Windows 10: "Your connection is not private"

Discus and support "Your connection is not private" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I keep getting this error with almost every website I go to, Google, Reddit, Facebook, etc. "Your connection is not private Attackers might be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GuyInDogSuit, Sep 16, 2016.

1. "Your connection is not private"

I keep getting this error with almost every website I go to, Google, Reddit, Facebook, etc.

"Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from Google (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).
    NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID"

I get a similar error with Firefox, Internet Exploder, and Edge. This has been going on ever since the other night when my roommate decided there was something wrong with the internet (was working fine for everyone else) and did something to it in an attempt to "fix it." She's not home right now, and the person who has the internet in their name isn't, either, so I can't contact AT&T to fix it. How can I fix this myself?

:)

GuyInDogSuit, Sep 16, 2016

2. " Can't find maps on your phone " . Please help

@markus8814

Upon N97 Mini map data could be stored upon either mass memory or memory card with choice available within Nokia Maps application > Settings. Don't want you removing map data unnecessarily but you may possibly need to delete both E:\cities and F:\cities
    + .qf file and re-start Nokia Maps application to re-define necessary folder structure; it may help to set Nokia Maps "Online" and download a few kb's of map data via WLAN access point by zooming in to your current location and start again downloading maps
    to chosen destination.

aspergerguy, Sep 16, 2016
  3. " Can't find maps on your phone " . Please help

Almost certainly as not enough free phone memory to store maps.

aspergerguy, Sep 16, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

"Your connection is not private"

Is it only your computer having the problem?

Mystere, Sep 16, 2016
  5. Nope. My phone and both my tablets, too.

GuyInDogSuit, Sep 16, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    Sounds like they did something on the router that is filtering secure traffic, which typically involves installing a self-signed certificate to decode the traffic, analyze it, then re-encode it.

Regardless, unless you have access to the router password, probably nothing you can do.

Mystere, Sep 16, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    Nah. That's too clever. They probably just did something really stupid like setting WiFi security to 'None'.

"Your connection is not private" [​IMG]

8. bro67 Win User

Bree all OS's are doing that now when it comes to WEP or no security. I have seen it on WPA/WPA2 Mixed for the service that Holiday Inn Suites use.

bro67, Sep 16, 2016
  9. Wullail Win User
    Yeah , sounds like the routers encryption has been turned off , check the properties of the wifi connection and see what it says.

Wullail, Sep 16, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Sometimes it is actually the device that is the culprit. With the changes to iOS 10, you get a whole new type of message when you are on a unsecured network, even if it is using WPA/WPA2.

bro67, Sep 16, 2016
  11. ARC1020 Win User
    ^ This.

Your connection is being Man-In-The-Middled by something. Therefore your browsers are warning you that the Common Name on the TLS certificates are different to the URL's displayed in the address bar of your browser. I.E. The Common Name on the TLS Certificate for www[.]google.com isn't actually showing www[.]google.com as it should be.

You need to speak to the person who owns the router/internet connection (the bill payer) as you're roommate shouldn't be screwing with the router in this way. Assume everything you've done during the time when you've been receiving the warnings has been read by someone else in plain text, including all usernames and passwords. Therefore if you were able to bypass the browser warnings, once the problem has been rectified and you're no longer receiving the warnings, you're going to need to change all passwords that have been used during that time.

If you go to www[.]google.com in Internet Explorer, then click on the padlock in the address bar > View Certificates (you can't do this in Edge), the below pic is what the Google TLS Certificate should look like. You'll probably find something else showing instead of www[.]google.com, hence the warnings. But that's of course if the browser will even let you, because poor browser design quite often means it's not possible to see the certificate that's causing the errors. I very much doubt there will be an actual padlock on your computer due the cert error, but it may or may not give you the possibility to still view the certificate causing the error.

ARC1020, Sep 16, 2016
  12. Kbird Win User
    Thanks @ARC1020 good info ....

so it looks like the Roommate turned off the Wifi Security cos She forgot the Password then ? that's not good...

Kbird, Sep 16, 2016
  13. Mystere Win User

You won't get an HTTPS certificate warning from turning off WiFi encryption. This is something else.

