Windows 10: Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 How to Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by throkr, Oct 18, 2015.

1. throkr Win User

Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

How to: Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

How to Reset Windows Update in Windows 10

Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft.

Sometimes you may have an issue with Windows Update such as not being able to download or install updates, error messages, not being able to search for new updates, etc. These kind of issues can occur when the Windows Update database or components are corrupted, one or more services related to Windows Update are not running, etc.

Resetting the Windows Update components and history can usually solve these types of issues.

This tutorial will show you how to completely reset Windows Update components, history, and policies to default in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to reset Windows Update.

EXAMPLE: Update history before and after reset

Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1 Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below.
    Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat

Download

The downloadable .bat file below contains these commands that will reset Windows Update.

Code:
    2 Save the .bat file to your desktop.

3 Unblock the .bat file.

4 Right click or press and hold on the .bat file, and click/tap on Run as administrator.

5 If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes to approve.

6 When finished and the command prompt automatically closes, restart the computer to apply. It is important to restart the computer right after running the .bat file.

If a service fails to stop after 3 attempts, the .bat file will automatically end with a "Failed to reset Windows Update" message and prompt to press a key to continue.

When a key is pressed, the .bat file will then restart any service it had stopped before closing the command prompt.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

throkr, Oct 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Oct 18, 2015
  3. How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Even though I have an external device with more than 40 Gb capacity and the assistant recognizes it, it still keeps asking me to free 5 more Gb from the (unit CReset Windows Update in Windows 10 :).

I have 3'62 Gb free memory in (Unit CReset Windows Update in Windows 10 :). It asks me to free 5'63 Gb more. That'll make a total of 9'25 GB. The assistant needs 9'80 GB free memory to update windows 10 without any external device. Does this mean that my external device will only be used
    for 0'55 GB? Please I don't understant anything. I just want my laptop to work. I'd stay with my actual version but it keeps showing me ads, interrupting my work and deleting random stuff because of uninterruptible random updates. It has already freed 3 GB
    and I dont even know where from.

Thank you.

Update windows 10 error, Oct 18, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help throkr. *Smile

Brink, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Shawn, does the script work for windows 7 or Windows 8.X
    I am concerned with the DLL's which might not be present in windows 7 or 8.

Sumit Dhiman, Nov 18, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Sumitdhiman, *Smile

It would be recommended to use the one below for Windows 7/8 instead.

Windows Update - Reset - Windows 7 Help Forums

Brink, Nov 18, 2015
  7. You have the solution for everything!Keep up the good work and Thanks *Smile

Sumit Dhiman, Nov 18, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Archquark Win User
    Brink,

I followed steps per instructions but file is still running after 15 minutes. Should it take this long? It appears to be reaching a certain point then restarting.

My updates were working correctly until today.

Archquark, Dec 23, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Archquark, *Smile

No it should not take that long. It usually only takes a few seconds. It sounds like it's still trying to kill one of the services. Most likely the wuauserv service. The .bat has built in checks to make sure the necessary services are stopped before continuing. If they are not, it will keep trying.

If you like, try manually stopping the service, and run the .bat again.

If you are unable to stop the service, then restart the computer, and try running the .bat again.

Brink, Dec 23, 2015
  11. Archquark Win User
    Brink,

I went to services and found that Windows Update was shown as stopping and startup type was selected manual. I rebooted my computer but on checking saw that status and startup type has not changed. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Option to stop service is grayed out.

Archquark, Dec 25, 2015
  12. Archquark Win User
    Brink,

Further to my last post I restarted instead of rebooting and upon checking saw that Windows Update service was running. I attempted to stop the service using the properties menu but received the message as shown below.

Archquark, Dec 25, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 25, 2015
  14. Archquark Win User
    Brink,

I entered safe mode and checked windows update service and noted that it was already stopped. I ran bat file in safe mode and it ran and finished. I attempted a restart but computer kept returning to safe mode. I opened msconfig and opted out of safe mode and restarted in normal. Windows Update appears to work and states the computer was up to date. I checked update history but there was none shown where before there was several updates. Retried windows update and it appeared to operate correctly again. Still no updates showing which had been installed previously.

Archquark, Dec 25, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's great news. It's fixed for you now. *Party

The reset also clears your update history.

Brink, Dec 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Reset Windows Update in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Update

2. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settings and...
  3. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset: Currently unable to do anything with my windows, it's fully locked up but I can still get into my programs and play games.I have already tried literally everything availablehere are some things I'm experience:occasionally a stack buffer overflow warning in settings and...
  4. Unable to do anything with windows update including full PC reset

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to get update and security page to load after reset. Currently directing to display on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get update and security page to load after reset. Currently directing to display on...: I did a reset of Windows 10 on my laptop today and afterwards the update and security link directs back to my laptop display instead of opening in the settings. I haven't done anything else because I don't know what to do!...
  6. How to get update and security page to load after reset. Currently directing to display on...

How to get update and security page to load after reset. Currently directing to display on...: I did a reset of Windows 10 on my laptop today and afterwards the update and security link directs back to my laptop display instead of opening in the settings. I haven't done anything else because I don't know what to do!...
  7. How to get update and security page to load after reset. Currently directing to display on...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows Hello PIN got removed after updating the BIOS; Tried Resetting from Live account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Hello PIN got removed after updating the BIOS; Tried Resetting from Live account...: Windows Hello PIN got removed after updating the BIOS on my MSI motherboard. Now it says me to sign in with my Password which I forgot somehow. Now there's even a Hint for the password, but I'm kinda out of my mind to remember that back. So, I changed it from my phone with...
  9. Windows Hello PIN got removed after updating the BIOS; Tried Resetting from Live account...

Windows Hello PIN got removed after updating the BIOS; Tried Resetting from Live account...: Windows Hello PIN got removed after updating the BIOS on my MSI motherboard. Now it says me to sign in with my Password which I forgot somehow. Now there's even a Hint for the password, but I'm kinda out of my mind to remember that back. So, I changed it from my phone with...
  10. How can I stop Nvidia GeForce experience driver update from resetting my desktop background...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I stop Nvidia GeForce experience driver update from resetting my desktop background...: OK, so I have 3 monitors with 3 different background images. all Jpeg files. Every time I update my Nvidia 3060 drivers, I update manually and just download the current driver needed. While downloading the monitors go black and flicker a few times then my main monitors...