8.1 start menu in 10

Discus and support 8.1 start menu in 10 in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; There was a way to change the start to the way it was in 8.1. I don't remember how that was done. Can someone remind me. 3034 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by whs, Nov 22, 2014.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

There was a way to change the start to the way it was in 8.1. I don't remember how that was done. Can someone remind me.

:)

2. rebeccabivens Win User

Start For Windows 10

Now I've gotten use to Window's 8.1 start menu if I upgrade to windows 10 will I be able to toggle between the actual start menu like windows 7 and the start menu that windows 8.1 has?

rebeccabivens, Nov 22, 2014
  3. OzoneMC Win User
    Start screen theme.

Windows 10 does not have Start screen. It has a Start menu, that can be either kept as a small menu or full screen.

No Start screen as such in W8 or 8.1

OzoneMC, Nov 22, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

8.1 start menu in 10

Brink, Nov 22, 2014
  5. Phone Man Win User
    If you change the option to use the 8.1 Start Screen and still boot to the Desktop you may find that some of your startup programs won't run when you boot. You have to also boot to the Start Screen and then they will run OK at startup.
    Just one of the bugs with W10.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Nov 22, 2014
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Thanks Shawn. I knew you had written a tutorial on the subject but I could not find it. The search function on this forum does not seem to work yet.

Update - the toggle works now. I wanted the 8.1 start mainly for the Apps. I have a hard time reading them on the new start. I wish that could be made a bit bigger. I have plenty of room on the 22" but it does not react to a bigger DPI. I also tried a few other settings in Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display, but no success.

Thema:

8.1 start menu in 10

8.1 start menu in 10 - Similar Threads - start menu

Forum Date

Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi all If this post is a repeat of an existing topic, I apologize, I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm trying to customize the Windows 10 start menu and I'm running into an issue with grouped boxes (the icons boxes created by placing one icon on top of another,...
Windows 10 Customization Thursday at 2:53 PM

New update messes my start menu up

New update messes my start menu up: I tested to see if my menu works before I installed the new update, and it was working. After restart for the update I checked it again and it's missing. What is up with these updates that keep removing my start menu? This is getting to be a pain and to think I liked windows...
Windows 10 Support Wednesday at 5:22 AM

Start menu typing search doesn't work

Start menu typing search doesn't work: I thought I could just type "rege" and get Regedit result right away. No. I need to type the whole name. What's going on? The Windows Search service is running. I disabled Cortana, but that shouldn't matter, should it? 112057
Windows 10 Support Tuesday at 12:04 PM

Start Menu Not Responding Enterprise

Start Menu Not Responding Enterprise: I imaged a new machine in my company's environment with Windows 10 Enterprise. Upon the user logging in to the machine, he reports his start menu not working. A reboot fixes the issue. Is there a solution other than rebooting the machine to fix this issue? I ran the sfc...
Windows 10 Support Jun 11, 2018

Would an out-of-date video driver cause the Start menu to stop working

Would an out-of-date video driver cause the Start menu to stop working: Hello, A while back, I had a problem where the Start menu wouldn't work. This started as an intermittent problem that usually went away when I rebooted, but developed into a full-time issue. Despite a lot of help in this forum (thanks again to all those who put in so much...
Windows 10 Support Jun 10, 2018

Taskbar GPO option NOT properly preventing right-click on Start Menu

Taskbar GPO option NOT properly preventing right-click on Start Menu: The GPO option "Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar" is NOT properly preventing users from opening up the Power User Tasks Menu by right-clicking on the Start Menu button. (I swear this USED to work before the Windows 10 Pro April 2018 update - build 1803)...
Windows 10 Support Jun 8, 2018

Missing Start Menu icons.

Missing Start Menu icons.: A lot of my Start Menu icons have recently disappeared. Both tiles and "All Apps" entries. The missing items range from games to Windows features. For example "Windows Accessories" only has three items listed and "Windows Administrative Tools" is missing altogether. The only...
Windows 10 Support Jun 7, 2018
8.1 start menu in 10 solved