Windows 10: YouTube now defaults to HTML5 video

Discus and support YouTube now defaults to HTML5 video in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Four years ago, we wrote about YouTube’s early support for the HTML5 <video> tag and how it performed compared to Flash. At the time, there were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

YouTube now defaults to HTML5 video

Source: YouTube Engineering and Developers Blog: YouTube now defaults to HTML5 <video>

Brink, Jan 27, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Good news...Flash is just too buggy.

:)

BunnyJ, Jan 27, 2015
  3. Will Windows Phone 7 play You tube and flash videos?

WP7 internet explorer has full HTML5 support, and youtube runs on HTML5 so there is no problem to play youtube videos in browser. what i assume is that later in future HTML5 videos will be standard for web videos, more over adobe has stopped working on
    FlashPlayer anymore, and there will be no more flash payer/plugin will be shipped to devices,

TauqeerKhan, Jan 27, 2015
  4. YouTube now defaults to HTML5 video

embedded video on windows phone 8.1 nokia

It's just weird sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. I posted that video from YouTube. Aren't they using html5 now?

Shawn Michalski, Jan 27, 2015
  5. About freaking time *Tongue
    Without flash installed or simply disabled F5 would often need to be used *Wink

ThrashZone, Jan 27, 2015
  6. rvbfan Win User
    About time. More sites need to follow. Flashes time is pretty much done.

rvbfan, Jan 27, 2015
  7. Lucky there are still ways to go around it. I use an extensions for youtube, which forces flash, since HTML5 is too heavy and lags too much Some people even run out of memory when playing 1hour+ long videos.

TairikuOkami, Jan 27, 2015
  8. groze Win User

Here is the fix if html5 doesn't work when using youtube. I don't know if it will work for unsupported browsers but you can give it a try. There should be an option to request html5 player.

YouTube

groze, Jan 28, 2015
  9. VBS
    VBs Win User
    Still use flash as HTML5 has way too many problems.. people can preach how unsecure flash is but there is still no worthy replacement at least for YouTube. I haven't tried HTML5 player recently because I use workaround to force flash, but is monitor still going to sleep when longer video is playing (I keep my pc always on so I set up my monitor to turn of after ~20min of inactivity) because HTML5 player somehow doesn't report activity as for example flash does.
    HTML5 videos had many quality problems with more system load.
    Has all these above problems been resolved?

Edit:
    Just tested monitor still goes to sleep while playing YouTube video in HTML5 but its ok in Flash.

10. groze Win User
    Vbs
    You need increase you monitor sleep time in power management, me I choose 5 hours because I use the computer a lot. On the same page I linked to in my previous post, you can also turn off html5 in youtube for now.

groze, Jan 28, 2015
  11. VBS
    VBs Win User
    5 hours is way to long. for example I use pc in evening and then go to sleep that means monitor will be on almost all night. Its really annoying especially if pc is in same room. I have to move mouse or press something from time to time when watching YouTube, this is crazy I want to keep flash player.

12. swarfega Win User
    I have not had a reason to install flash yet on Windows 10 and hopefully it will stay that way.

And yes 5 hours for monitor to turn off is rather pointless. It should be around 15 minutes. That length of time should mean its not too bothersome.

swarfega, Jan 29, 2015
  13. groze Win User

I turn off my plug-in strip at night, which turns off the computer & router totally. It has saved me $10.00 on my electric bill. If I download at night, I do change the monitor to turn off after 15 minutes.

groze, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. YouTube now defaults to HTML5 video - Similar Threads - YouTube defaults HTML5

2. YouTube Video for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    YouTube Video for...: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8qkktSZ8gOQ&pp=ygUfQmFkZXJiYXRhcmZpNTU1NSBhbCBvdGhhaW0gbWFsbA%3D%3D https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLpsEQ14hQ&pp=ygUeQmFkZXJiYXRhcmZpNTU1NSA4NDQ1IGFsIHJhYmF0...
  3. YouTube Video for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    YouTube Video for...: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8qkktSZ8gOQ&pp=ygUfQmFkZXJiYXRhcmZpNTU1NSBhbCBvdGhhaW0gbWFsbA%3D%3D https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLpsEQ14hQ&pp=ygUeQmFkZXJiYXRhcmZpNTU1NSA4NDQ1IGFsIHJhYmF0...
  4. Help with youtube now playing videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with youtube now playing videos: So I cannot watch youtube on my PC running windows 10. When i open youtube any video that i try to watch just keeps buffering and doesnt want to play when it worked about 1 hour ago. I will try to update windows and update if that works. Youtube works fine on my macbook...
  5. HTML5 Videos won't play

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HTML5 Videos won't play: All HTML video won't play. They buffer and I can skip to different frames but never will it play. Youtube/Reddit/Facebook. Chrome & Firefox. Restarted router, latest Windows updates, updated graphics driver, restarted PC several times, CCleaned PC Windows Build 1909 Thanks...
  6. youtube videos

in Windows 10 Customization
    youtube videos: For some reason when I click on to watch a youtube video it gives me this message. The address wasn’t understood Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (rtsp) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context....
  7. HTML5

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HTML5: I play a Facebook game that requires HTML5. I would like to know how to install it if it's not too much trouble https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/html5/e5c3b655-a453-47ca-af44-0daf380662b8
  8. YouTube Videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    YouTube Videos: I have a new PC with fully updated software. All websites work great, EXCEPT YouTube. I cannot play YouTube Videos. Do I have to switch to Chrome to use YouTube? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/youtube-videos/e6c7bff6-7334-4230-855a-e3aee895b0ba
  9. HTML5 Video and Audio Options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HTML5 Video and Audio Options: Hi, I am pretty knowledgable when it comes to web design. I am actually trying to create an HTML5 video and audio player that does not need me to specify the source, rather it can read from a directory and display the contents of the directory based upon embedded metadata....
  10. edge wont load youtube videos in html5 player wtf?

in Browsers and Email
    edge wont load youtube videos in html5 player wtf?: edge nor ie dont want to load youtube videos in html5 if u disable flash in settings videos dont work what bullshit is that and flash stuttering like crazy .. chrome works fine..i really wanted to go on edge but just flash player is no go for me sorry and it stutters like a...