Windows 10: Zip File Encryption Troubles

Discus and support Zip File Encryption Troubles in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've gotten myself in a bit of trouble. I stored 20GB of pictures in a zip file on my Windows 10 professional computer. I used the system compression... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TechnicalQuestions, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Zip File Encryption Troubles

I've gotten myself in a bit of trouble.

I stored 20GB of pictures in a zip file on my Windows 10 professional computer. I used the system compression tool send to zip file.

I encrypted it using the system encryption tool checking Encryption under properties. I have the certificate safely backed up.

I moved the file to a VeraCrypt container on a USB stick formatted with exFAT.

The zip file can no longer be opened. Tools such as 7zip and winrar don't recognize it as an archive.

My one hint is that Windows no longer recognizes the file as encrypted. I'm wondering if, somehow, the encryption flag was unset moving to the USB stick. I understand Windows might decrypt the file in the process of moving it, but something is obviously wrong.

I replicated the problem three times with different USB sticks.

Is there a manual way to decrypt files Windows no longer thinks encrypted? To set the flag again? Something else I can do?

In the future I won't use Windows encryption—VeraCrypt is obviously adequate.

Appreciate your help!

:)

TechnicalQuestions, Mar 11, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Encrypted Zip Files

Hi davencrabtree,

Do you have the password for the zip file, or are you trying to crack the password?

If you do not have the password, it can take a huge time to crack the password from an encrypted zip file

May I ask is this zip file downloaded form the net and if so, did the website not provide the password for that zip file beside the download link - they usually do!

DaveM121, Mar 11, 2021
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Encrypted Zip Files

Then i am sorry to say you will not be able to open that encrypted zip file.

You need a key in order to open it.

SarahKong, Mar 11, 2021
  4. Zip File Encryption Troubles

Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

Zip File Encryption Troubles

1. Zip File Encryption Troubles - Similar Threads - Zip File Encryption

2. Windows 10 default Zip encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 default Zip encryption: I would like to know what encryption method does windows 10 uses while encrypting any folder?If I zip any folder: is it only zipped or encrypted as well? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-default-zip-encryption/a5ca4745-bf9e-4f49-9e77-5c5830c51ffa
  3. Windows 10 default Zip encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 default Zip encryption: I would like to know what encryption method does windows 10 uses while encrypting any folder?If I zip any folder: is it only zipped or encrypted as well? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-default-zip-encryption/a5ca4745-bf9e-4f49-9e77-5c5830c51ffa
  4. Windows 10 default Zip encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Zip Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Zip Encryption: Is it really true that Windows 10 Home does not allow you to encrypt a Zip file??? Please tell me this isn't true. Any workarounds apart from downloading a 3rd party app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/zip-encryption/62fd79d8-a674-4b37-9e87-28a2904cee4b
  6. Trouble opening .zip documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble opening .zip documents: Hello, I am not very good with computers and need some help. I tried using the tips from Google but it didn't seem to solve them. I am trying to download audiobooks because they help me relax, but I cannot seem to open the zip files recently. I tried several different books...
  7. Windows 10 command line to zip and password encrypt a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 command line to zip and password encrypt a file: Hi does anyone know if it is possible to zip and password encrypt a file or files in Windows 10 via a batch script? I know 7-zip and other tools allow it but I was wondering if Windows 10 provides it. Many Thanks in advance. G...
  8. Can't open encrypted Zip Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open encrypted Zip Files: I get encrypted ZIP files from trusted emails. They download to a Zip Folder, I click on the Folder and it takes me to the File. When I click on the file, to extract it, or use the Extract Icon, I get a error dialogue saying the files can't be created. If I use 7-Zip, I...
  9. Encrypted Zip Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Encrypted Zip Files: How do you view the content of an encrypted zip file? I downloaded 7zip, or I can use the default program. I can also download any other program that may be better....
  10. Having trouble with encrypting files/folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Having trouble with encrypting files/folders: I googled the subject and discovered that it's possible to encrypt individual files and folders with a password. I thought this would be a great idea after almost losing a flash drive recently. Some information would be best not lost to unauthorized people. The...