Windows 10: A couple of questions about a clean install

Discus and support A couple of questions about a clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently. When I clean installed using my USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Oct 29, 2019.

1. A couple of questions about a clean install

Hi,
    I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently.
    When I clean installed using my USB installation media for version 1903 18362.356 a strange thing happened during the Windows Setup stage. After entering my Microsoft Account details, Windows Hello pin, I then accepted the Activity History/Timeline option. The next screen you usually get after that is where you are offered to Link your Android phone or iPhone to the PC but instead what I got was a quick flickering of the screen and what appeared to be a blank white screen that instantly disappeared, so the option to Link phone to PC was missed out. Instead, Setup moved straight on to the next screen you normally get during Windows Setup sequence which is OneDrive setup. Windows Setup went on to complete everything else normally after that
    Is this anything I should be concerned about? Could this have corrupted my installation in any way? Do I need to start over and clean install Windows 10 again from the beginning? I know that the option to Link your Android or iPhone to the PC can be done afterwards any time in Settings if required but I don't usually link my phone anyway.

One more question Im curious to ask. Every time Ive done a clean install, The Welcome Screen appears and I always immediately get a Searching for Display drivers notification popup saying performance/battery life may be affected until the display driver is installed.
    What are you supposed to do at that point? I close the Welcome Screen down immediately, leave my PC on for about an hour until I can see that all background downloading activity has finished. During this time the Nvidia Graphics drivers are automatically downloaded and installed in the background without any issues along with chipset drivers and a few other things. However, when I open notifications again, the searching for display drivers notification doesn't disappear even after my Nvidia drivers have been installed and are working correctly. I always have to manually delete the searching for display drivers notification or it remains there. Am I doing something wrong?

:)

sportsfan148, Oct 29, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 29, 2019
  3. JKarch Win User
    A Couple Questions About Partitions

Hello, it's been a couple days. So I decided to get back at the effort of resolving this, but I'm so confused on how to perform the steps you have listed above even though the list looks pretty simple and self-explanatory. Is it possible to go a little bit more in depth and explain it like you're talking to someone who has no experience doing something like this? That would be greatly appreciated.

JKarch, Oct 29, 2019
  4. simrick Win User

A couple of questions about a clean install

A Couple Questions About Partitions

Hi. Yes, sure, no problem.

So, what we need to do is properly install W10 onto your SSD, so that Windows ONLY needs the SSD to boot, and get rid of all unnecessary partitions.

So, step #1: go to Kyhi's recovery media thread and download the 64-bit W10586PESEx64 ISO.
    Decide how you are going to use it - will you boot your system to a disk, or boot to USB flash drive? Either burn the ISO to a DVD, or right-click it, select MOUNT and then copy all the files to a flash drive.

Step #2: Download and install Grab an ISO of Windows 10 from MS. Create a DVD or Flash drive which you will eventually use to clean install Windows 10. Then shut your computer down.

Step #3: Disconnect your Data drive, leaving only your SSD connected.

Step #4: Boot into the Windows 10 media you made from MS and clean install Windows 10, keeping nothing - no files, no programs. Using the custom install selection, you can nuke all partitions before the install. This will create the necessary partitions cleanly. The drive needs to be "un-allocated" when you begin the clean install of W10.

From the tutorial in our forum:
    A couple of questions about a clean install [​IMG]

Step #5: Shut down after W10 is clean installed.

Step #6: Re-connect your data disk.

Step #7 Boot the computer into Kyhi's recovery media

Step #8: Open Macrium Reflect (on the recovery media), in the restore tab, navigate to your C partition image on the data drive, and drag it over to the C partition on the SSD. Perform the recovery and your OS will be as it was, with all partitions cleanly in place as they should be.

Your system will then boot from the SSD only and all unnecessary partitions will be gone. Does that make sense? A couple of questions about a clean install :)

EDIT: If you need screenshots to help visualize things, just let us know.

simrick, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

A couple of questions about a clean install

1. A couple of questions about a clean install - Similar Threads - couple questions clean

2. Question about Clean Booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Clean Booting: Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-clean-booting/44738c96-5a20-4455-b06d-052e4209799f
  3. Question about clean installing windows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about clean installing windows.: Im going to be doing my first clean install and am wondering if I should unplug all my extras, second monitor, headphones, ect... when doing the clean install. Or is it okay if I leave everything plugged in? submitted by /u/route12 [link] [comments]...
  4. A couple of questions about Edge Chromium

A couple of questions about Edge Chromium: Does anyone know if it is possible to keep a site muted after the browser gets restarted? When I use Win+Tab I can see pages I've had open/history in Edge on my iPhone, but I don't see any pages I've had open on my actual computer. Does anyone know how to get them to show?...
  5. Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10: Long story short, my laptop somehow got screwed up by the latest Windows update and I need to do a clean install of Windows 10. I've gotten to a pop up that asks where I want to install Windows 10 and I'm unsure what to do. Here's what it looks like:[IMG] Thanks in advance!...
  6. A Couple of Questions about Windows Store Apps

A Couple of Questions about Windows Store Apps: 1) Is it possible to move an existing app which is installed from an internal HDD to an External HDD? 2) Is it possible to download apps to an external HDD but use those apps on another Windows 10 PC? Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/N4WW4F [link] [comments]...
  7. Question about Clean Install of Windows 10

Question about Clean Install of Windows 10: Split from this thread. Hello sir, a very good tutorial I have few questions 1) is it okay to do clean installation? I had already done 4 times reset this pc, my laptop is 11 months old. Will there be any kind of wear year to harddisk Or laptop. 2) recovery iso is...
  8. A Couple Questions About Partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A Couple Questions About Partitions: Hello forum, I'm a bit of a newbie as far as computers go. I've had this rig currently for about a year and am always messing with it to learn more about computers as I consider it a hobby and learning experience. Today I decided to take a look at the current disk situation...
  9. Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation

Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation: hi I'm wondering about a clean installation of windows 10,heres my problem: my mom accidently cracked my touch screen on by beats audio 15 special edition pc and now we have to send it back to at&t (we have the premier protection plan insurance) to get it fixed, however...
  10. Quick question about a clean install.

Quick question about a clean install.: I've been wanting to do a clean install of windows 10 for a long time. I have windows 10, but I want to reinstall it. I want to start fresh, so I've backed up my files. I just have one question, will I need to reinstall my drivers? Because I have no idea where to find...