Windows 10: "You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external...

Discus and support "You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Problem: "You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to modify or copy to anything on the external hard disk. Scenario: Am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HemanthK_191, May 17, 2020.

1. "You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external...

Problem: "You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to modify or copy to anything on the external hard disk.
    Scenario: Am trying to take backup of my computer to the external hard disk.

Mode of operation / Application used: A Simple and default Windows provided operation of copy of files / folders using Windows Explorer.

Contents: There is already data on that 1TB HDD occupying about 360GB of space.

Used before?: First time using it on Windows 10.

What operation: Any modify operations such as create a file / folder, rename, delete, etc. on any file or folder.

Which file / folder has a problem: Entire hdd HAS BECOME "READ ONLY"

What solutions tried already?: Here are the links that I have explored on Microsoft website:

External Hard Drive Acess Denied on Windows 10
    "Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Windows Version: Windows 10

External hard disk being used: WD My Passport 25E1 USB Device

HDD Driver details:

Driver Date: 21-06-2006

Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1

Driver Signer: Microsoft Windows

Driver Update: Attempted. However, it says the driver is up-to-date

:)

HemanthK_191, May 17, 2020
  2. lbeck Win User

"you need permission to perform this action" for several actions?

I don't know what you mean "Go to the computer that you do have permission". The computer that I'm using doesn't grant me permission to copy a file. I have done the routine that you suggest using the properties dialog.
    "You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external... [​IMG]

lbeck, May 17, 2020
  3. lolcocks Win User
    Unable to copy anything to external storage devices (No permission)

Hello,

I have a PC in my office running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803.

Whenever I try to copy anything from that PC to a pen drive, hard disk, anything, I just get an error saying "You need permission to perform this action"

Even if I check permissions of the files as well as the pen drive I am trying to copy to, the permissions say that "Everyone" has "Full control"

Why is this happening?

Even group policy has not blocked external storage devices.

Is there some other setting I am missing?

EDIT:
    I have already watch all those YouTube videos telling me to take ownership of the file / pen drive. It has not work.
    I still get the error message saying "You need permission to perform this action".

lolcocks, May 17, 2020
  4. lbeck Win User

"You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external...

"you need permission to perform this action" for several actions?

I frequently get the error message "you need permission to perform this action". Most recently, trying to copy a file from a notebook networked drive to my desktop computer.

I'm the only person using my computers and network. Of course, I have administrator privileges. How can I keep from having this error?

"You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external... [​IMG]

lbeck, May 17, 2020
Thema:

"You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external...

1. "You need permission to perform this action" error while trying to copy files to external... - Similar Threads - need permission perform

2. "You need permission to perform this action"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You need permission to perform this action": As you can see, when I try to move this folder, it says this:How can I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-need-permission-to-perform-this-action/f5893ff2-aa88-4d23-a48a-f75ddc3136e2
  3. "You need permission to perform this action"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You need permission to perform this action": As you can see, when I try to move this folder, it says this:How can I stop this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-need-permission-to-perform-this-action/f5893ff2-aa88-4d23-a48a-f75ddc3136e2
  4. "You need permission to perform this action"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. “you need permission to perform this action”

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “you need permission to perform this action”: i need some help figuring this out all i want to do is simply drag and drop something into my folder inside the windowsapp folder but its not letting me and ive tried changing who has access to it and there is only one account on the computer and it wont let me change it....
  6. You need permission to perform this action.

You need permission to perform this action.: My hard drive is bugged to where it thinks that I am not an administrator and that I don't have permission to modify my hard drive. Every time I try to download or update a game, or modify and delete a file, it says I don't have permission to perform this action. On steam it...
  7. You need permission to perform this action.

You need permission to perform this action.: My hard drive is bugged to where it thinks that I am not an administrator and that I don't have permission to modify my hard drive. Every time I try to download or update a game, or modify and delete a file, it says I don't have permission to perform this action. On steam it...
  8. Error: You need permission to perform this action while deleting a folder

Error: You need permission to perform this action while deleting a folder: I own HP PROBBOK 440 G4 running windows 10. My issue is that sometimes while deleting any folder from my (generally video folders) it says you need to need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder and when i press continue new dialog box pop up says you...
  9. you need permission to perform this action

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    you need permission to perform this action: So basically I just got a new laptop and whenever i try to delete certain files this notification comes up and it prevents me from deleting the file. I've watched many videos on youtube to fix this problem but none works. I'm the only account on this laptop and I am the...
  10. You need permission to perform this action

You need permission to perform this action: New Dell XPS-8900 running Win10. I created a Homegroup on the 8900 and joined the Homegroup with my Win8.1 laptop. When I try to copy a file from the laptop to the 8900 (or from the 8900 to the laptop) I get this error: ..... You need permission to perform this action....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. you need permission to perform the copy to external device error