning all your Windows system devices including Scanner and find the Scanner error and then repair it automatically.

Tips: If you are using a printer which contains the scanning function, you can also choose to troubleshoot the printer.

I think these three solutions will help to solve WIA driver disappearing problem. And if the scanner cannot scan, you can do a system restore to solve it if you want.

MilagrosM2020, Jan 6, 2019
  3. Windows Fax and Scan - changing scanner

Thanks, Andre, and thanks for the screenshots. I deleted all my scanners except one (the
    Epson WF-7720 MFC). Windows Fax & Scan still tried to use another scanner, even though it was no longer showing on the Windows 10 Printers & Scanners screen nor the Device manager > Printers list. I found that scanner
    hiding in Device Manager > Imaging Devices and deleted it there.

Now when I try to start a scan, Windows Fax and Scan says "No scanners were detected..." Same error message when I use Ethan's Tools > Scan Settings suggestion. After that
    error message there is no screen to change/choose a scanner. Arghh.

Note that I can use the Epson scanner just fine with most other software:

• Corel PaintShop Pro X9 [32 bit] File > Import > From Scanner or Camera says "There appears to be no camera, scanner...present..."
    • Corel PaintShop Pro X9 [32 bit] File > Import > TWAIN source > Select Source lists all my scanners (and a webcam You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be... :) and I can select my Epson and scan OK.
    • Corel PaintShop Pro X9 [64 bit] File > Import > From Scanner or Camera says "There appears to be no camera, scanner...present..."
    • Corel PaintShop Pro X9 [64 bit] File > Import > TWAIN source > Select Source lists nothing. Apparently, that is a known bug in the 64 bit version. Maybe that is
      a clue why Windows Fax and Scan can't see my scanner?
    • Epson Scan 2 works (it should; it came with the Epson WF-7720 MFC). Strangely, it lists two scanners: "Epson WF-7710/7720 Series(Network 01)" and "Epson
      WF-7710/7720 Series(Network 02)".
    • NAPS2 ("Not Another PDF Scanner") has a Profiles button that shows my Epson scanner and scans OK. Interestingly, when I use that Profiles button to add a new scanner and select WIA driver, nothing is listed. When I
      select TWAIN Driver, I see the Windows Select Source screen that lists all my scanners (and a webcam You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be... :) (just like PaintShop Pro above). Maybe Windows Fax and Scan only sees WIA devices and not TWAIN devices??

David the IT Guy, Jan 6, 2019
  4. BadAtIT Win User

You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be...

Epson Scan Crashes - Epson Perfection V700 Scanner

I just tried a later suggestion and it worked great for me:
    On my Dell PC, right clicked Epson scan shortcut and selected "Run as administrator" ...
    A tiny pain to remember each time I'm selecting the scanner shortcut, but much less pain than the problems I was experiencing!!!

BadAtIT, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be...

1. You Need a WIA driver to use this device. No scanners were detected. Epson Scan cannot be... - Similar Threads - Need WIA driver

2. Cannot save files using Epson Scan

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot save files using Epson Scan: I have been saving files using Epson scan without any problem with Windows 10. Suddenly, today, this is not possible. The Location in File Save Settings now lists 'My Documents', 'System 32' not 'Pictures', and 'Other' with 'Scans' showing as the default. 'System 32' is...
  3. Cannot save files using Epson Scan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot save files using Epson Scan: I have been saving files using Epson scan without any problem with Windows 10. Suddenly, today, this is not possible. The Location in File Save Settings now lists 'My Documents', 'System 32' not 'Pictures', and 'Other' with 'Scans' showing as the default. 'System 32' is...
  4. No device drivers were detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No device drivers were detected: Hi, i recently got a new laptop Asus zenbook 13 and i wanted to install windows on in but when i started the install an error came saying the was no device drivers detected, i read online that i should try it in a USB 2.0 port but my laptop has got only 3.0 ports. What should...
  5. Fix You need a WIA driver to use this device error on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix You need a WIA driver to use this device error on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Many Windows users while connecting a scanner, printer, or some other device to their Windows computer are receiving the following error: You need a WIA driver to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or manufacturer’s website and try again. This...
  6. My epson scanner cannot attached a scan to an email

in Windows 10 Customization
    My epson scanner cannot attached a scan to an email: Hi, I have Outlook 2019 standalone installed on Windows 10, and Outlook is set as the default mail client. I have an Epson printer/scanner with the latest version of SmartScan. When I attempt to scan a document and attach it to an email, it fails to load Outlook. See...
  7. Scanner requires a WIA Driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scanner requires a WIA Driver: My Canon MG3650 printer /scanner has suddenly developed a problem. When I click on the scanner a message appears saying I need a WIA Driver to use this device. Canon UK are unable to help, saying it is a Windows Driver. Can somebody help me please, I have tried everything....
  8. "no scanners were detected"

"no scanners were detected": After installing the latest (10/18) windows 10 update I get a no scanners detected message when trying to scan docs. Printer works fine to print, but I can't get computer to recognize it as a scanner. Scanning worked before update, but not now. I guess I will be told to...
  9. WIA driver to use this device

WIA driver to use this device: I have a hp officejet pro 8610 all in one printer and i can not use the scanner. i am getting a error saying, you need a WIA driver to use this device. please install it from the installation cd or from manufacturer's website and try again. I got through to HP and they...
  10. Epson Scan Crashes - Epson Perfection V700 Scanner

Epson Scan Crashes - Epson Perfection V700 Scanner: I have an Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner and have not had any previous trouble with Windows 10. Recently Epson Scan started to crash. This happens when I click on any window outside the Epson scan interface and then click back into Epson scan. Then a blue circle starts...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wia driver epson

2. epson wia driver

3. wia driver for epson scanner

4. epson wia driver windows 10,
  5. wia driver epson scan,
  6. you need a wia driver to use this device,
  7. wia driver epson scanner,
  8. wia driver,
  9. wia driver epson scanner windows 10,
  10. WIA driver for epson ,
  11. epson wia driver install,