Windows 10: 1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots

Discus and support 1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo T60 running Win10 1803 and am trying to update to 1809. The T60 runs W10 x86 (32bit) 1803 at 2Ghz with 3G of memory on a Intel 256 Gb... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by J_Snyder, Dec 6, 2018.

1. J_Snyder Win User

1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots

I have a Lenovo T60 running Win10 1803 and am trying to update to 1809.
    The T60 runs W10 x86 (32bit) 1803 at 2Ghz with 3G of memory on a Intel 256 Gb SSD (OVER A 100gB fREE).

I have tried mounting the 1809 update on a USB and the SSD. They Fail with 0xC1900101 0x20017 with the blue logo and not dots showing. Tried 3 different programs to create Thumb drives and DVDs, running setup from the drive fail as described with 0xC1900101 0x20017. "Booting from the Usb drive and DVD failed with blue flag logo and no dots showing".
    The 1809 DVD and the USB booted and ran up to the point I could cancel update on a different Laptop.
    The 1803 USB drive booted on the T60 machine that failed the 1809 boot and run repair ON the T60.
    SFC /Scannow Ran to completion without finding any problem.
    DISM.exe runs without reporting a problem.
    Did a Repair on W10 1803 no problem.
    Windows Update Troubleshooting reports "Did you know there pending updates for this machine?" Choose "Apply this Fix" to start the update process. And I have done that many times and the troubleshooter repotrs it fixes the problems, every time you run the troubleshooter. It never fixes the problem, I have reran it many times and it reports the same problem. I have did the renaming of "software distribution" and "catroots2" directories many times.
    Ran SetupDiag and took care of any problem it reported.
    Ran Properties Disk Cleanup and tried again. Then tried all the ways to update again.
    Did a check the drive for file system errors.
    What I don't know is what changed between 1803 and 1809 that causes one USB to boot on this machine and the other to hang on this machine with the blue logo flag showing and go no futher. Or what to check to find what the problem is.
    Can you help?

Updates do download and install on the failing T60.

Windows Update Troubleshooter output.

Issues found
    Potential Windows Update Database error detectedPotential Windows Update Database error detected
    Possible issues may prevent Windows Update from keeping your system up to date. Fixed Fixed
    Repair Windows Update Database Corruption Completed

Windows Update components must be repairedWindows Update components must be repaired
    One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly. Fixed Fixed
    Repair Windows Update components Completed
    Potential issues that were checked
    Default Windows Update data locations have changedDefault Windows Update data locations have changed
    The location where Windows Update stores data has changed and must be repaired. Issue not present
    Some security settings are missing or have been changedSome security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present
    Check for missing or corrupt filesCheck for missing or corrupt files Issue not present
    Service registration is missing or corruptService registration is missing or corrupt Issue not present
    System date and time aren't correctSystem date and time aren't correct Issue not present
    Check for pending updatesCheck for pending updates Issue not present

Issues found Detection details

6 Potential Windows Update Database error detected Fixed Fixed

Possible issues may prevent Windows Update from keeping your system up to date.
    Repair Windows Update Database Corruption Completed

One troubleshooting step to resolve WU issues is to delete and re-download updates to your computer. Would you like to try this step now? Depending on your network configuration, you may incur download costs.
    InformationalDataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip
    6.05MB
    File Name: DataStoreAndWULogFiles.zip

6 Windows Update components must be repaired Fixed Fixed

One or more Windows Update components are configured incorrectly.
    Repair Windows Update components Completed

Repairing Windows Update components frequently resolves common Windows Update errors.

Potential issues that were checked Detection details

Default Windows Update data locations have changed Issue not present

The location where Windows Update stores data has changed and must be repaired.

Some security settings are missing or have been changed Issue not present

Check for missing or corrupt files Issue not present

Service registration is missing or corrupt Issue not present

System date and time aren't correct Issue not present

Check for pending updates Issue not present

Detection details Expand

InformationalIsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
    IsPostback: False

InformationalIsPostback_RC_PendingUpdates
    IsPostback: True

InformationalService Status
    Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

InformationalService Status
    Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.

