Windows 10: Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash)

Discus and support Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Interesting article from HTG on how some newer SSD drives may not be suitable for use as a boot drive. QLC (Quad Layer Cache) seems to be the culprit.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by f14tomcat, Jul 22, 2019.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash)

Interesting article from HTG on how some newer SSD drives may not be suitable for use as a boot drive. QLC (Quad Layer Cache) seems to be the culprit. Manufacturers are cramming more space into the same number of cells at the expense of reliability.

Source: Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash)

:)

f14tomcat, Jul 22, 2019

2. Marvell's Ready to launch QLC Controller Delivers 670K IOPS

QLC is the next big step in flash memory, with another bump in density increases and, crucially for consumers, revised, lower pricing for flash-based products that employ the new technology. We've already had a sneak peek at what QLC-based products can deliver - Intel's leaked SSD 660P employs QLC memory and is expected to deliver 1,800 MB/s in sequential read and up to 1,200 MB/s in sequential write speeds with 150,000 IOPS. Expect base drive capacities to increase - QLC being higher density would mean fewer NAND chips, but manufacturers want to keep the added performance of chip parallelism.

However, flash needs controllers to deliver its true potential, and Marvell has one up its sleeve. The new controller will eventually replace the NVMe 1.1 Eldora (88SS1093) used in some popular SSDs that are already shipping, such as Plextor's M9Pe, and the folks at Tom's hardware took a peek at it - running the current TLC memory, that is. The controller delivered over 670,000 IOPS and 3,500 MB/s in the demo, though there's no information on the density of the drive. But for those performance levels, it must've had a good amount of silicon. While not representative of final QLC memory performance of the controller, it's good to know that at least this part of the ecosystem is good to go. Now if only QLC was quick and hot off the presses, we could see a $100 512 GB SSD.

Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash) IdAZ1dsqozbc3q3P_thm.jpg

Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash) yOzYf2BqUSAa9Eb6_thm.jpg

Raevenlord, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Combining Intel Optane and Intel QLC 3D NAND technologies

Source: Intel Poised to Shape the Future of Memory and Storage with Optane + QLC | Intel Newsroom

Brink, Jul 22, 2019
  4. xkm1948 Win User

Micron To Release QLC NAND-Based Drives in 2018 to the Server Environment

QLC. So most hard drives would be able to outlast these flimsy QLC SSD then.

xkm1948, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Your Next SSD Might Be Slower (Thanks to QLC Flash) - Similar Threads - Next SSD Might

2. Fix your drivers thanks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix your drivers thanks: Realtek completely failing randomly. No sound in speakers or headphones, driver is up to date, troubleshoot, yes wow, all useless. Trillion dollar company, super competent you'd think they could get a single thing right. NOPE Haha, Caching! $u$...
  3. Fix your drivers thanks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix your drivers thanks: Realtek completely failing randomly. No sound in speakers or headphones, driver is up to date, troubleshoot, yes wow, all useless. Trillion dollar company, super competent you'd think they could get a single thing right. NOPE Haha, Caching! $u$...
  4. Fix your drivers thanks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Boot slower overtime on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot slower overtime on SSD: Hi! I need some help on this because I can't really figure out what's going on. A few months ago my 7200 RPM HDD died on me, so I took that as an opportunity and switched to SSD. It's a Kingston A400 with 240 GB capacity. At first the boot time was pretty quick, around 10 -...
  6. Your Version of Flash Player might be outdated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Your Version of Flash Player might be outdated: Why am I getting the pop up, "Your Version of Flash Player might be outdated.... When I get it the address bar has info that its' from a site called 'unifiedinstaller.com . Please help me stop it and if it's connected to something that can be uninstalled on my system. I'm...
  7. PC sales might grow next year, thanks to Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    PC sales might grow next year, thanks to Windows 10: The 2-in-1 devices powered by Windows 10 remain the key players in the PC market. These devices can function as laptops and even tablets are a growing segment of the PC market and are expected to help the market next year as well. In the latest report, Canalys has revealed...
  8. Thanks for reserving your free upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Thanks for reserving your free upgrade: Hello, I have a problem in that I have reserved my free windows 10 upgrade, BUT for some reason which I certainly don't I am unable to upgrade, it keeps say that we're validating windows 10 for your pc, we recommend that you update after you get your notification, well I...
  9. Your next operating system: Your datacenter

in Windows 10 News
    Your next operating system: Your datacenter: It's time to start thinking about a new operating system layer: your entire datacenter, from networking to compute to storage, it's all one big computer now. With a new Windows release now just around the corner, we're all thinking about desktop and mobile operating...
  10. Your next laptop might have a touch-sensitive spacebar

in Windows 10 News
    Your next laptop might have a touch-sensitive spacebar: The spacebar might be the most used button on your keyboard, but that doesn't mean that it can't do even more. At least, that's what Synaptics thinks. The company — best known for its laptop trackpads — wants to make your spacebar touch sensitive. That means that you may...