Windows 10: 2 x Windows 10 on Dual Boot - 1 OS will not Start/Repair/Reset etc

Discus and support 2 x Windows 10 on Dual Boot - 1 OS will not Start/Repair/Reset etc in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I'm kind of at the end of my tether having tried various solutions over the web to try and fix this problem. I have 2 x Windows 10 on my PC, 1 OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by gtiracer, Mar 7, 2017.

1. gtiracer Win User

2 x Windows 10 on Dual Boot - 1 OS will not Start/Repair/Reset etc

Hi, I'm kind of at the end of my tether having tried various solutions over the web to try and fix this problem. I have 2 x Windows 10 on my PC, 1 OS works and one doesn't.

The failing one will not repair, no restore points, Have tried SFC scannow, CHkdsk, DISM commands and fixmbr, fix boot commands etc, tried reparing the image from a downloaded iso in CMD and RE. Really at a loss now as what to do

Nothing seems to work but from my other OS i can still access my files perfectly fine - Answers to the quesitons:

· OS - Windows 10 64 bit
    · What was original installed OS on system - Windows 7
    · Full retail version - Received from University on Microsoft Program (Cannot remember exact name of it now)
    · Age of system Approx 5 years
    · Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS - Yes, about 1 year ago ish?

· CPU - i7 980x
    · Video Card - 2 x Radeon R290
    · MotherBoard - Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    · Power Supply - XFX 1200W

· System Manufacturer - Custom Built Machine

· Laptop or Desktop? - Desktop#

Thank you in advance for any help I receive

Edit - Just to add when the problem first came up, it just came up with a Windows 10 Blue screen saying File missing windows\sdystem32\drivers\EHStoRtCGdRV with an error code of 0xc0000102 but since trying all said methoids above this screen does not come up anymore. When booting, it just goes into automatic startup repair mode and will always follow with a "Your system cannot be repaired" type box asking me to "Restart" or "Advanced options" - where you get restore, cmd prompt etc - Hope this helps

:)

gtiracer, Mar 7, 2017
  2. Smittychat., Mar 7, 2017
  3. rainree Win User
    KB3140743 will not install

Here's how I got kb3140743 to install. If you dual boot, triple boot, etc., this may help.

First, I triple boot OS X, Linux and Win 10 using cloverEFI boot loader. Whenever this failed update loop occurs, the solution is the always the same for me. My EFI partition is marked as active because that is where Clover resides so:::

1) boot into windows 10

2) launch disk management

3) set Win 10 as active

4) recheck, download & start the update

5) reboot when asked

Once complete, I boot from my USB boot drive and set EFI back to active.

Good Luck & I hope this helps you!

rainree, Mar 7, 2017
  4. zhousaifu Win User

Same issue with me for the most part, I am also unable to boot into safe mode, unable to auto repair. I CAN enter command prompt and use "DOS" to see all the directories and associated files.

zhousaifu, Mar 7, 2017
  5. axe0 New Member
    Please post a screenshot of your partitioning
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of
    OR
    in an admin command prompt (or recovery) enter following commands and post a photo of command prompt.
    Code: diskpart list disk sel disk # list partition[/quote] # = disk where Windows 10 is installed with the problem

6. gtiracer Win User
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Please see attached picture for your second instruction

Attachment 124910

gtiracer, Mar 12, 2017
  7. axe0 New Member
    A quick possible solution, download a Win10PE from this post, and use the fix boot option in Macrium which you may find in 'restore' tab.

8. gtiracer Win User

Apologies to waste your time but I have reformatted as I lost my patience with the machine - Appreciate the time you've given

gtiracer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 2 x Windows 10 on Dual Boot - 1 OS will not Start/Repair/Reset etc - Similar Threads - Dual Boot Start

2. 2 x m.2 ssd's as 2 partitions, 1 for os and 1 for all other software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 x m.2 ssd's as 2 partitions, 1 for os and 1 for all other software: I have 3 m.2 nvme ssd's installed on my mobo. I want to use two of them as 2 partitions and the third for my data / files. Can I put os on 1 partition and all other software on the other partition and how do I achieve this?...
  3. 2 x m.2 ssd's as 2 partitions, 1 for os and 1 for all other software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 x m.2 ssd's as 2 partitions, 1 for os and 1 for all other software: I have 3 m.2 nvme ssd's installed on my mobo. I want to use two of them as 2 partitions and the third for my data / files. Can I put os on 1 partition and all other software on the other partition and how do I achieve this?...
  4. Dual Booting 2 different Windows 10 versions on 1 PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Booting 2 different Windows 10 versions on 1 PC: I want to have another version of Windows 10 alongside the latest version that I am currently running now. Will this cause any issues? I've read that having two of the same OS in a dual boot is a bad idea. Since dual booting is usually only common with two different OS,...
  5. Windows 10, dual boot second os stuck on automatic repair.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10, dual boot second os stuck on automatic repair.: Hey, i'm currently running windows 10 dual boot, one of the windows versions is for my insider one. Can boot into one of both OS, not the insider version, but when i try to boot up in the second one. Im stuck on preparing to automatic repair or something like that. It...
  6. Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10: Hello. I had dual booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case), where Ubuntu...
  7. Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?

Dual boot: Safe to delete 1 OS ?: Hello ! Currently, I have dual boot Win7 and Win10. And the only reason I have Win7 is because the drivers for a printer were not updated to Win10. Now recently HP did just that, and I no longer need Win7. The way I have it set up is that I have Win7 on one partition,...
  8. 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?: Hello everyone, Just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 x Windows 10, dual boot. Would that be possible, at all ? If yes, could i rename one of them, or both, the way i want ? For example, when i select the OS, it should appear something like " Windows 10 gaming "...
  9. Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs): I have 2 Windows 10 (7 Upgrades) Installed, ...I would like to set them up, so I can Dual Boot them, without re-installing them. 24215
  10. Dual Boot Windows 10 on Mac OS X El Capitan

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Boot Windows 10 on Mac OS X El Capitan: Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone else is having issues with running windows 10 through boot camp on mac os x? I currently am experiencing glitchy display images as well as not being able to use the search bar next to the windows start menu. 8036