Windows 10: Youtube VP9 and FIrefox

Discus and support Youtube VP9 and FIrefox in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A new issue that I did not have before is regarding the vp9 decoder google is using for Youtube. I do not have a new rig but rather an old one. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zongo, Dec 20, 2020.

1. zongo Win User

Youtube VP9 and FIrefox

A new issue that I did not have before is regarding the vp9 decoder google is using for Youtube.
    I do not have a new rig but rather an old one.
    This decoder is now killing my machine when I watch Youtube video. Heavy use of CPU. I do not have the possibility of hw-accl with the rig I have.
    I have tried to disable vp9 from howtos by setting this to false 'media.wmf.vp9.enabled'. Its a no go.
    Any one has any other alternative ? I like youtube and would like to continue using it. For the moment I am using SMPlayer which is very nice still.

:)

zongo, Dec 20, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Firefox, randomly, does not allow all You Tube resolutions - why?

I believe the problem is that Firefox 50.0 doesn't properly support the newest WebM VP9 Codec that Youtube has started to use for some of its videos.

https://www.youtube.com/html5

If you go to that page, you might get a red exclamation point on the WebM VP9 box with Firefox but they all should be good with Chrome. The problem is that Firefox reporting of VP9 support to websites is buggy right now. Sometimes it tells the websites it can support it, sometimes it does. So if you go to that HTML5 test page, 9 times out of time it will show all is good, but every once in a while it will show a red exclamation point on WebM VP9. So any videos that Youtube has converted to the VP9 format after upload might now work in Firefox randomly. To get around this, Youtube also makes alternative versions available in the VP8 Codec as well as the Flash Player. However, these alternative versions are only available in a limited selection of resolutions, usually up to 360p for VP8 and sometimes 720p for Flash.

You can try downloading the 51.0 beta, they may have fixed the bug in that version, I don't know. Or just wait for the official 51.0 to be released in January and hope they fixed it by then.

Download and test future releases of Firefox for desktop, Android and iOS.

newtekie1, Dec 20, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    WebM, VP9 and Opus Support in Microsoft Edge

Source: WebM, VP9 and Opus Support in Microsoft Edge | Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

Brink, Dec 20, 2020
  4. Youtube VP9 and FIrefox

Youtube locking computer, both in Chrome and FireFox.

That is quite odd, I use Youtube everyday with Firefox 58 and Firefox 59 BETA 3 without any problems.

Josey Wales, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

Youtube VP9 and FIrefox

1. Youtube VP9 and FIrefox - Similar Threads - Youtube VP9 FIrefox

2. VP9 Video Codec

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VP9 Video Codec: Nessus scan has critical hits on the VP9 Video Extension. Need to update file, but systems are on a closed network. How to download file update for offline installation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vp9-video-codec/8792ecb7-4b0c-4a4d-a375-d8366f2fb455
  3. VP9 Video Codec

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VP9 Video Codec: Nessus scan has critical hits on the VP9 Video Extension. Need to update file, but systems are on a closed network. How to download file update for offline installation? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vp9-video-codec/8792ecb7-4b0c-4a4d-a375-d8366f2fb455
  4. Youtube VP9 and FIrefox

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube VP9 and FIrefox: A new issue that I did not have before is regarding the vp9 decoder google is using for Youtube. I do not have a new rig but rather an old one. This decoder is now killing my machine when I watch Youtube video. Heavy use of CPU. I do not have the possibility of hw-accl with...
  5. YouTube video preview in Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    YouTube video preview in Firefox: Hi, is there a Firefox plugin, or a configuration change, to preview YouTube videos while using Bing Search Engine (and hopefully Google Search Engine as well) just like in Internet Explorer? [img] 105287
  6. Youtube not working correctly using Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube not working correctly using Firefox: Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 300 Windows 10. Youtube works perfectly using Internet Explorer. But using Firefox youtube will not play unless I hit pause and then play. It's weird but I don't think it's on my end. I started with the basics in disabling all FF addons to no avail....
  7. 'return' in YouTube on some videos and in Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    'return' in YouTube on some videos and in Firefox: Discovered something weird and also ONLY in Firefox on YouTube, a small sentence 'return' pops up for one second and then it disappears. All my uploaded videos have this awkward problem. But not in Opera or Chrome. Only in Firefox and Edge this small thingy pops up. Not...
  8. Youtube locking computer, both in Chrome and FireFox.

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube locking computer, both in Chrome and FireFox.: This is a minor annoyance as I don't often play YouTube on my PC, I use my Apple TV. I would like to understand what is happening. This happens in both Chrome and Firefox, both have the latest updates. After a time the computer will just freeze no BSOD it just locks and I...
  9. Youtube pixelated in chrome, not firefox

in Browsers and Email
    Youtube pixelated in chrome, not firefox: Please see these printscreens of the same youtube vid, both on same quality, one on chrome one on firefox. Pixelation is clearly visible in the chrome pic on at the top. In particular look at the neckline of the guy second from the right. What's going on? Thanks guys!...
  10. Firefox: Inconsistent Volume Levels On Youtube

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox: Inconsistent Volume Levels On Youtube: Hello I've had a problem with Youtube volume levels in Firefox, for many versions, now. I have just updated to 57.0.3 (64 bit). The sound level on Youtube videos is lower than with other browsers ( Chrome. for example). I've gone in to the volume mixer and raised the...