Windows 10: Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10 How to Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by altros, Mar 19, 2018.

1. altros Win User

Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

How to: Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

How to Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

Recent items is a list of the files that you have used or opened recently. These items are displayed as "Recent files" in Quick access, and under "Recent" in jump lists on the Start menu and taskbar.

Frequent places is a list of folders, websites, etc... that you have opened recently. These items are displayed as "Frequent folders" in Quick access, "Frequent places" under File in File Explorer, and under "Frequent" in jump lists on the Start menu and taskbar.

When you reset and clear recent items and frequent places, it will clear all non default items including any locations you pinned to quick access.

Your recent items and frequent places are stored in the folder locations below. These are the locations that get cleared when you reset.
    • %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items
    • %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
    • %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations
    This tutorial will show you how to completely reset and clear all recent items and frequent places in File Explorer, Quick access, jump lists, Start menu, and taskbar for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Reset and Clear "Recent Items" and "Frequent Places" using a BAT file
    • Option Two: Reset and Clear "Recent Items" and "Frequent Places" in Settings app
    • Option Three: Reset and Clear "Recent Items" and "Frequent Places" in File Explorer Options

EXAMPLE: Where you will see Recent Items and Frequent Places

(Jump Lists in Start menu)

Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10 [​IMG]

(Jump Lists on taskbar)

(Quick access)

(File menu in File Explorer)

OPTION ONE [/i] Reset and Clear "Recent Items" and "Frequent Places" using a BAT file
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Reset_and_Clear_Recent_Items.bat

Download
    2. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .bat file.

4. Double click/tap on the .bat file to run it.

5. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close, and then your desktop quickly flash as explorer is restarted.

OPTION TWO [/i] Reset and Clear "Recent Items" and "Frequent Places" in Settings app
    1. Toggle to turn off and on recent items and frequent places.

For how, see: How to Turn On or Off 'Recent Items' and 'Frequent Places' in Windows 10

OPTION THREE [/i] Reset and Clear "Recent Items" and "Frequent Places" in File Explorer Options

*note Clearing File Explorer history deletes the info Windows saved about the files and folders you use as well as what you've typed in the address bar.

If you clear your history, the pinned until you open a folder.
    1. For how, see: How to Clear File Explorer History in Windows 10

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

altros, Mar 19, 2018
  2. BossDweeb Win User

I cannot pin any folders on the taskbar, but I can pin excel and word documents

I believe you already know the following, but just to clarify...

- You can pin folder shortcuts to the Jump List on the 'File Explorer' Icon by dragging and dropping a folder shortcut

from the desktop to the icon.

However (your problem ? ) if you get too many Recent items, the jump list gets maxed out, and you cannot

pin new shortcuts to folders as a result.

- You can change the number of items the Jump List can hold...

Change Maximum Number of Items in Jump Lists in Windows 10

- If you need to clear out Recent or Frequent to make space for more shortcuts this should help

(disabling and re-enabling should clear the list) ...

Turn On or Off Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

BossDweeb, Mar 19, 2018
  3. How to find most recently viewed or accessed files or documents in windows 10

In File Explorer, click on Quick Access in the left pane. This should show recent folders. If you right click on Quick Access and select >Options, under Privacy are settings to show recent files.

And see
    this article
    for your jump lists.

Turn On or Off Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

laudablepus, Mar 19, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome altros, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Brink, Mar 19, 2018
  5. altros Win User
    It also fixed my W10 search feature which has never worked before so thx for that too. My hate of W10 has reduced substantialy!

altros, Mar 20, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Be sure to post about any other issues you may be having with Windows 10 in the forum. Hopefully, we be able to help. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Clear Recent

2. lost Recent Places

in Windows 10 Gaming
    lost Recent Places: Lost the Recent Places folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-recent-places/459225e6-8c26-4249-a98f-d3844ae163d5
  3. lost Recent Places

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    lost Recent Places: Lost the Recent Places folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-recent-places/459225e6-8c26-4249-a98f-d3844ae163d5
  4. frequent windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frequent windows 10 reset: every time my Macintosh PC running windows 10 restarts it goes into repair mode and windows have to be reset frequently resulting in manual loading of all apps time & again....
  5. frequent windows 10 reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    frequent windows 10 reset: every time my Macintosh PC running windows 10 restarts it goes into repair mode and windows have to be reset frequently resulting in manual loading of all apps time & again....
  6. Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items

in Cortana
    Issue with Windows 10 Recent Items: I am having an issue with Windows 10 not showing recently used files in Network drives but if I open a file locally it does show up in Recent Items under This PC. I have the option turned on to show Recent Items and I even cleared it but the issue seems to persist. Am I...
  7. Recent places missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent places missing: Hi - there are various threads concerning this, but nothing has been done. My productivity has crashed with WIndows 10, and a lot is to do with the file opening and saving. I can pin recent folders to the file open widow, which helps, but when saving files this can't be...
  8. Disable Recent/Frequent Items for Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Recent/Frequent Items for Apps: How do I disable these frequent/recent items showing up for apps? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-recentfrequent-items-for-apps/08e69428-de68-4d73-b0eb-525e2563285e
  9. Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10: How to: Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10 How to Clear Recent Colors History in Windows 10 [img] Information To change your accent color in Windows 10, you can either select from Windows colors, a custom color, or let Windows automatically pick an accent color...
  10. Turn On or Off Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Recent Items and Frequent Places in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off 'Recent Items' and 'Frequent Places' in Jump Lists in Windows 10 Recent items is a list of the files that you have used or opened recently. These items are displayed as "Recent...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. script to Reset and Clear Recent Items and Frequent Places