Windows 10: A question about service updates

Discus and support A question about service updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Lately I have been getting pop ups outside of active hours that say something like updates are available do you wish to restart you computer? If I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bha19, Mar 9, 2018.

1. bha19 Win User

A question about service updates

Lately I have been getting pop ups outside of active hours that say something like updates are available do you wish to restart you computer? If I restart my computer and go to windows update it says kb4074588 available and awaiting restart (for example). My question is why would it say awaiting restart if I just restarted my computer?

:)

bha19, Mar 9, 2018
  2. Entegy Win User

Question about switching service and getting updates

The update schedule is determined by the ORIGINAL carrier.

Here's a real world example: I have a Rogers (Canada) Lumia 920. However, I currently live in Australia and use my Lumia 920 with Telstra. Now, Telstra sells their own Lumia 920s, however even if Telstra approves an update for the 920, I have to wait until
    Rogers approves the update to actually get it on my phone.

Entegy, Mar 9, 2018
  3. Question about switching service and getting updates

Ahhh gotcha. I figured with Straight Talk offering AT&T sim cards, that I'd still get updates and such.

Thank you so much. You helped me a lot! =)

MChaney3563, Mar 9, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Either it failed to install for some reason or has downloaded since the last time you restarted.

Have a look in update history (just under the Status in Windows Update).

lx07, Mar 9, 2018
  5. bha19 Win User
    I tried another restart and it said failed to install updates. I then went to check updates and it is now downloading the update. I then restarted the computer and it says install failed. It also says this is the 7th time it tried to install the update.

bha19, Mar 9, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    Go to the microsoft update catalogue and download the offline version to install.

cereberus, Mar 9, 2018
  7. bha19 Win User
    I already started doing that, but thanks for the tip.

bha19, Mar 9, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

What update (KB something)? What was the message (0x8 something)?

A question about service updates [​IMG]

If you know the KB number you can as mentioned above download it from here (changing the KB number):

Microsoft Update Catalog

You'll want the correct x64 or x86 (64 or 32 bit) version to match your system - ask if you are stuck *Smile

lx07, Mar 9, 2018
  9. bha19 Win User
    First off I am on a x64 based operating system.
    I went to Microsoft Update Catalog and downloaded the file(KB4074588) for windows 10 x64 based computers. I then installed the update and restarted my computer. I went to windows update and it says:
    updates are available and awaiting restart. 2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4074588). I then clicked on view installed update history and 409013 also says restart was required but I guess that may have finally installed since it is not listed in the updates available. All other updates have installed.

bha19, Mar 9, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    KB4074588 (February cumulative update) is superseded by KB4090913 (March) - see picture above. Once there is a new cumulative update you don't require the previous one as the previous fixes are included.

Just for your interest if you look in the catalog and see the choice between the full package and the delta always take the full one (which you did as it was at the top) - the delta assumes the last months was already installed and only includes changes since then and wouldn't work if you didn't have the last months installed. The full (bigger) one will always work.

11. bha19 Win User
    Thanks for everyone's help. One last question I hope, I went and tried to manually install the March update (since that one said restart required when I viewed install history) to make sure it was there and it says already installed (whew!). When I go to windows update it still says that February update is still awaiting a restart instead of the check for update box.Why is this box not there now if the March update included the February update? I never have checked for updates since windows does it automatically.

bha19, Mar 9, 2018
  12. lx07 Win User
    Can you post a picture like the one above? You can see there that (for me) it failed to install something on 8th Jan it had successfully installed 3 days earlier (not surprising I suppose). I ignored it and it has been fine since then.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - it cleans itself up most of the time but there is a tutorial to reset the Windows Update below if you want to try it.

Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

13. bha19 Win User

Here you go:

bha19, Mar 9, 2018
  14. lx07 Win User
    And you have presumably tried restarting?

15. bha19 Win User
    yes I tried restarting and and shut down as well. I also have fast start up disabled not that that matters. Since the newer build is installed I guess I will not worry about it.

bha19, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A question about service updates - Similar Threads - question service updates

2. Question about few windows 10 services.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about few windows 10 services.: Hi. Which service or process in windows 10 is stubbornly re-enabling the following services that I permanently disabled : -WaaSMedicSvc, -UsoSvc, -wuauserv ? I am well aware that upon normal circumstances these services should be running, however my PC is a "special case"...
  3. Question about 2004 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about 2004 update: I just updated one of my laptops to 2004 and it went fine, but then I noticed in the start menu app list at the bottom, under "Other" there is an app called ms-resource:ProductName. IIRC, it wasn't there before I updated from 1909 to 2004. I read it might go away after more...
  4. Question about update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about update: I am a non- insider and I installed .113 build from uupdump.. I checked for updates to get onto .116 build but I got KB4497936. Did anyone else get this update? Why didn't I get the .116 update? 132936
  5. question about log applications and service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    question about log applications and service: Hi all i recently checked my logs and found something i have never seen before. I also had a lot of problems with my desktop a while ago and so i want to make sure it's noting to worry about. Because of the writing it looks cryptic but i am not sure and because i can't...
  6. question about log applications and service

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    question about log applications and service: Hi all i recently checked my logs and found something i have never seen before. I also had a lot of problems with my desktop a while ago and so i want to make sure it's noting to worry about. Because of the writing it looks cryptic but i am not sure and because i can't...
  7. Question about Superfetch Service

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Superfetch Service: Hi. My Desktop is an HP Windows 10 Home with Intel i5 7th gen processor and 12GB Ram. A while back I found that Superfetch caused 100% Disk usage which slowed down the computer to a crawl. After doing some research on this issue I decided to Disable the service. Today I did...
  8. Question about updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question about updates: I installed Win 10 Home which is build 10240. After installing some updates, it's still showing v. 10240 while Microsoft has released build 10565. Do I have to do a re-install to get the latest fixes and features? 26756
  9. Question about starting a program as a windows service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about starting a program as a windows service: I hope someone can help. I created a windows service to start speedfan when Windows starts and it works fine except there is no tray icon after it starts. Does anyone know how to get the tray icon to show when it starts. I did go to the obvious place in taskbar settings. That...
  10. Question about Automatic Updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Automatic Updates: I have a question about Windows 10 and Automatic upgrades, windows 10 is free for a year, I was reading an article that said you will have to upgrade your computer by 2016 if you want to keep windows up to date? I thought Windows 10, once installed and activated, was free...