Windows 10: ZeroCore not working (GPU not turning off when idle) on Windows 10

Discus and support ZeroCore not working (GPU not turning off when idle) on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Basic info: OS: Windows 10 Pro (x64) GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X TOXIC (Factory OC) Drivers: 15.10 Beta (Latest) I have Sapphire Radeon R9... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Snaiper, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Snaiper Win User

ZeroCore not working (GPU not turning off when idle) on Windows 10

Basic info:

• GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X TOXIC (Factory OC)
    • Drivers: 15.10 Beta (Latest)

I have Sapphire Radeon R9 270X TOXIC graphics card in my system and everything has been running fine since I first put it in and installed Windows 8.1 onto my system (mind a few driver crashes that were resolved by mere reinstallation of drivers). Then I upgraded to Windows 10 very successfully (after two weeks of Windows 10 update not working properly, which was resolved right on this very forum - THANK YOU!!)

Everything seems to work well on Windows 10, except for the fact that AMD's ZeroCore technology which my GPU has is just not working. When my PC is idle and/or when my screen is off my GPU should turn off, and that was so on Windows 8.1, but that does not happen in Windows 10 - my GPU stays constantly on. And to me it is just not know why that is.

TOXIC version of the 270X has LED-lit text on it saying "Sapphire" which turns on and off alongside the GPU. Now, whenever it turns on or off a "bzing" sound can be heard, which I suppose is normal, and when turning on the PC from cold state of off, it can turn on and off twice in 2 seconds; but that's normal and has been like so ever since I bought the card. That's just the LED text, fans don't turn on and off like that. Now, the reason I'm saying that is because when my screen is off and PC is inactive, when ZeroCore is supposed to kick in, I can hear that "bzing" sound happen, yet nothing turning on or off. As if the GPU wants to turn itself off, yet something, such as Windows system, is not letting it happen. Whilst my PC is inactive, I hear that sound every 5-10 minutes (didn't measure quite right, but that is about the period I feel it happens in, and that is also the time when ZeroCore is supposed to kick in) - as if the GPU is going to sleep "Heya, good night" and Windows 10 is just like "Nope, you ain't!"

Now, I assure you that my GPU works fine and there aren't any hardware damages. So, I suppose we should focus on the software side of things.

TL;DR:

Ever since the upgrade to Windows 10, ZeroCore is not working; my GPU is not turning off when the screen is off. It used to work fine on Windows 8.1.

Issue reported on AMD Forums

:)

Snaiper, Oct 14, 2015
  2. gdejong Win User

Windows 10 using GPU constantly when idling

Yesterday I upgraded from Windows 8.1. Since then I see in HwiNFO that when Windows is idling the "GPU Memory Controller Load" is always going to a steady 4%. I discovered this when I saw that the average
    temperature of the GPU VRM was 10C higher than the idle temperature under Windows 8.1.

In Process Explorer there are three processes that use GPU memory when Windows is idle: ShellExperienceHost.exe SearchUI.exe and explorer.exe.

Has anyone seen this behaviour also?

gdejong, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Bluetooth still on while idle

Hi!

I want Bluetooth on my Windows 10 laptop to turn off when the laptop is in idle mode. How do I achieve this? And yes, this is actually a desired feature is seems in Windows!

Background: I have Windows 10 laptop that I bring everywhere. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I use with the PC while I’m at work. And when I go home. When it’s time to go home I close the lid on the laptop and go I’m off. But the headphones
    are still connected to the laptop since the laptop is in Idle mode. Hence I need to completely turn of the laptop before the headphones can connect to my phone. Or I need to manually turn off Bluetooth in the Windows Setting, and then manually turn Bluetooth
    on again when I start working. That is just so annoying! I’m so surprised that there isn’t a feature in the Device Manager or the Windows Settings menu to deactivate Bluetooth when the laptop is in idle mode!

Best regards,

Lars

Reference:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/bluetooth-power-management-for-modern-standby-platforms

DrEdvardsen, Oct 14, 2015
  4. Snaiper Win User

Update:
    • I've provided further links to other websites I've put questions about this issue on.
    • I speculate the issue has to do with AMD's Catalyst drivers that came out for and alongside Windows 10.
    • I've found that I am, after all, not the only one reporting this issue.
    • And there's still no solution in sight.

Snaiper, Oct 17, 2015
  5. Have you tried hibernate rather than sleep mode? Sleep mode has issues (at least for me), although I'm on a Nvidia card.

Edited: Also does your PSU support c6/c7 states (only the newer PSUs do)? If not you may need to disable them in your bios.

fracking4oil, Oct 17, 2015
  6. Snaiper Win User
    ZeroCore kicks in whenever the screen is off, at least that's how it worked and is supposed to work.
    I also use hybrid sleep, which has nothing to do with ZeroCore really.
    It used to work fine on Windows 8.1 and therefore there shouldn't be any issues now.

I am not sure if it supports it or not, but no changes have been made in BIOS since the upgrade. I'll have to check on that.

Snaiper, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. ZeroCore not working (GPU not turning off when idle) on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - ZeroCore working GPU

2. Screen never turns off when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen never turns off when idle: Hello,I have a problem where my desktop computer's screens will not turn off after idling for the configured amount of minutes. I've checked to see if there was any application at all preventing the screens from turning off, but it doesn't seem like there is ever anything.PS...
  3. Screen never turns off when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen never turns off when idle: Hello,I have a problem where my desktop computer's screens will not turn off after idling for the configured amount of minutes. I've checked to see if there was any application at all preventing the screens from turning off, but it doesn't seem like there is ever anything.PS...
  4. Computer will not suspend or turn off Monitor when Idle

Computer will not suspend or turn off Monitor when Idle: Hi allI have a surface laptop studio and for reasons that I will not bore you with, I just had to re-install the entire machine. The reinstall is complete but the one thing that I have noticed is that despite me setting the power settings the way I like it,, the system will...
  5. GPU turning off when rendering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU turning off when rendering: Recently I have not been able to render videos from After Effects as after around a minute, my GPU fans would stop spinning and the display would go black signalling that it's off as well as this, audio cuts out completely and any USB devices plugged into the motherboard ie...
  6. GPU turning off when rendering

GPU turning off when rendering: Recently I have not been able to render videos from After Effects as after around a minute, my GPU fans would stop spinning and the display would go black signalling that it's off as well as this, audio cuts out completely and any USB devices plugged into the motherboard ie...
  7. Windows 10 turns itself off when idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 turns itself off when idle: I have set every possible visible and invisible setting to NOT shut down when idle and yet Windows 10 is shutting down when idle after a few minutes. This is wasting a lot of time besides being a total nuisance.I have already looked up the thread where the same question has...
  8. Display does not turn off when pc is idle

Display does not turn off when pc is idle: Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I have try just about everything but I am still having the same issue as before. Microsoft does not help solve it....
  9. Display does not turn off when pc is idle

Display does not turn off when pc is idle: Dear Microsoft support center, Since the computer downloaded one of your updates, I have been having issues with my laptop computer. The screen saver mode doesn’t work, and the screen remains on when it is on idle windows 10. I have tried step by step what Microsoft...
  10. Screen never turns off when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen never turns off when idle: I've just upgraded my win 7 installation to win 10. The power and sleep setting was carried over, turn off screen after 5 minutes, but the monitors stay on forever. I checked the network adapters in the device manager (BT personal area network, BT RFCOMM, Realtek PCIe GBE...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. amd zerocore power not updating window

2. windows 10 zerocore amd