Windows 10: 2 recovery partitions

Discus and support 2 recovery partitions in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; after performing an upgrade, I have 2 recovery partitions, the same size, one at the beginning of the disk and the new one at the end of the disk I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by shmu26, Jan 25, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

2 recovery partitions

after performing an upgrade, I have 2 recovery partitions, the same size, one at the beginning of the disk and the new one at the end of the disk
    I only need one, right?
    Two ideas came to mind:
    1 boot into linux, copy the contents of the second partition to the first partition, and then delete the second partition.
    2 use EaseUs partition master to delete the first partition and then move the second partition to its place.

Feedback, please.

:)

shmu26, Jan 25, 2016
  2. Kian_M Win User

2 Recovery Partitions On Windows 10

Thanks for the Quick Reply,

As I said earlier, converting my disk to dynamic will result in an error message and somewhat corruption of my BOOTMGR file, whether inderectly from a prompt or directly from the mmc console.

Kian_M, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    2 Recovery Partitions On Windows 10

Hi Kian,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

You have to right click on the device and select the option convert to dynamic disk
    in disk management and then check if it helps.

A recovery partition is a separate partition on a computer hard drive that contains all the system files, drivers, applications, and default settings that a computer shipped with from the factory. It can sometimes be hidden from view, only revealing itself
    to very low-level processes, such as disk formatting utilities, operating system installations, DOS, and boot processes. They are designed to be write-protected, ensuring that the data on it remains in pristine condition and no tampering from outside sources
    can occur. Upon activation, they boot into a separate, bare-bones operating system designed specifically for operating system repair or recovery and sometimes data backup.

System partition and boot partition are computing terms for disk partitions of a hard disk drive that must exist and be properly configured for a system to operate correctly. There are two
    different definitions for these terms: One that developed from the simple firmware on PC's allowing Operating Systems to manage their own Boot Loader's location and one, common in servers, for Firmware that manages the location and selection of Boot Loader.
    The difference comes from the differing view that the partition is intended to hold a single Operating Systems "boot" code and that the "system" firmware controls the partition with the boot code.

No, I would recommend you to not remove either of the partitions as it may result in computer malfunction.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Jan 25, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

2 recovery partitions

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2016
  5. shmu26 Win User
    2 recovery partitions [​IMG]

shmu26, Jan 25, 2016
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Yes, you can do this. However, the Recovery environment will be broken. So after copy the last partition to the first position, you'd need to assign a letter R to it then run from Admin command:
    reagentc /setreimage /path R:\Recovery\WindowsRE

Once done, remove the letter R
    Re-run: reagentc /info to confirm that the Recovery environment is working
    NOTE: If the status shows: Disabled then run: reagentc /enable

EDIT:You should also swap the sata cables to make your Windows OS to be disk 0. In addition, mark your data disk as "Inactive"

topgundcp, Jan 25, 2016
  7. shmu26 Win User
    I did it, but windows RE status is disabled. I went through the process twice, but same results.

Also, I could not change the active status of the data disk, because the option is greyed out in disk management

EDIT:
    I got the RE status to enable by following the directions here:
    https://www.winhelp.us/restore-windows-re.html
    I think that all I really needed to do was the last step: reagentc /enable but who knows?

I still can't mark my data disk as inactive, not sure how important that is...

shmu26, Jan 25, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

2 recovery partitions

Yep, that's all you need to do. If run again, the status should be: enabled

To mark inactive, from Admin command:
    • diskpart
    • select disk 1
    • select par 1
    • inactive
    • exit

For MBR disk.During POST, will search for Boot info if the disk is marked ACTIVE. Since the disk is a Data disk, no boot info can be found hence will delay the boot time.

topgundcp, Jan 25, 2016
  9. shmu26 Win User
    okay, that worked. The data disk no longer shows active.
    But neither does the C partition on the primary disk (which is now 0, since I switched the SATA cables as recommended)
    I tried the reverse command, but I got an error message saying it only works on MBR.
    My primary disk is GPT.

shmu26, Jan 25, 2016
  10. topgundcp Win User
    That's normal. Your disk 0 is GPT disk, no such thing as "Active" with GPT disk, only with MBR disk that needs to mark as "Active" in order to boot. You are all set.
    You can now mark it "SOLVED"

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

2 recovery partitions

1. 2 recovery partitions - Similar Threads - recovery partitions

2. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  3. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...: My desktop originated from Dell. It arrived with all kinds of boatware so in addition to the OEM install partition DWIN10, I created a second Windows partition WIN10 on which I installed just plain Windows 10 without Dell's junk. I also created another recovery environment...
  4. Need help with understanding the "Windows Recovery Environment" partitions on my Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  6. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  7. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. There are 2 recovery environment partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There are 2 recovery environment partitions.: There is usually only one recovery environment partition but I have two. One is about 500 MB and the other is a gigabyte. I remember running the AOMEI partition wizard because I had to move files on my C: to create a partition, and I think that is what created the new...
  9. There are 2 recovery environment partitions.

There are 2 recovery environment partitions.: There is usually only one recovery environment partition but I have two. One is about 500 MB and the other is a gigabyte. I remember running the AOMEI partition wizard because I had to move files on my C: to create a partition, and I think that is what created the new...
  10. My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition

My D drive now thinks it's a recovery partition: My laptop went wonky and the D drive disappeared. Disk management shows it as a recovery partition and won't let me do anything with it right clicking only shows "help" and the actions menu only shows "refresh", "rescan", "create VHD", and "attach VHD". Virus scans are clear....