Windows 10: you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder

Discus and support you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Any external drive I connect to my computer SD card, external HD, USB stick I can't operate normally. If there are any files - I can see and use all... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Victor1111YB, Apr 4, 2021.

1. you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder

Any external drive I connect to my computer SD card, external HD, USB stick I can't operate normally.

If there are any files - I can see and use all of them but i am not able to copy them or delete them from the external hard disk or USB . Also I am not able to copy any file from my laptop to them.

Whenever I try to do so, there is an error message saying, "you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder".

I have tried the methods by goggling it but issue still persists.
    Please help me.

:)

Victor1111YB, Apr 4, 2021
  2. Geethu B Win User

"You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file"

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with copying files from expansion drive to the computer.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the issue specific with a file?
    • Did you tried copying the file to a different location?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Permission issue.

• Damaged files.
    I suggest you to try the steps under the section Issue 2: I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders
    in the following article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Note:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. You may need to be logged on as an administrator to change file and folder permissions.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Apr 4, 2021
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file

Hi,

Follow the Steps below and check if that helps.

As you are unable to transfer some files from an external hard drive to the computer requesting for Administrator permissions, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to provide administrator permissions to the particular folder and check if it
    helps.

• Right click on the folder and select
      Properties.
    • Click on Edit button in Properties windows. Click ok to confirm UAC elevation request.
    • Select user/group from permission windows or click
      Add to add other user or group.
    • Now under Permission section check the rights which you want to grant i.e. check “Full Control” under the “Allow” column to assign full access rights control permissions. (Generally we add ‘Everyone’ to given permission to all
      the users on the computer).
    • Edit the permission to Full Control for ‘Everyone’.
    • Click OK for changes to take effect and click ok again to exit from Properties window.

Do let us know if you are able to transfer files to PC. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Apr 4, 2021
  4. Marby Rey Win User

you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder

no administrator permission

Hi Ryan,

Let us assist you to have an Administrator permission. To start, follow the steps below to enable the Windows Super Administrator Account.

• Type CMD on the search box.
    • CMD will appear at top.
    • Right click on it, then choose Run as administrator.
    • Type this command & hit Enter: Net user administrator /active:yes.
    • After you enable the Super Administrator account, log out on your existing account then log into Super Administrator account.
    • On the Super Administrator account, you can now create an Administrator account or give Administrator permission on the existing account.

After you created an Administrator account, we suggest that you disable the Super Administrator account by following the same steps and using this command:
    Net user administrator /active:no.

Let us know how it goes.

Marby Rey, Apr 4, 2021
Thema:

you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder

1. you'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder - Similar Threads - you'll need provide

2. "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder.": In trying to copy a folder from a flash drive to my computer, I get the message "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder."The instructions I have seen for fixing the problem seem dated and the problem unresolved but they say to go to 'Properties'...
  3. "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder.": In trying to copy a folder from a flash drive to my computer, I get the message "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder."The instructions I have seen for fixing the problem seem dated and the problem unresolved but they say to go to 'Properties'...
  4. "You'll need to provide administrator permission to move this folder."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Destination folder access denied. You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy...

Destination folder access denied. You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy...: So I own a laptop with Windows 10 as the operating system. For some reason, I can transfer files from my external hard drive, or flash drives to the laptop, but when it comes to transferring files from my laptop to an external hard drive or flash drive, I get this annoying...
  6. Destination folder access denied. You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Destination folder access denied. You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy...: So I own a laptop with Windows 10 as the operating system. For some reason, I can transfer files from my external hard drive, or flash drives to the laptop, but when it comes to transferring files from my laptop to an external hard drive or flash drive, I get this annoying...
  7. Destination folder access denied. You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. You'll need to provide administrator permission to rename this folder

in Windows 10 Support
    You'll need to provide administrator permission to rename this folder: I don't get it. I get this message from Win10 Home: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to rename this folder" but when I click the "continue" button, it does it anyway. This happens for various things in Win10. It pops up the messages for nothing since it does...
  9. "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file"

"You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file": I've seen other locked threads about this, but none of them suggested solutions that I have been able to get to work. I am trying to copy MP3 files from an old computer to a new one, via an external hard drive. When I attempt to transfer them from the hard drive to the new...
  10. You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file

You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file: Greetings, I am trying to copy some files from my old computer to my new one. Old computer is Windows 7 Pro. New computer is Windows 10 Pro. I'm using an external USB hard drive to do the transfer. Most files and folders are moving just fine. One will not copy from the...