Windows 10: You require permission to make changes to this file

Discus and support You require permission to make changes to this file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi,I turned my pc on today and all of a sudden I can't edit a file. It's a python file if that changes anything, but I don't think it does. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TXOG, Jul 5, 2022.

1. TXOG Win User

You require permission to make changes to this file

Hi,I turned my pc on today and all of a sudden I can't edit a file. It's a python file if that changes anything, but I don't think it does. For example, when trying to rename the file I get:I have tried to change the owner of the file but I get a different error when that occurs:Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks

:)

TXOG, Jul 5, 2022
  2. tom acito Win User

how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

this is for a file... how for a folder and ALL subfolders and files

thanks.

tom acito, Jul 5, 2022
  3. how to change folder and file permissions in windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you trying to give permission to particular files and folders?
    I suggest you to follow the below step and check if it helps.

• Once you choose the file that you want to give permission, right click on it.
    • Click on properties and go to security tab, check whether any permission have been set.
    • After you have viewed the permissions that are already set, you can now click on the Advanced Button that is right below the "Permissions for Authenticated Users"
    • Once you have clicked Advanced, a box like this should appear, the "Permission Entries" box, which shows all the permissions that are set for the users. Now, after you have spotted the user whose permissions you wish to change, click "Change Permissions.
    • Click on the user you would like to edit, and then click the option that says "Change Permissions" which is right below the box.
    • Once that is clicked, you are going to get the same box pop up, but this time, you can actually edit the options. You do that by clicking the "Administrators" user again, and this time, you are going to click the "Edit" option.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 5, 2022
  4. You require permission to make changes to this file

Deleting a file that requires permission from Administrator

I'm trying to delete a file that keeps telling me I need permission to perform this action. I require permission from Administrators to make changes to this file.

Now if I look under User Accounts on the control panel there is only ONE account listed: mine as administrator.

However, under the properies window for the file there are three:

SYSTEM

Administrators (DJ Hernandez\Administrators)

Users (DJ Hernandez\Users)

The first two are listed as Full control on the Permissions tab of the Advanced Security Settings for the file. The Users is listed as Read. All three under Inherited From have C:\Program Data\Avg\Antivirus\

Is there any way that will allow me to get rid of this file? This belongs to a program that I have deleted using the Control Panel but it still shows up in the program listing under Programs and Features of the Control Panel.

Wild Child, Jul 5, 2022
Thema:

You require permission to make changes to this file

1. You require permission to make changes to this file - Similar Threads - require permission changes

2. You require permission to make changes to this folder

in Windows 10 News
    You require permission to make changes to this folder: [IMG]If you see Folder Access Denied, You require permission to make changes to this folder error message while deleting the file(s) located inside a particular folder, this article will help you. You may also encounter the same error message while copying or deleting the...
  3. You require permission to make changes to this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    You require permission to make changes to this file: Hi,I turned my pc on today and all of a sudden I can't edit a file. It's a python file if that changes anything, but I don't think it does. For example, when trying to rename the file I get:I have tried to change the owner of the file but I get a different error when that...
  4. You require permission to make changes to this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    You require permission to make changes to this file: Hi,I turned my pc on today and all of a sudden I can't edit a file. It's a python file if that changes anything, but I don't think it does. For example, when trying to rename the file I get:I have tried to change the owner of the file but I get a different error when that...
  5. "You require permission from Everyone to make changes to this file" On a flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "You require permission from Everyone to make changes to this file" On a flash drive: For some reason, When I try to edit the metadata of a music file on my flashdrive, It says this.This is mostly weird because there is no security tab. What could be happening?...
  6. you require permissions from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this

in Windows 10 Support
    you require permissions from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this: I have recently formatted my system. I had copied the items of C:\Windows\WinSxS from my previous install in a USB drive and then formatted the laptop. Then re installed windows and copied the contents of USB drive back to C:\Windows\WinSxS however I notice the boot time has...
  7. You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this file: I had installed PTC creo 4.0 student version on my laptop, but it didn't opened even after successful installation. I uninstalled the software but some files couldn't be deleted which was located in C:\Program Files (x86)\PTC\Mathcad PDSi\Resource\CMap. These files were...
  8. You require permission from everyone to make changes to this file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    You require permission from everyone to make changes to this file: I cant copy a file from a cd drive and the one solution I've seen doesn't work as this file doesn't have a security tab under properties https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-require-permission-from-everyone-to-make/d0c54115-9ce5-474e-ad16-74d2024e2d4e"
  9. You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file.: A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive to an internal drive. Most of the files copied by some generated an error dialog with the message "You'll need to provide...
  10. You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file.

in Windows 10 Support
    You require permission from <owner> to make changes to this file.: A friend has a new Win 10 PC. After connecting an external drive from the old PC to the new PC we tried to copy a folder tree from the external drive to an internal drive. Most of the files copied by some generated an error dialog with the message "You'll need to provide...