Windows 10: A Context Menu Option To Reopen The Last File Explorer Window

Discus and support A Context Menu Option To Reopen The Last File Explorer Window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. So I noticed that sometimes when I close a File Explorer window, I want to undo closing it and bring in back so I can use it. The only possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Feb 5, 2018.

1. pepanee Win User

A Context Menu Option To Reopen The Last File Explorer Window

Hello. So I noticed that sometimes when I close a File Explorer window, I want to undo closing it and bring in back so I can use it. The only possible method that I know is just to go back to File Explorer and re-navigate back to that folder.

So let's take an example.
    I have a File Explorer window open at this location: X:\My Stuff\My Assets\My Electronics\My Phone
    I'm browsing around in that folder, then I press the Close button.
    Two seconds later, I decide that I want to copy a file from over there. So I open the Computer icon from the Desktop and browse back to that folder again. Is there a way to add an option in the right click menu that would bring back that same exact folder, instead of re-navigating to it?

Other notes:
    • It would be an option very similar to Google Chrome's idea: "Reopen closed tab"

A Context Menu Option To Reopen The Last File Explorer Window [​IMG]

• Technically speaking, is there a Registry value that saves the location of the last open folder in File Explorer? That would most likely make this option possible.

• There's an option in Microsoft Windows that remembers all the open File Explorer windows before powering down the computer. And when the computer starts back up, it would reopen those folders. So Windows has the ability to remember the recent past about opened folders.

I hope you know some info about this. Thanks!

***EDIT***: I found third party programs that can do that
    (like: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/undocl...closed-folders),
    yet I don't want a third party program that stays open. I just want an option that sits in the right click menu which executes a command to open the last opened folder. Thanks

:)

pepanee, Feb 5, 2018

2. File Explorer task bar context menu pinned items not working

Basically, when I right-click on the File Explorer it brings up the context menu fine. But when I click on a pinned or recent document it closes the context menu and then nothing happens. All other context menus work fine. Also, the File Explorer, Unpin
    and Close Window options work fine (although sometimes the list of recent files covers those options).

I tried to fix it by running gpedit.msc and going to
    User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer and disabled Remove File Explorer’s default context menu. I also enabled Display the menu bar in File Explorer (they were both not
    configured by default). And then I restarted my computer. It fixed nothing.

Just a small problem, because I can always just open another window through the context menu or if it's cover open another directory in another window through the already opened window. It's just a pain because I do
    a lot of file management, and it makes it really tedious and slow.

Thanks,

-

Electroshockist, Feb 5, 2018
  3. How to Open folder in a selected application (send folder contents to)

Type shell:sendto in File Explorer's address bar and press Enter. Anyway you don't even need to waste time placing shortcuts in SendTo because Winamp itself can add context menu items to folders.

As per the help page
    here
    , go to Winamp's Preferences > General Preferences > File Types > Explorer Settings and enable
    Show Winamp in folder context menus in Windows Explorer (Official description: Select this if you want "Play in Winamp" etc. added as an option in the Windows Explorer right-click context menu for folders.)

If you have the Jump To File Extra plugin (gen_jumpex.dll) installed you can also look at Shell Options > Windows Shell File Association Options >
    Windows Explorer Menu Control to further customize the folder context menu items.

RobertJWin, Feb 5, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

I use 2 3rd party programs that provide that sort of functionality- and not just in explorer.

One is Actual Window Manager, which adds a variety of buttons on the title bar. One of these is Recent Folders.
    -> Launch explorer, click button, click recent folder.

Another is Listary (free provides most functions), which provides a number of interesting functions. One is e.g. middle click on a blank region of a file explorer window, a range of categorised recent items appears including recent folders. Click the one you want.

Here you see the extra buttons along the top (which appear on any relevant dialogue - including universal apps- and a Listary popup.

The really useful thing is these are almost universal- e.g. apply equally to an open or save as dialogue, giving a consistent way of working.

And sorry, that does mean some part of these programs are running - under 10Mb RAM each, 0 CPU.

Have you considered making use of the jump list? That should meet your needs..

dalchina, Feb 5, 2018
  5. Callender Win User
    I would point out that you can get a Chrome style tabs file explorer:

See screenshot with multiple tabs and reopen last tab shortcut reopens multiple closed tabs in turn.

It also allow you to bookmark any tab. If you want to bookmark a file you need to first bookmark a folder then edit the bookmark.

