Windows 10: Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 A power plan is a collection of hardware and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by evildog1, Jan 22, 2017.

1. evildog1 Win User

Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10

How to Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two.

All users (standard and administrator) will be able to make changes to any power plan settings.

Changes made to a power plan will affect all users that have chosen the same power plan as their default active power scheme.

Windows 10 provides the following default plans:
    • Balanced - Offers full performance when you need it and saves power when you don't. This is the best power plan for most people.
    • Power saver - Saves power by reducing PC performance and screen brightness. If you're using a laptop, this plan can help you get the most from a single battery charge.
    • High performance - Maximizes screen brightness and might increase PC performance. This plan uses a lot more energy, so your laptop battery won't last as long between charges.
    • Ultimate Performance - Only available starting with Windows 10 build 17083. Provides ultimate performance on higher end PCs.
    • Custom power plan - These are only available if either your PC manufacturer (OEM) provided additional power plans, and/or you create a custom power plan. These are available to all users.
    This tutorial will show you how to change the settings of a power plan that you want to customize to reflect how you want Windows 10 to manage power.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Change Advanced Power Settings of a Power Plan in Power Options
    • Option Two: Change Screen and Sleep settings of Current Active Power Plan in Settings app

OPTION ONE [/i] Change Advanced Power Settings of a Power Plan in Power Options
    1. Do step 2 (Power icon), step 3 (Control Panel), step 4 (Win+X), or step 5 (Settings) below for how you would like to open Power Options.

2. Right click or press and hold on the step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Open the step 6 below.

4. Open the step 5A below. (see screenshot below)

5. Open Settings, and click/tap the System icon. (see screenshot below)
    A) Click/tap on Power & Sleep on the left side, click/tap on the Additional power settings link under Related settings on the right side, and go to step 6 below.

6. Click/tap on the Change plan settings link to the right of the power plan that you want to change the settings of. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Normally you would want to change the settings of the power plan that you have selected (dotted) as your default power plan.

7. Click/tap on the Change advanced power settings link. (see screenshots below)

8. You can now make changes to the power plan settings below to suite your needs. When finished, click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

*note If you have a computer with a battery (ex: laptop or tablet), or connected to a UPS, then you will be able to change these settings for when your computer is on battery and plugged in.

]

OPTION TWO [/i] Change Screen and Sleep settings of Current Active Power Plan in Settings app
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Power & sleep on the left side, and set the Screen and Sleep settings to what you want for your current power plan. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

evildog1, Jan 22, 2017
  2. Jsssssssss, Jan 22, 2017
  3. Shenan Stanley, Jan 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello evildog, *Smile

The Power Plan Settings are located below in the registry, but it's not recommended to set them here unless you really know how.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings

If you like, you can use Option 3 or 4 below as an example for how to set power plan settings using the command prompt.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...a.html#option3

Brink, Jan 22, 2017
  5. prikker Win User
    I set my laptop to High Performance, because I never use the battery.

prikker, Jan 22, 2017
  6. evildog1 Win User
    Thanks Brink and i know what i'm doing with registry keys

evildog1, Jan 24, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome evildog1. I know you do mate. It was more of a warning for others that may not to help prevent issues. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Power Plan

2. Automatic Change of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Change of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  3. Automatic Change Of Power Plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Change Of Power Plan: When I Start On My Laptop Automatically My Power Plan Going to High Perfomance Power Plan , Then I Change To Balance Power Plan and Close the Control Panel . After That I Again Go to the Power Plan and There is Only Balance Power Plan . But If I Reboot My Laptop Then Power...
  4. Power Plan keeps changing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Power Plan keeps changing in Windows 10: [ATTACH]One of the issues that many Windows 10 users are reporting is that their […] This article Power Plan keeps changing in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Power plan settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power plan settings: Hello, i have a problem with adding high performance plan to my laptop Asus ZenBook 2020. As i don't see high or ultimate performance power plans nowhere in Power option panel, even under the arrow. I though i'd add one. First i went to the lower power option panel and...
  6. Windows 10 power plan settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 power plan settings: Why the fuck has the latest Windows 10 update decided to now select 'balanced' as the power options every single boot despite what i have it set to??? Even funnier - your own troubleshooter for power, views having a 'high performance' plan selected as an issue! WTF....
  7. Windows 10 Power Plan Keeps Changing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Power Plan Keeps Changing: Lately all my computers power plans keep changing to "High Performance". I keep changing it back to "Balanced", but it doesn't stick. I think it only started happening since the v2004 update. Is there a workable fix for this?...
  8. Cannot Change Power Plan settings, forced to "Balanced"

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Change Power Plan settings, forced to "Balanced": So I recently just realized that my Power Plan was on Balanced all along, and when I tried to set it to any other option it would just force itself back to Balanced, I have no idea why this is happening (as shown in the attached GIF) [img] 131257
  9. power plan is changing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power plan is changing: My laptop is set to never sleep. However, sometimes it actually goes to sleep. But the issue is that when it awakes, Windows changes my power plan. Any assistance is appreciated....
  10. Windows 10 Power Plan Keeps Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Power Plan Keeps Changing: I have set my laptop to never sleep, regardless of whether it's charging or not, and there have still been instances where it's gone to sleep. Upon waking it, I find that windows has changed my power plan. How can I stop this?...