Windows 10: You need to format the disk before you can use it

Discus and support You need to format the disk before you can use it in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have this problem where when I try to access a drive it says You need to format the disk before you can use and it has format disk and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Donnes78, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Donnes78 Win User

You need to format the disk before you can use it

Hello,

I have this problem where when I try to access a drive it says You need to format the disk before you can use and it has format disk and cancel options to click, Any solutions would be appreciated. The drive isnt removable either.

:)

Donnes78, Dec 2, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 2, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cannot Format HD

Need to initialize it as GPT disk type with HD > 2TB:
    From Admin command prompt:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk =====> Take a note of disk # for the 4TB HD
    3. select disk # ====> From step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize the disk as GPT, create simple then format.

topgundcp, Dec 2, 2018
  4. John Vil Win User

Windows format disk message

Hello Marcos,

There may be several reasons why you are being prompted to have your pen drive formatted every time you plug it in to your PC. This prompt, however, may not be disabled. To isolate what's causing this issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did this issue start?
    • Were there any hardware/software changes on your PC prior to this happening?
    • Was your pen drive improperly pulled out from the USB port?
    • Have you tried plugging your pen drive to a different USB port or a different computer?

In the meantime we suggest you to check if your pen drive appears under
    Disk Management
    without any error. To check, follow the steps below:

• Click Windows + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Check and see if your pen drive shows on the list.

We will be waiting for your response.

John Vil, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

1. You need to format the disk before you can use it - Similar Threads - need format disk

2. How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...: How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can use it use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-you-need-to-format-disk-in-drive-d/1eec4550-8f1c-42c2-a3da-9552663e43be
  3. How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can ? You need to format disk...: How to solve ? You need to format disk in drive d: before you can use it use it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-solve-you-need-to-format-disk-in-drive-d/1eec4550-8f1c-42c2-a3da-9552663e43be
  4. Format disk before you can use it

Format disk before you can use it: So I was creating bootable windows 10 on my pen drive using the windows media tool from the official Microsoft website. it was going well but at one point it stopped at 50% it was not moving at all for like an hour. tried to open another program but it got froze "not...
  5. Format disk before you can use it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format disk before you can use it: So I was creating bootable windows 10 on my pen drive using the windows media tool from the official Microsoft website. it was going well but at one point it stopped at 50% it was not moving at all for like an hour. tried to open another program but it got froze "not...
  6. Format disk before you can use it

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...: I am getting this message constantly pop up every few minutes: That drive is for my external hard drive connected via a USB cable. It hosts an ext4 file system. I connect to this file system via wsl, i.e. via wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 --partition 1However, despite...
  8. How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...

How do I stop the "you need to format the disk in drive before you can use it" box from...: I am getting this message constantly pop up every few minutes: That drive is for my external hard drive connected via a USB cable. It hosts an ext4 file system. I connect to this file system via wsl, i.e. via wsl --mount \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 --partition 1However, despite...
  9. "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "The directory name is invalid" "you need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use...: I get these 2 messages every time i place a SD card into the SD slot of my laptop [ATTACH][ATTACH] This only happens when I place my SD card in the SD slot however if I place the SD card into a usb converter it works perfectly. But in disk management when the SD card is in...
  10. format External USB hard disk before you can use it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    format External USB hard disk before you can use it.: I have an Icybox USB3 external hard drive box, which worked fine until recently. The box has no drivers to install, it uses the ones supplied by Microsoft with Windows. It worked fine with Windows 8, it worked fine with windows 10 when I did the upgrade. I was able to...