If you just wanted to test the portable version it's here:

Clover Portable (32/64 bit) 3.4.0 #PortableApps by #thumbapps.org

Full version is here:

Clover Brings Chrome-Style Tabs to Windows Explorer. | 易捷科技 EJIE Technology

Callender, Feb 6, 2018
  6. pepanee Win User
    Thanks for the replies.

Hmm, I see. I don't really want to get 3rd party programs just for this one thing.
    I don't use Jump Lists. I have it disabled, because I use Classic Shell. But thanks for that suggestion.

I remember getting Clover a while ago and trying it out. I don't like how all the File Explorer windows are all in one window. I prefer to use the Windows TaskBar instead because I have it set up to be most convenient for me.

I'm wondering if anyone can figure out what the command is, that Windows uses, to remember the location of the last opened File Explorer window. I want to add that in the right click context menu.

Let me show you an example:

This is what is shown when I right click on the Desktop. I have Desktop images to play as a slideshow and change every 30 seconds from a folder full of pictures. As you can see, there's an entry right there that says "Locate This Picture"
    This is a link to a vbs file that opens the location of that Desktop image and highlights it in File Explorer.

I want to add an entry just like that in my Right-Click menu.

Can anyone figure out what command is used in those 3rd party apps that I can create and use with this example?

Thanks

pepanee, Feb 6, 2018
  7. dalchina New Member
    Given that the data you want is in a Jump List, then assuming you were prepared to enable that even if you never used it, this tutorial indicates where to find that data.

Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

It would then be up to you to try to interpret that and make use of it as you wish.

Note that Xyplorer, by contrast, can easily be set- or maybe its default is- to reopen the folder displayed when it is closed.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A Context Menu Option To Reopen The Last File Explorer Window - Similar Threads - Context Menu Option

2. Windows 11 - File Explorer menu option show twice on Start menu right-click context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - File Explorer menu option show twice on Start menu right-click context menu: Hello,I think I was installing a video driver update, and Windows froze and I had to force a hard reboot of the system. After that almost all of my task bar icons disappeared, However, I managed to put them back, But when I right-click the Windows Start Menu, File Explorer...
  3. Customize File Explorer context menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer context menu?: I tried searching the tutorials but came up empty . . . Is it possible to customize the file explorer context menu to remove items you don't want to appear on the menu? The "context" in this case is the menu that appears when you click on a .txt file, an image file or a...
  4. Context Menu Option to Concatenate Audio Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Context Menu Option to Concatenate Audio Files: It seems like, in Windows 7 or maybe XP, I used to have a tool or tweak that would create a right-click option to immediately merge two audio (especially .wav and .mp3) files, producing a single output audio file that would contain both (or all of) the selected input files,...
  5. Selected filename in new menu option in Windows Explorer Context Menu

Selected filename in new menu option in Windows Explorer Context Menu: It's possible to add a new menu option to Windows Explorer Context Menu with the first selected filename in menu text? Example: right click on "file.txt" file must show a menuitem called "Open filename.txt with MyProgram"...
  6. Get rid of the "Delete" option form the context menu in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Get rid of the "Delete" option form the context menu in File Explorer: Is there any way get rid of the "Delete" option form the context menu in File Explorer? I have spent hours trying to find a solution for this extremely tiny speck of a tweak. I have now tried tons of context menu editors to no avail (good god there are so many). The closest...
  7. Option to "add to file history" to context menu?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Option to "add to file history" to context menu?: Is there any way to include an option to "add to file history" to the context menu? It's tedious to have to jump into settings every time I want to add a folder to it. 140176
  8. Options missing from file context menu.

Options missing from file context menu.: when I go to file explorer and open a file and I want to cope or deleted it I right click on the file and and window open up and I cant see the words to fine cope or deleted. How do I change it so I can see the words when I right click. ***Title changed from: [missing...
  9. foobar2000 options missing from Window Explorer context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    foobar2000 options missing from Window Explorer context menu: I don't have the options to play a folder or queue tracks in foobar2000 anymore in Windows Explorer context menu. I've already checked Shell Integration on foobar2000 Preferences, and "Folder context menus" box is already checked. Apparently, the foobar2000 context menu...
  10. Windows Explorer Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Context Menu: Windows Explorer Context Menu Add custom items to Windows Explorer shell context menu easily with Explorer Context Menu. Easy to start (just install), easy to add your menu items (just one line of template code for every menu item), easy to use (.Net C#, VB, etc.) easy to...