Windows 10: You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file.

Discus and support You require permission from to make changes to this file. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bazsl, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Bazsl Win User

You require permission from to make changes to this file.

A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive to an internal drive. Most of the files copied by some generated an error dialog with the message "You'll need to provide Administrator permission to copy this file." When I click Continue a second error dialog appears with the message "You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file." where <owner> is the owner of the file.

1. There is only one account on the new PC and that account is an Administrator.
    2. I changed the owner of the entire folder tree on the external drive to one account on the new PC.
    3. I verified that the owner of the files that will not copy was changed to the only account on the new PC.

Even after changing the owner the above errors still occur when I try to copy the files to the internal drive. The problem lies with the source files because I get the error dialogs regardless of which drive or folder I try to copy to. How can I fix this? Thanks.

:)

Bazsl, Oct 3, 2018
  2. slance310 Win User

You require permission from yourself to make changes to this file

Hi,

Try changing the Owner to your user account, then add your user account to the list of users and give full permissions...

May or may not work with a encrypted file..

slance310, Oct 3, 2018
  3. Skiff640 Win User
    Excel changes the owner of file during save

I just duplicated the problem with a brand new Excel file that had nothing to do with the old XP machine ...
    • Signed in as the original owner who is in the administrator group
    • Created a new Excel file in the same folder as above
    • Edited the file with Excel as the original owner ... saved
    • Checked ownership and permissions. Everything looks OK, including the inherited permissions from the folder
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as a second user who is not in the Administrator group
    • Edited the the file with Excel as the second user ... saved the file with changes
    • Signed off
    • Signed on as the original owner
    • Checked ownership and permissions. The ownership of the file has changed to the second user.

The original and second users are the exact same users described in the post above. Uggghhh ...

Clueless in Houston ...

Skiff640, Oct 3, 2018
  4. You require permission from to make changes to this file.

you don't have permission to open this file contact the file owner or an administrator

Hi,

This could be due to one of the following reasons:

• You don’t have permission to access the file,
    • The file you are trying to access is corrupt,
    • If you are using any third party security software, it may be blocking the file.

In most of the cases, this issue occurs when the user doesn’t have sufficient permissions to access the file. So I would suggest you to take ownership of the file and then check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps:

• Right-click the program
      that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    • Click the Security tab, and then click OK
      on the Security message (if one appears).
    • Click Advanced, and then click change. Enter your password if prompted.
    • Type in your username and press
      enter.
    • If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select
      the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.
    • Click OK and close all the windows.
    • Follow step a and b, click
      on advanced.
    • Under "permissions" tab, select your user account
      and click on "change permissions"
    • Check the "Replace all child object permission entries from this object." option and click
      Ok.
    • All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

You require permission from to make changes to this file.

1. You require permission from to make changes to this file. - Similar Threads - require permission <owner>

2. You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner: Hi,I have problem with deleting some folders from Program Files. I'm getting message: "You require permission from DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername to make changes to this folder.". I was getting the same message before, but instead of "DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername" was "SYSTEM", so I...
  3. You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner: Hi,I have problem with deleting some folders from Program Files. I'm getting message: "You require permission from DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername to make changes to this folder.". I was getting the same message before, but instead of "DESKTOP-xxx\myUsername" was "SYSTEM", so I...
  4. You require permission from [ME] to make changes to this file even though I'm the owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. You require permission to make changes to this file

You require permission to make changes to this file: Hi,I turned my pc on today and all of a sudden I can't edit a file. It's a python file if that changes anything, but I don't think it does. For example, when trying to rename the file I get:I have tried to change the owner of the file but I get a different error when that...
  6. You require permission to make changes to this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You require permission to make changes to this file: Hi,I turned my pc on today and all of a sudden I can't edit a file. It's a python file if that changes anything, but I don't think it does. For example, when trying to rename the file I get:I have tried to change the owner of the file but I get a different error when that...
  7. You require permission to make changes to this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file

You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file: I had installed PTC creo 4.0 student version on my laptop, but it didn't opened even after successful installation. I uninstalled the software but some files couldn't be deleted which was located in C:\Program Files (x86)\PTC\Mathcad PDSi\Resource\CMap. These files were...
  9. You require permission from everyone to make changes to this file

You require permission from everyone to make changes to this file: I cant copy a file from a cd drive and the one solution I've seen doesn't work as this file doesn't have a security tab under properties https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-require-permission-from-everyone-to-make/d0c54115-9ce5-474e-ad16-74d2024e2d4e"
  10. You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file.: A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive to an internal drive. Most of the files copied by some generated an error dialog with the message "You'll need to provide...