Windows 10: A Couple Questions About Partitions

Discus and support A Couple Questions About Partitions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Here's an easy way to do it: Boot to Kyhi's recovery media. Make a Macrium image of your SSD (Disk 0 which is your OS - "C" ) to your D data drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JKarch, May 28, 2016.

1. simrick Win User

A Couple Questions About Partitions

Thanks Kyhi - I guess I was assuming he had Macrium installed already! *Wink

simrick, May 28, 2016
  2. Kyhi Win User

LOL.. I had a long response I was typing when yours popped up...

I liked your response better.... Easier...

3. simrick Win User
    Cheers! *Thumbs

simrick, May 28, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

I always seem to forget how Helpful and Useful that Bootable PE Rescue Disk is..

5. simrick Win User
    Yes, well I can see why! *Roflmao2

simrick, May 28, 2016
  6. JKarch Win User
    Alright, I'll definitely be doing this. But the partitions on the HDD would still exist, correct? Will that cause any confusion to the system?

JKarch, May 29, 2016
  7. Kyhi Win User
    once you get the SSD squared away - we can address the no longer needed partitions on the HDD

8. JKarch Win User

Hello, it's been a couple days. So I decided to get back at the effort of resolving this, but I'm so confused on how to perform the steps you have listed above even though the list looks pretty simple and self-explanatory. Is it possible to go a little bit more in depth and explain it like you're talking to someone who has no experience doing something like this? That would be greatly appreciated.

JKarch, Jun 3, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi. Yes, sure, no problem.

So, what we need to do is properly install W10 onto your SSD, so that Windows ONLY needs the SSD to boot, and get rid of all unnecessary partitions.

So, step #1: go to Kyhi's recovery media thread and download the 64-bit W10586PESEx64 ISO.
    Decide how you are going to use it - will you boot your system to a disk, or boot to USB flash drive? Either burn the ISO to a DVD, or right-click it, select MOUNT and then copy all the files to a flash drive.

Step #2: Download and install Grab an ISO of Windows 10 from MS. Create a DVD or Flash drive which you will eventually use to clean install Windows 10. Then shut your computer down.

Step #3: Disconnect your Data drive, leaving only your SSD connected.

Step #4: Boot into the Windows 10 media you made from MS and clean install Windows 10, keeping nothing - no files, no programs. Using the custom install selection, you can nuke all partitions before the install. This will create the necessary partitions cleanly. The drive needs to be "un-allocated" when you begin the clean install of W10.

From the tutorial in our forum:
    A Couple Questions About Partitions [​IMG]

Step #5: Shut down after W10 is clean installed.

Step #6: Re-connect your data disk.

Step #7 Boot the computer into Kyhi's recovery media

Step #8: Open Macrium Reflect (on the recovery media), in the restore tab, navigate to your C partition image on the data drive, and drag it over to the C partition on the SSD. Perform the recovery and your OS will be as it was, with all partitions cleanly in place as they should be.

Your system will then boot from the SSD only and all unnecessary partitions will be gone. Does that make sense? *Smile

EDIT: If you need screenshots to help visualize things, just let us know.

simrick, Jun 3, 2016
  10. JKarch Win User
    If I'd just prefer to just cleanly wipe the SSD (because I've backed up all my data before) can I skip the the first couple of steps that go through creating an image duplicate? And then just clean install windows 10 onto the SSD drive?

Also thanks for the extremely detailed guide, I needed it LOL

JKarch, Jun 6, 2016
  11. Berton Win User
    Yes. As a number of posts here show it is best to disconnect any other drives first so you don't get the installation on the wrong one, where accidentally or through missed prompts which can be a nightmare to correct.

Berton, Jun 6, 2016
  12. simrick Win User
    You're welcome.
    Yes, skip the image and clean install to an unallocated disk, with no other disks attached,

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A Couple Questions About Partitions - Similar Threads - Couple Questions Partitions

2. A couple of questions

in Windows 10 Support
    A couple of questions: Q #1. Can cookies be manually added to Google Chrome Browser? I recently purchased a new computer. I backed up my cookies and passwords and added them into the new machine. What I didn't realize that I had to "Turn on Cookies" so websites could recognize my usernames and...
  3. A couple of questions about Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A couple of questions about Edge Chromium: Does anyone know if it is possible to keep a site muted after the browser gets restarted? When I use Win+Tab I can see pages I've had open/history in Edge on my iPhone, but I don't see any pages I've had open on my actual computer. Does anyone know how to get them to show?...
  4. Question about deleting a partition.

Question about deleting a partition.: [ATTACH] For some reason MSI made two partition on the 500GB M.2 SSD on my GS65 (drive C for Windows and D for Data). I recently added a 1TB nvme to the laptop and was wondering if it was ok for me to delete Drive D so that there are only 2 partitions on my laptop. I'm not...
  5. Question about EFI partition.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about EFI partition.: I converted my boot drive to GPT a couple of days ago. Took a bit of effort because I used minitools instead of reimaging. I had to re-register a couple of pieces of software but other than all my software and hardware are functioning correctly. This is a snapshot of the MS...
  6. A Couple of Questions about Windows Store Apps

A Couple of Questions about Windows Store Apps: 1) Is it possible to move an existing app which is installed from an internal HDD to an External HDD? 2) Is it possible to download apps to an external HDD but use those apps on another Windows 10 PC? Thanks in advance. submitted by /u/N4WW4F [link] [comments]...
  7. A couple of questions about a clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A couple of questions about a clean install: Hi, I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently. When I clean installed using my USB installation media for version 1903 18362.356 a strange thing happened during the Windows Setup stage. After entering my Microsoft...
  8. Question about recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about recovery partition: OneKey Recovery no longer works on my laptop, presumably because of a clean install, so I'm planning to start using Macrium Reflect. There's a hidden partition called "PRB_DRV". How can I tell whether it's safe to delete this partition? 131144
  9. a question about partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    a question about partitions: [img] I would like 2 know if its possible to some how reclaim the unallocated space and merge it back with C: windows drive... I know disk management wont allow it because the unallocated space isn't adjacent to the main partition... the 2 smaller recovery partitions...
  10. Couple questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Couple questions: First of all does anyone know a simple way to deny permissions to an unknown user in the registry? S-1-15-3-1024-1065365936-1281604716-3511738428-1654721687-432734479-3232135806-4053264122-3456934681 this unknown user has read permissions all through out the registry - I...