Windows 10: "Your File History Drive Full", when it shouldn't be full at all

Discus and support "Your File History Drive Full", when it shouldn't be full at all in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I can't seem to back up. I have a Western Digital External 8Tb drive, trying to back up 3Tb of data. The WD backup drive is a single partition NTFS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DAO, May 3, 2017.

1. DAO
    DAO Win User

"Your File History Drive Full", when it shouldn't be full at all

I can't seem to back up. I have a Western Digital External 8Tb drive, trying to back up 3Tb of data. The WD backup drive is a single partition NTFS.

I tried the WD backup software that came with the drive. When the drive was completely empty and new, the WD backup software said it couldn't back up because the drive was full. (???) I wrote to WD to ask how to fix the problem, and they wrote back something that was dismissive, so unintelligible it looked like his keyboard was broken, and completely unhelpful.

I tried Window's BackUp. It cranked away for a couple days, which seemed to be doing something.

Now, I get an error message every day saying "Your File History drive is full and cannot back up."

I checked my settings, and selected "keep saved versions until space is needed", so it SHOULD be clearing out space as necessary to keep the 3Tb up to date.

"Devices and Drives" says my WD ext HD only has 100Gb remaining, and is full. However, in that drive, I only see 3 files. MediaD.bin, for 1kb. A file folder with my computer's name, which "Properties" tells me is empty and 0 bytes. Then the FileHistory folder. Properties tells me my "FileHistory" folder is 3Tb. Great, that's what it SHOULD be if it did the first backup correctly.

Then why is my drive full and File History can't run? Somewhere in the File History settings, I found the option to delete all previous versions of files and only keep the most recent ones. So I did that. It threw away a bunch of stuff, but the drive now only says 160Gb remaining.

I have a 3Tb folder on an 8Tb drive. Why is my drive still saying it's "full", with only a sliver of space remaining? Why can't I do daily synch backups?

Every time File History tries to kick on and run a backup, it says "File History is saving copies of your files for the first time." Why is it not acknowledging the 3Tb that it supposedly copied over the actual first time? I can't seem to access that data, either.

Anyone have a clue what's going on, or how I can actually get a backup to function properly?

:)

2. "Your File History Drive Full", when it shouldn't be full at all

I can't seem to back up. I have a Western Digital External 8Tb drive, trying to back up 3Tb of
    data. The WD backup drive is a single partition NTFS.

I tried the WD backup software that came with the drive. When the drive was completely empty and new, the WD backup software said it couldn't back up because the drive was full. (???) I wrote to WD to ask how
    to fix the problem, and they wrote back something that was dismissive, so unintelligible it looked like his keyboard was broken, and completely unhelpful.

I tried Window's BackUp. It cranked away for a couple days, which seemed to be doing something.

Now, I get an error message every day saying "Your File History drive is full and cannot back up."

I checked my settings, and selected "keep saved versions until space is needed", so it SHOULD be clearing out space as necessary to keep the 3Tb up to date.

"Devices and Drives" says my WD ext HD only has 100Gb remaining, and is full. However, in that drive, I only see 3 files. MediaD.bin, for 1kb. A file folder with my computer's name, which "Properties" tells me is empty and 0 bytes. Then the FileHistory folder.
    Properties tells me my "FileHistory" folder is 3Tb. Great, that's what it SHOULD be if it did the first backup correctly.

Then why is my drive full and File History can't run? Somewhere in the File History settings, I found the option to delete all previous versions of files and only keep the most recent ones. So I did that. It threw away a bunch of stuff, but the drive now only
    says 160Gb remaining.

I have a 3Tb folder on an 8Tb drive. Why is my drive still saying it's "full", with only a sliver of space remaining? Why can't I do daily synch backups?

Every time File History tries to kick on and run a backup, it says "File History is saving copies of your files for the first time." Why is it not acknowledging the 3Tb that it supposedly copied over the actual
    first time? I can't seem to access that data, either.

