Windows 10: Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error

Discus and support Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 users might encounter the error message Your files, apps and settings […] This article Your files, apps and settings can’t be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Nov 23, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error

WinClub, Nov 23, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps

Wolfgang, you need at least two steps (Vista & Seven) between XP and 10, the Eight can be bypassed:
    • XP can only be in-place upgraded to Vista, not Seven or later
    • Vista can be in-place upgraded to Seven but not Eight or later
    • Seven can be in-place upgraded to 10
    • Ergo: XP to Vista is a must, as well as Vista to Seven but then you can bypass the Eight and jump to 10

4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error - Similar Threads - files apps settings

2. Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?: After i upgrade to windows 11 will i keep my apps, files and programs or will i need to have a backup plan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-files-kept-with-upgrade-to-windows-11/86595678-3d28-410d-8cc1-03c3f193e9af
  3. Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept: I have an error when update from 20H2 to 21H1, I tried to do all solution but don't help. Please fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-error-your-files-apps-and/fe50dcba-14a2-4aa3-9a34-377afc658ef8
  4. Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept

Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept: I have an error when update from 20H2 to 21H1, I tried to do all solution but don't help. Please fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-error-your-files-apps-and/fe50dcba-14a2-4aa3-9a34-377afc658ef8
  5. Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're...

Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're...: I have been attempting to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Unfortunately, when it comes time to "Choose what to keep", the choice to keep my Apps, Settings, and Files is grayed out, and not selectable. The explanation as to why I can't select that option is at...
  6. Windows 10 In Place Upgrade Error

Windows 10 In Place Upgrade Error: Hi! I'm trying to do an In-Place Upgrade to my Windows 10, but there is an error that doesn't let me run the tool. Here is a screenshot: [ATTACH] How can I solve this?...
  7. "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...

"Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...: I have downloaded Windows 1909 a bunch of times before and never got this message till now. Is there a way to fix this? Currently trying to do a refresh/install of Windows 1909 to my laptop which currently is running Windows Insider 2004, but it's only giving me the option to...
  8. "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...: I have downloaded Windows 1909 a bunch of times before and never got this message till now. Is there a way to fix this? Currently trying to do a refresh/install of Windows 1909 to my laptop which currently is running Windows Insider 2004, but it's only giving me the option to...
  9. Error: This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10 while doing in-place upgrade

Error: This PC can’t be upgraded to Windows 10 while doing in-place upgrade: Hello All, Im in the process of updating our win 7 machines to Win 10 using the media creation tool. For the most part im being successful. However, every now and then Im getting an error saying "This PC cant be upgraded to Windows 10". [ATTACH] Now I've had this on a...
  10. Your files, settings, apps can't be kept problem...

Your files, settings, apps can't be kept problem...: I downloaded an ISO for Windows 10 Creator Updates, however when I opened it first time, it didn't give me the first option "Keep my files and programs..." but instead only the last two options although I don't want to clean install, I want to upgrade without losing my files,...