Windows 10: Zipped folders opening in notepad

Discus and support Zipped folders opening in notepad in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to open one ZIP file in notepad and accidentally set them to always open with notepad. I left clicked and pressed open with then notepad. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bigcuban, Jan 12, 2017.

1. bigcuban Win User

Zipped folders opening in notepad

I tried to open one ZIP file in notepad and accidentally set them to always open with notepad. I left clicked and pressed open with then notepad. I tried to change it back in properties but I can't figure it out. Unfortunately I had never done a zipped file before so I didn't know about winrar or zip 7 yet so at first I actually made it open with internet explorer and then made it open with notepad and now it won't let me do it with anything else

:)

bigcuban, Jan 12, 2017

2. zip file

Zip files shouldn't be opened with Notepad

You can install WINRAR applicatiton and try to open that zip file

Patel-Ravi, Jan 12, 2017
  3. 4477---01 Win User
    Zipped files.

JAR and NTH are actually zipped files. Have anyone tryed to open JAR or NTH files with WinRAR OR WinZIP? (Or with notepad? evry zipped files opend with notepad starts with PK ).

4477---01, Jan 12, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

If Windows 10 is similar to Windows 7, there should be a Control Panel's Default Programs, and somewhere you can scroll down to ZIP and re-associate ZIP with your favorite zip program; and such will disengage notepad from ZIP.

RolandJS, Jan 12, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello bigcuban, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you could download and merge the .reg file for the listed zip item in the table of the tutorial below to fix this. It will restore the default association for ZIP files.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option2

Brink, Jan 12, 2017
  6. bigcuban Win User
    I'm very computer illiterate this file is a tar.gz I believe it's called do I still do what you told me I just want to make sure since you said .reg file

bigcuban, Jan 12, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    A tar.gz file is most often used in Linux. Windows doesn't have built-in support for opening them, it only knows how to handle .zip files. You need to install a 3rd-party app to open it, for example 7-Zip.
    Latest 7-Zip Update

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

In that case, what I posted will not work for this since it's not for an actual ".zip" file. You'll need to do what Bree posted instead.

Brink, Jan 12, 2017
  9. RolandJS Win User
    If I remember correctly, you use 7zip to extract the TAR out of the Gz; then extract the ZIP or the EXE out of the TAR. Sometimes you have to extract the EXE out of the ZIP. Quite often, you will be extracting out of a ZIP a directory containing a set of files, such can be copied to wherever within the OS partition, a shortcut can be made from the EXE within said directory -- that shortcut will call up the program.

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Zipped folders opening in notepad - Similar Threads - Zipped folders opening

2. Zipped Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Zipped Folders: 1. I get this message after I tried to cut and paste 2,000+ images from a zipped folder to a new folder. I tried following both methods from this thread:...
  3. Zipped Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Zipped Folders: 1. I get this message after I tried to cut and paste 2,000+ images from a zipped folder to a new folder. I tried following both methods from this thread:...
  4. Zip folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Zip folders: I'm having some problems with my zip folders on my USB Drive E:. When I try downloading the zip folders from my class's website, I get multiple error messages.When I try opening them up from the zip folder, I get these error messages:When I try to extract the files from the...
  5. Excel to open zip or notepad file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Excel to open zip or notepad file: I am trying to open a zip text file into excel. It open i nto notepad. Excel is not listed as an option. How can I make it so? Windows 10 user https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-to-open-zip-or-notepad-file/38ea81a3-12be-449e-bd45-86086997ca8a
  6. opening up a zip file-folder

opening up a zip file-folder: i followed the zip instructions by Microsoft web page, and i still get the "buy now' from win-zip. on my file folder. what did i do wrong? how do I open up a zipped file-folder?? Manuel...
  7. Zip a folder

Zip a folder: I am using windows 10. I need to zip a folder. I made right click on it and select send to compressed zip folder.I received an error message which says "unable to complete the operation. The access is denied". Please how can solve this issue?...
  8. Zipped folders

Zipped folders: hi, i am trying to figure out how to unzip folders on my computer. I need to do it to add music i made onto itunes... can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/zipped-folders/69b94fea-1059-4083-b840-0791ddb6f0a1"
  9. zip to folder

in Windows 10 Support
    zip to folder: How do you change compressed (zip) folders into regular folders with out loosing anything? I downloaded a bunch of stuff and it is all in zip folders. Is there a reason I should keep them zipped, I have plenty of space. 43464
  10. zip folder

in Windows 10 Support
    zip folder: Does Ten create zip folder automatically depend on size of files? Ten made zip folder when I made new folder and saved three pictures. 82121

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open a zipped file in notepad

2. What is notepad opening my zip folders

3. how to open zip file on notepad

4. how do i install drivers from a zip file that only opens onto notepad?,
  5. zip files open in notepad,
  6. i accidentally set zip files to open with notepad windows 10,
  7. .zip files opening in notepad,
  8. zip folders opening up in notepad,
  9. zip files opening in notepad windows 10