Anyone have a clue what's going on, or how I can actually get a backup to function properly?

David AndrewOttman, May 3, 2017
  3. Jelu Cal Win User

Hi David,

This may be due to the partitioning scheme that is currently running on your device. The Windows operating system normally supports storage devices up to 2 terabytes. To know more about the partition limits of storage devices and the role of GUID Partition
    Table (GPT), you can check the post of Morgan Che [MSFT] on this

link

Also, you can visit this
    link
    to check the steps on how to initialize a storage device by using GPT.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Jelu Cal, May 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, there are a couple of questions which are similar on the forum, and elsewhere on the net. Unfortunately they were not answered here.

If you just search the forum for File History, there are many results- perhaps more than one might hope.

So I'm not sure you'll get a useful answer, I'm afraid. (I don't use it myself, although I can understand why it would appeal).

I rely on disk imaging periodically, which File History would seem to complement.

Here's a post on resetting it:
    How do I totally reset File History? - Solved - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, May 4, 2017
  5. bestellen Win User
    This may be due to the partitioning scheme that is currently running on your device. The Windows operating system normally supports storage devices up to 2 terabytes. To know more about the partition limits of storage devices and the role of GUID Partition Table (GPT), you can check the post of Morgan Che [MSFT] on this link.
    Also, you can visit this link to check the steps on how to initialize a storage device by using GPT.

bestellen, May 5, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good point- I missed that.
    Maximum Volume Sizes

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "Your File History Drive Full", when it shouldn't be full at all - Similar Threads - File History Drive

2. d drive says it is full when it is not

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    d drive says it is full when it is not: my d drive is saying it is full when trying to put a folder in the root but i have 500 gb free https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/d-drive-says-it-is-full-when-it-is-not/51ab1753-2730-4466-ae75-f3389cdf2658
  3. PC full format of all drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC full format of all drives: My pc has been having problems and wanted a clean start so i decided to remove everything through windows reset now it's stuck at resetting this PC 99% for more than 3hrs. Should i wait it out or just cancel it?...
  4. Full permissions for all files?

Full permissions for all files?: Hi, currently having another issue. Excuse my little rant. There are two files I want to delete or rename. In this instance, it is because they are intro videos for a game off the microsoft store that take 2-3 minutes to watch each time the game loads before you get to the...
  5. 54GB Hard Drive full when ALL personal files are only on One Drive

54GB Hard Drive full when ALL personal files are only on One Drive: Hi, I have a Surface Pro 3 running up-to-date Windows 10. It has a 54GB hard drive, and for months I have been getting warnings about running out of space. ALL of my personal files are stored cloud-only on One Drive, with other files on an SD card. Under the Storage...
  6. File History states that backup drive is Full

File History states that backup drive is Full: I have been using File History for some time now. It is set to keep files, until space is required. In the past, it has deleted old file versions and backed up the new one. After the latest update to Windows, it now only produces an error that the destination drive is...
  7. Full Windows update history not available.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full Windows update history not available.: Why does my Win 10 update history have only one up? Why doesn't it list all of the updates since the last Win 10 build? ***Title modified from: Update History***...
  8. File History drive full??!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File History drive full??!!: Hello, hope somebody clever can help. I've connected to a 2TB external drive to backup my laptop and I'm getting a message saying that the file history drive is full, but I've used up less than 1TB and the initial backup hasn't finished. What can I do? Thanks 40702
  9. Drive full but no files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Drive full but no files: One of my drives is filling up but there are no files. I have checked Show Hidden, run WinDirStat. Any thoughts/ ideas. [img] 90692
  10. Full Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Full Drive: Hi there, I recently tried installing a program on my Pavilion dv7 (Windows 10 Home 64bit), and during the beginning of the installation I got the error "You do not have enough free space to install this program. Please free some space and try again." The drive I normally...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what to do when western digital mybook backup drive runs out of space with windows 10