Collection information
    Computer Name: LAPTOPT60
    Windows Version: 10.0
    Architecture: x86
    Time: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 4:31:45 PM

Publisher details Expand

Background Intelligent Transfer Service
    Find and fix problems that may prevent background downloads from working
    Package Version: 3.5
    Publisher: Microsoft Windows
    Windows Network Diagnostics
    Detects problems with network connectivity.
    Package Version: 4.0
    Windows Update
    Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.
    Package Version: 9.3
    Windows Update
    Resolve problems that prevent you from updating Windows.
    Package Version: 9.2
    Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

:)

J_Snyder, Dec 6, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Dec 6, 2018
  3. guhanath Win User
    Windows 10 installation stuck at blue logo(no spinning dots)

All,

I downloaded windows 10 ISO(I purchased it) file and created bootable DVD and USB using Rufus. I want to install windows 10 in one of the system which had corrupted windows 7 in SSD(No data or nothing is required)

My system config is below
    Intel i5(4th gen)
    Gigabyte H87 D3H(which has UEFI) and flashed to version 9
    Nvidia 9400 GT(driver not updated but the site listing says it is compatible with win 10)
    8GB RAM
    SSD(60 GB, which has corrupted win 7)
    HDD(500 GB)

Believe I have the minimum system requirement to install Windows 10?
    After selecting cd/dvd/usb, windows 10 logo appears(without any spinning dots, just plain logo) and get stuck there. I waited for 1-2 hour but nothing happened. I searched and some of them have suggested to remove components and keep only bare minimum. So I tried removing GFX card and the HDD, and kept only SSD(default changed to IGFX). But even then it doesnt move forward from the windows logo screen.
    Please someone suggest, how to move this installation further? Any debugging options? Anything I am missing here? I purchased it and hence I dont want to waste the money I spent on it.
    I checked in BIOS and I can confirm that Fast boot is disabled or Data Execution Prevention and/or similar options are enabled.
    Note:I havent used media creation tool here

To confim whether my bootable DVD/USB had some errors in initiating setup, I tried running setup.exe within my friends machine(win 7) and it is launching and giving me screens to download updates and/or to enter product key. Images attached which gives indication that setup is launching.
    But when I try to run the setup as bootable DVD/USB I get the blue logo screen and nothing happens.(even no spinning dots below logo and/or errors to share) Refer Image - Win10_Bootable_DVD.jpg

Any help is appreciated to move this forward.

Thanks
    Guhan

guhanath, Dec 6, 2018
  4. 1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots

Windows boot logo,

Hi

Tried with suggested steps but not succeed,

still can see HP boot logo

Please suggest

AmardeepBhingardeve, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots

1. 1809 update fails booted from USB or DVD logo no dots - Similar Threads - 1809 update fails

2. Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI)

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting off USB/DVD fails (UEFI): Hi there you all, My pc fails to boot from a USB and / or DVD. It uses UEFI. I have tried many solutions that include: (1) I have changed the BIOS to either USB HDD or USB CDRom for the different cases. (I have been able to boot from DVD in the past. All I did was try to...
  3. Installation stuck on boot screen with logo and no spinning dots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installation stuck on boot screen with logo and no spinning dots: Hey guys. So, I've finally made the decision to upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 to 10. I know I'm a little bit late. I'm installing Windows 10 through the Media Creation Tool. Everything is fine and dandy until the laptop restarts during the installation process. I'm...
  4. Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot from HD, DVD or USB: I tried to restart my 'backup' PC , after a couple of weeks off , and got a message saying "The PC has run into a problem and we will restart it" It then says Preparing Automatic Repair before setting off into a repeat cycle, i tried to boot from a USB Recovery and a DVD with...
  5. New PC will not boot from USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New PC will not boot from USB or DVD: I am building a new PC and, when I try to boot the machine from either a USB created by the Media Recovery tool, or from the proper Windows 10 DVD that I bought, the machine simply goes to BSOD and gives me error codes, mostly SYSTEM PTE MISUSE or PAGE ERROR FOUND IN...
  6. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  7. Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot set 'boot from USB DVD': I have a new HP X360 14-ba151sa with Insyde BIOS. Yesterday I created a Macrium recovery disk, went into BIOS and moved USB CD/DVD to top of the list, F10 and exit. The system booted from DVD OK. Today, I wanted to boot from the DVD again, but this time the little arrow is...
  8. UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails

UEFI laptop, booting from DVD or USB fails: Hi On this new laptop which appears to have UEFI and Legacy BIOS settings, setting UEFI settings to boot from DVD or USB first in order to run a bootable format disc to preformat before a clean install has thrown an error message that ..."boot from [xx device] failed."...
  9. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  10. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...