Windows 10: Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart

Discus and support Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Forum search did not return any entries, and on-line search did, but those replies were either vague or contradictory, so here I am at the source. Once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Not Myself, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart

Forum search did not return any entries, and on-line search did, but those replies were either vague or contradictory, so here I am at the source. Once yesterday, and a short while ago today I encountered this quite unwelcome popup message.

When you get it, Windows collects some data and then restarts. Where should I start to find out and fix whatever it is that is causing this?

:)

Not Myself, Dec 17, 2018
  2. Jessen P Win User

Getting Error message" The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unxpected error"

Hi Sarah,

I would suggest you to perform the startup repair using the Windows 10 installation media from the below link and check if it helps.

Boot from the Windows 10 installation media and then perform automatic repair and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to perform Automatic repair:

• Insert installation media and restart the computer.
    • Select language and click on Next.
    • Select Repair your Computer and click on Skip this drive.
    • Select Troubleshoot and click on Advanced Options.
    • Here choose the option Automatic Repair and follow the prompted instructions.
    Please revert if the computer still does not start.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Computer randomly has black screen and restarts

Taco this could be software also. Before you get all crazy, do as Erocker suggested. Find out the error in the Event Viewer. Look for the faulting module and the error code itself. Also check the reliability monitor. At the bottom it will have "View all Error Reports". Post a screen of whats in there if anything.

This could be a simple as a bad driver install.

ALSO have you downloaded or installed anything lately? STAY OUT OF THE DAMN BIOS UNTIL WE KNOW THE ERROR! lol. I know you. Baby steps boy, baby steps.

TheMailMan78, Dec 17, 2018
  4. Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart

Bluescreen error encountered

Hello Sushovan,

Let's determine the cause of the issue. To get started, we'd like to get the following information:

• Is this your first time to encounter this error?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?
    For possible troubleshooting steps, please check this article: Troubleshoot blue screen errors.

Looking forward to your response.

Antoneth Ber, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart

1. Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart - Similar Threads - computer has encountered

2. “Your device has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted. We just collect...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    “Your device has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted. We just collect...: For almost an hour, I have not been able to access the desktop of my Windows 11. When I start it, I come across a blue screen where it says “Your device has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted. We just collect information related to errors and then we will restart...
  3. “Your device has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted. We just collect...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “Your device has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted. We just collect...: For almost an hour, I have not been able to access the desktop of my Windows 11. When I start it, I come across a blue screen where it says “Your device has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted. We just collect information related to errors and then we will restart...
  4. laptop has encountered a problem and needs to restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop has encountered a problem and needs to restart: Hi everyone. Ok I bought a hp laptop last year whilst my old hp laptop was being fixed . Recently my old laptop overheated and no way of getting to the fan to see if it needed cleaning so I got my newer laptop out and use that. So I keep getting messages saying your laptop...
  5. laptop has encountered a problem and needs to restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    laptop has encountered a problem and needs to restart: Hi everyone. Ok I bought a hp laptop last year whilst my old hp laptop was being fixed . Recently my old laptop overheated and no way of getting to the fan to see if it needed cleaning so I got my newer laptop out and use that. So I keep getting messages saying your laptop...
  6. Microsoft has encountered a problem, we will fix it and restart your computer. For more...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft has encountered a problem, we will fix it and restart your computer. For more...: The error on my Toshiba Satellite operating with Windows 10, says Microsoft has encountered a problem, we will fix it and restart your computer. For more info so to microsift.support.com/stopcode Please advise as I see no further info. and this is happening every day....
  7. Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart

Your computer has encountered an error and needs to restart: Forum search did not return any entries, and on-line search did, but those replies were either vague or contradictory, so here I am at the source. Once yesterday, and a short while ago today I encountered this quite unwelcome popup message. When you get it, Windows collects...
  8. (Application) has encountered an error and needs to close

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    (Application) has encountered an error and needs to close: Norton Identity Protection 'spins' when trying to get my password from the cloud. Norton says it's a Windows problem... I am trying to allow Norton to access my system remotely. I get the following error; "LogMeIn Rescue has encountered a problem and needs to close". I'm...
  9. (Application) has encountered an error and needs to close

in Windows 10 Support
    (Application) has encountered an error and needs to close: Norton Identity Protection 'spins' when trying to get my password from the cloud. Norton says it's a Windows problem... I am trying to allow Norton to access my system remotely. I get the following error; "LogMeIn Rescue has encountered a problem and needs to close". I'm...
  10. "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart."

"Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart.": I was using my computer today when suddenly a bluescreen message saying "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart" popped up. It had some other information and some sort of countdown. I ran into another room to grab my camera to take a picture of the message, but...