Mystere, Sep 16, 2016
  14. No, it's definitely not the router encryption. The password is still in place. She stated that the problem began a couple days ago, and she contacted AT&T, and discussed the problem with Greg, the account holder. She stated they were unsuccessful in fixing the problem. According to the AT&T rep she spoke to, there has been "inappropriate activity" on the account, so they placed a "block" on it. Our guess is someone is downloading copyrighted material. What baffles me is that they didn't block torrenting sites, but instead blocked Google.com, YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, and various other social media sites. Oddly enough, I checked out a few well-known torrent sites, and I can access them. I can also access Bing and Yahoo. So Google searches are not allowed, but torrent sites are? Makes no sense.

GuyInDogSuit, Sep 17, 2016
  15. As a precaution, scan your machine for malware. Please download and run the following tools.
    Note that some tools, by the nature of malware remediation, or actions described in this post change some configuration settings.
    Extensions might have to be downloaded again or you might have to reconfigure some personalized settings.

• Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC) by Oldtimer
      • Save your work and close all open windows.

• Restart your machine in case there are any system operations pending

• Navigate to your Downloads folder
        Right click on TFC
        Select Run as administrator

• Press the start button in the TFC window
        TFC begins cleaning up temporary files and folders.

!!!!! Do not work on other things while TFC is running !!!!!
        Most applications use some sort of temporary files
      • Restart your machine immediately after TFC completes

• Download AdwCleaner by Xplode
      • Save your work and close all open windows.

• Navigate to your Downloads folder
        Right click AdwCleaner
        Pick Run as administrator

• Click on the Scan button.
        • AdwCleaner begins scanning your system. It might take some time to complete.

• Review the detected objects grouped under each of the tabs.
          <!> If there is something you KNOW should NOT be cleaned, clear the checkbox
          next to the object.
          <!> If you're not sure about an object, paste the scan logfile (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) in a new post

Otherwise, go to the next step.
      • After the scan has finished and you have reviewed the objects to be cleaned, click on the Clean button.
        • Answer OK to the close all programs prompt, then follow the onscreen prompts.
        • Answer OK to the restart the computer prompt to complete the removal process.
          The AdwCleaner log file is opened in your default Text editor when the machine has restarted.
          Each time AdwCleaner runs, the log file number [#] is incremented, the highest number is the most recent. There are two log files, one for the scan (AdwCleaner[S#].txt) and one for the clean (AdwCleaner[C#].txt).

• Paste the entire clean logfile (AdwCleaner[C#].txt) in your next post.
          <!> AdwCleaner logs are located in C:\AdwCleaner

• Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free - Windows 7 Help Forums

• Malwarebytes Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)

For Google Chrome: Google forum: Attackers might be trying to steal your information from ...
    For other browsers:
    Check the home page, reset if necessary
    Clear the Cache and history

Reset browser

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
    Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings | Firefox Help

Slartybart, Sep 17, 2016
Thema:

1. "Your connection is not private" - Similar Threads - connection private

2. I can't Connect to Private Networks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't Connect to Private Networks.: Hello, I am currently stuck because I can connect to public Wi-Fi networks, where the connection requires a password, however when I try and connect to my own Wi-Fi it allows me to put my password in, however when it "checks network requirements" it just comes back as "Can't...
  3. I can't Connect to Private Networks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't Connect to Private Networks.: Hello, I am currently stuck because I can connect to public Wi-Fi networks, where the connection requires a password, however when I try and connect to my own Wi-Fi it allows me to put my password in, however when it "checks network requirements" it just comes back as "Can't...
  4. I can't Connect to Private Networks.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  6. Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network

Unable to connect to computer on local home, private network: Computer 1 and Computer 2 are on the same Workgroup. There are No Windows Credentials on either Computer 1 or Computer 2. I am not getting the Enter Network Credentials windows anymore on either computer on trying to access the other computer from one computer. I have made...
  7. "connection not private notice" received on trusted sites

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "connection not private notice" received on trusted sites: I have started receiving continual notice of "connection not private notice" on most websites I have visited in the past. I use Windows 10.* Moved from Community Center...
  8. "connection not private notice" received on trusted sites

"connection not private notice" received on trusted sites: I have started receiving continual notice of "connection not private notice" on most websites I have visited in the past. I use Windows 10.* Moved from Community Center...
  9. "connection not private notice" received on trusted sites

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private?

How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private?: How do a change an ethernet connection ffrom public to private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-a-change-an-ethernet-connection-ffrom/40af81b9-48a1-40bd-a16e-712ad9897f4a