Windows 10: You've been logged in as a temporary user

Discus and support You've been logged in as a temporary user in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have looked for a post on this but can't find one with an answer, so apologies for the multi-post! i've done an upgrade install of win10 from 8.1,... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by AgentD, Aug 22, 2015.

1. AgentD Win User

You've been logged in as a temporary user

I have looked for a post on this but can't find one with an answer, so apologies for the multi-post!

i've done an upgrade install of win10 from 8.1, and from a hardware PoV all is running smoothly. The only issue is I can't access any of my old user files or settings. Whenever I fire up the machine and try to log in (linked Microsoft account), it comes up with a message saying "You've been logged in as a temporary user" and won't give me access to any of my old files or settings. Plus, as it's a temp account, I cannot save any changes I make to the system, as it creates a new temp profile with every single login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

AgentD, Aug 22, 2015
  2. DanDirr Win User

Logged in as a temporary user

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 yesterday. Everything seemed ok until today after a restart. Windows will not load my user profile, and will only sign me in as a temporary user. I have signed out and back in, tried signing in as a local user (previous
    windows 7 user profile), restarted, turned off and back on. Account settings and sign in options look to be ok. How do I get my user profile back?

DanDirr, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Logged in as a temporary user

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and we will assist you to resolve this issue.

Try to login to Safe mode? And check are you able to login.

You may follow the steps provided below.

To enter Safe Mode in Windows 10:

• Press Windows + L to lock the screen.
    • Press and Hold Shift key and click on power button
    • Select restart while holding the shift key.
    • The computer restarts to a Windows recovery mode.
    • Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen.
    • Click on Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced Options.
    • Click Windows Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.

You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode .try and check if it helps.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, Aug 22, 2015
  4. AgentD Win User

Unbelievably, just after writing this, I've found a fix!! Running windows update seemed to 'reset' the process and I got the proper account migration window up after a reboot. Literally the sixth reboot in a row but it triggered something. Hope this helps someone else!

AgentD, Aug 22, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    I had this issue as well. I think I may have looked unbilieving when I saw the empty desktop...

In my case, I fixed it by changing a registry key as described here:
    How to Fix Temporary Profile in Windows 7

If the account is accessible again afterwards, the key with "_new" at the end can be deleted from the registry (I in fact removed t right away).

Joergi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. You've been logged in as a temporary user - Similar Threads - You've been logged

2. Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile': Most folders and files under c:\users\xxxxx\ is either empty or completely missing. No trace anywhere! This issue is haunting lot of our users. The old fix of restoring through regedit winnt\profilelist doesn't help. I would like to know the root cause of this issue as we...
  3. Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile': Most folders and files under c:\users\xxxxx\ is either empty or completely missing. No trace anywhere! This issue is haunting lot of our users. The old fix of restoring through regedit winnt\profilelist doesn't help. I would like to know the root cause of this issue as we...
  4. Temp profile - files and folders lost 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. You've been signed in with a temporary profile

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You've been signed in with a temporary profile: When ever I sign in with my account I get a weird text saying PREPARING WINDOWS and then when I open it I see that all my data is gone, my folders are empty, my desktop is empty, I tried the registry editor trick, I tried the cmd trick but none of it is working, when I did...
  6. You've been log in on a temp account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    You've been log in on a temp account: I turn my laptop on sleep for about 30mins... then turn it backed on... then after inputing my password on my user account it freezes or takes a while on loging in.. so i decided to hard reset ( hold power button for 10 secs)... then after rebooting im always loged in for a...
  7. Windows 10: You've been signed in with a temporary profile

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10: You've been signed in with a temporary profile: When I reset my computer for my friend to use it everything when to crap. I updated it and it has windows 10 now. But every time I try to restart it, it is unable to sign in and says you are logged onto a temporary account. I can't use any apps and the computer barely...
  8. You've been signed in with temporary profile error

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    You've been signed in with temporary profile error: I upgraded to windows 10 about a month ago, from windows 7 home edition (64 bit). I didn't have problems for a few weeks, everything worked correctly. I connected my user with my MS account and that worked as well. The problem started, when about 4 days ago i turned on...
  9. Logging back in as temporary user

in Windows 10 Support
    Logging back in as temporary user: I understand others have had problems logging in as a temporary user when updating to windows 10 and a reboot or update sorts this out. But does anyone know how I can log back in as that temporary user again?? I moved some documents and pictures (in the folder...
  10. Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10: How to: Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10 How to Fix 'You've been signed in with a temporary profile' Error in Windows 10 A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you want it to for a user...