Windows 10: 64bit save dialog crashing after Creator's Update

Discus and support 64bit save dialog crashing after Creator's Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Ever since I did the creator's update on my windows machine a few months ago 64 bit programs can't save. Usually when I try the application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zealousky, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Zealousky Win User

64bit save dialog crashing after Creator's Update

Hello,
    Ever since I did the creator's update on my windows machine a few months ago 64 bit programs can't save. Usually when I try the application crashes. This has happened with all three browsers including MS Edge/IE, Chrome, and Firefox. I had to install the 32 bit MS office versions rather than the 64 bit. Most recently this happened yesterday with the 64 bit version of Sigil. 32bit versions of programs seem to work fine, it is only the 64bit where the save dialog is crashing. And 64 bit programs run fine until I try to save. It was working fine prior to the big update a few months ago. I've been waiting for another update to fix it, but so far no luck. Can anybody recommend some actions to take to try and fix it? Its really driving me nuts.
    Thanks,
    Simon

:)

Zealousky, Jul 5, 2017

2. File Open/Save Dialog crashing application that triggers it

I too am having the same problem after Creator Update, I tried the troubleshooting steps above to no avail. Everything on my machine is up-to-date. Trying to Open a File dialog window crashes, Chrome,
    snipping tool, Notepad etc..CTRL - O crashes the mentioned apps thus far..

Henok Girma, Jul 5, 2017
  3. File Open/Save Dialog crashing application that triggers it

Ever since the Windows 10 Creators Update installed itself onto my computer, whenever I try and use the File Open/Save dialog, the application that I am using it within will crash.

For example, if I want to attach a file to an email, Chrome will crash. If I want to open an image in Paint, Paint will crash. If I've spent a couple of hours in Microsoft Word writing a new resume and then go to save it, Word will crash (yes, this happened).

I downloaded a program called DebugDiag 2, and used it to track MS Paint while I caused the application to crash. I was given 2 exception ID's:

0XC000001D

0XC000041D

The File Open/Save dialog won't cause Edge to crash, nor will it cause Firefox to crash. I compared the dialog in Edge with the one shown in Firefox, to see if there are some shortcut that Firefox isn't loading, that other applications might be trying to
    load, and it's causing them to crash. The 2 that I noticed are "Camera" and "Photos". The Camera shortcut tries to open my camera (of which I don't have one), and the Photo's one tries to connect to some online service, that I haven't set up. So these two
    shortcuts could very well be what is causing other applications to crash.

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me?

Thanks,

Luke

Edit:

I have just opened MS Paint as Administrator, and I was able to use the File Open/Save dialog perfectly fine! Obviously that's not a fix, but it's interesting to know

Edit 2:

I have noticed that when I first sign in, if I open up MS Paint and then use the File Open/Save dialog to try and open a file, it will pop up correctly, as expected. However, after around 30 seconds of the computer being turned on, the dialog will then make
    the computer crash

Final Edit:

It turns out that in my case, the crashing was being caused by another application I had installed, Bins. Exiting that and disabling it from starting with Windows has fixed the problem

LukeDenton, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @Zealousky

Googling shows this '64 bad/32 good' save dialog problem has been reported as far back as Vista, so it's unlikely to be a specific bug in Creators that an update may fix, but a general one you've been unlucky to encounter. If you use a third-party AV, it's possible there's a conflict there. Try disabling it. If that fixes the problem uninstall it or look for an updated version.

If that's not your problem. then the general steps to repair a system are (in this order)...

1) run sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt (may need to run this several times to fix all problems)
    Run SFC Command in Windows 10

2) run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in an elevated command prompt
    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image

3) if the above steps don't fix the problem, then try an in-place repair install. This will 'upgrade' your system to Creators again, retaining all your files and installed apps.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Bree, Jul 5, 2017
Thema:

1. 64bit save dialog crashing after Creator's Update - Similar Threads - 64bit save dialog

2. Save As Dialog Boxes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save As Dialog Boxes: Is there any way to bypass the following dialog box in Windows 10?and go directly to THIS instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-dialog-boxes/e59435c7-7ca1-4ab7-957f-0e3756499b67
  3. Save As Dialog Boxes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As Dialog Boxes: Is there any way to bypass the following dialog box in Windows 10?and go directly to THIS instead? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-dialog-boxes/e59435c7-7ca1-4ab7-957f-0e3756499b67
  4. Save As Dialog Boxes

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Save As + Browse Dialog Box

Save As + Browse Dialog Box: I have Windows 10 and have recently noticed a change in the “Save As” “Browse” dialog box. The dialog box used to open with the File tree on the left side. Now it opens with a list of: Author, Type, Title, etc. How can I change this dialog box back to the previous version?...
  6. Open, Save dialogs not working after 1809 update.

Open, Save dialogs not working after 1809 update.: This is not so much a question as an observation to a previous question that went unanswered. I use high contrast due to eye problems. After Windows updated to build 1809 I could no longer open file dialog to open file location and if I open a document, could not open dialog...
  7. Dialog Box Save/Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dialog Box Save/Open: When saving or opening a file you are promoted with a dialog box, beside the file name there is a text box and beside the text box there is down arrow that will list all your recent saved or open files with it's path, how do I not have them be saved in the drop down list? I...
  8. Save Dialog Resize Problem

Save Dialog Resize Problem: So, recently while using Photoshop CS6 I ran into a problem with the save dialog window. When it opens, it is almost maximized and cannot be resized. I have tried everything. Double clicking the title bar, right click upper left corner (restore is greyed out), dragging from...
  9. Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing

Save / Save As / Open Dialog Crashing: I tried to do a search but it didn't come up with much. Have you guys seen an issue where the Save/SaveAs/Open dialogs don't open and instead the app crashes? I've seen it in Notepad, Paint and Word. If I kill all explorer.exe processes, and then launch for example Notepad...
  10. Windows 10 Creators Update crash

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Creators Update crash: Hi all Just had a freeze of my windows 10 when I was out of the room. I was streaming a radio station and left Cent (Chrome clone) browser open and when I came back to the PC the sound was glitching, like repeating a sound very quickly and mouse and keyboard had frozen....