Windows 10: A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User

Discus and support A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Thanks for previous help. Sure is a lot to know. Blame it on old age now. A few questions, please: a. How can I have the PC, when it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robert11, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Robert11 Win User

A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User

Hello,

Thanks for previous help.
    Sure is a lot to know.
    Blame it on old age now.

A few questions, please:

a. How can I have the PC, when it is shut off entirely, also shut off the Monitor (entirely) ?

b. When not using overnight, is it "better" to let the PC go into sleep mode, or better to shut it off entirely ?
    Has it been shown that one mode is better for the PC's HD (and other components too, possibly) life ?

c. How can I set the go-to-sleep time (when PC is inactive) on the PC ?

d. Where can I find Screensavers ? How do I install and run them in W10 ?

Much thanks,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Nov 17, 2015

2. a few questions from a new user

Hi,

I've just switched to the Nokia 5800 from using a Blackberry. On the most part I'm reaaly glad that I did but I've got a few questions

1, Is there any way to have the screen permanently illuminated whilst it it connected to the charger? Great for media playback in the car because I can see what is playing/skip tracks quickly etc. also really useful at home because I can leave messaging
    open and see what emails are arriving if my main machines are busy

2, Is there any way of knowing which connection my mail is using when it collects mail automatically? Connecting to to the internet allows me to choose

3, Alarms - is there any way to assign different tones to alarms? For example, I have set one tone which it seems all alarms use 'alarm/settings/clock alarm tone' Is there any way to set up something like an hourly 'bleep' whilst leaving the other alarm(s)
    untouched?

4, Back to mail...Is there any way that I can tell the phone only to automatically check for mail when I am away from my home network? I've found the setting to only collect when at home but I would like the opposite

5, Contacts/address book.....is there any way to add the additional fields available (such as addresses, work phone numbers, work email etc) on Ovi to a contacts name if you input it via the phones keyboard?

Sorry if some of these questions have been answered a thousand times (I did try searching first) but I would appreciate any help/solutions people can offer

Cheers

Andy

andy_k---01, Nov 17, 2015
  3. a few questions from a new user

not sure now why i bothered posting......

another forum full of people whinging whilst being so self obsessed they don't have time to answer questions

man, you've got to love the internet A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User :)

andy_k---01, Nov 17, 2015
  4. yu gnomi Win User

a: I don't know of any setting for this. Your monitor should be automatically shutting off completely when you shut down your PC.

b: For a laptop or tablet, sleep will continue to drain the battery - shutting down is better. For a desktop that you power from a wall outlet, I don't think it matters much, but you might save a couple of $ per month by shutting down.

c: Settings-->System-->Power and Sleep

d:Settings-->Personalization, Background, lock screen, colors-->themes-->theme settings (can also right-click on desktop background and select 'Personalize' to reach this). Screen savers selection is found in lower right of 'theme settings' screen

yu gnomi, Nov 17, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I don't believe this is true unless it's a laptop. On any desktop I've ever used, I have to manually turn off the display when I shutdown the computer.

Ztruker, Nov 17, 2015
  6. To respond in my own way additionally to everyone else:

a. You cannot. Monitors are created where they will go into a type of 'sleep' mode which saves electricity. Granted, it consumes a TINY bit of energy, but it seems the past generation cannot get over the fact that they grew up being required to turn the monitor off manually, because it wouldn't on its own. Old habits die hard. My recommendation: let it be. It even makes it easier to turn your computer on and have the monitor come to life by itself.

b. Sleep mode, 100%. Microsoft recommends this method as well. Both methods will turn off the HDD/SSD anyway. Only real benefit I see is that sleep mode wakes the computer faster than a cold boot. I think MS mentioned something about wearing the PC down with constant bootups and shutdowns, but I'm not sure.

c. Tutorial on how to set power options here: Power Plan Settings - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

d. Next to no one uses them any more. Sleep mode has replaced the need for them, and that is exactly why your monitor automatically goes to sleep after a time... instead of screen savers.

DustSailor, Nov 17, 2015
  7. Atomic77 Win User
    I guess sleepmode is the new thing these days. But I do know some people had some really cool screensavers back in the day.

Atomic77, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A Few Basic Questions; Brand New User - Similar Threads - Few Basic Questions

2. Basic Font question?

in Windows 10 Support
    Basic Font question?: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1110 Never had the need to do this before, but how do you install new fonts into the Font folder? I go to the Font folder in C/Windows/Fonts, but I can find no way to install the new fonts I have? They are ttf type. I tried drag and drop, doesn't...
  3. Boxcryptor users - I have a few questions . . .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boxcryptor users - I have a few questions . . .: Up front: I have not yet installed Boxcryptor (or other similar software). Before giving it a try I would like to ask some questions. Maybe what I am thinking of isn't possible. Scenario now: on both my PC and laptop, my files are stored within a TrueCrypt like container, I...
  4. A few questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A few questions: Hi there! I am a 19-year old student studying Level 3 Print Media & Journalism in the UK, a Creative Media course. I recently purchased a HP Stream 11 laptop, which arrived yesterday. I bought it to do my college work during this period of all schools + colleges being...
  5. Basic Question about User Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Basic Question about User Permissions: Hello, I am trying to set up a second user on my laptop (Windows 10) for the first time. The idea is to give a colleague access to a single folder and its subfolders, but not its parent folders or any other folders on the machine. I have created a new user and, from the...
  6. New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please): Hello, Brand new user. a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus. Should I use it ? Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC ? Use them both ? b. And, how do I turn on the "Defender" anti virus which I understand is part of the W10 package ?...
  7. A few basic display adapter questions

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    A few basic display adapter questions: New Lenovo P50 Win10 Nvidia Quadro M1000M (Driver 8/27/15, 10.18.13.5404). The Nvidia was part of the base package--didn't really need it. 1. If I have this fancy adapter why then is the Intel HD Graphics 530 also running per device manager? Shouldn't one or the other...
  8. New 1 user. Hi & a few questions....

in Windows 10 Support
    New 1 user. Hi & a few questions....: Hi all. New 10 user here. I normally use Windows 7 and my back up is a Windows 10. 7 is being repaired. My bottom search bar isn't working. The one on the bottom left. My bar at the top and the taskbar have suddenly got really small. Can't remember pressing...
  9. Brand new WIN 10 user

in Windows 10 Support
    Brand new WIN 10 user: My old operating system is XP3 and I never used anything else until I bought a brand new Envy with WIN 10 installed. I'm taking it one small step at a time. Recently I installed my first program, CCleaner. Now I can't find the program. I guess WIN 10 doesn't put icons on your...
  10. Some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some basic questions: At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to. 1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS...