Windows 10: Access denied to C: drive serious issues

Discus and support Access denied to C: drive serious issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Following a successful upgrade from my PC running Windows 7 pro 64bit I had a short while running OK. I then had a Notepad window appear on startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jeff o, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Jeff o Win User

Access denied to C: drive serious issues

Following a successful upgrade from my PC running Windows 7 pro 64bit I had a short while running OK. I then had a Notepad window appear on startup together with a sub window saying 'access denied'. Clearing these was no problem but I asked on another forum how to get rid of these messages. I was told to change the access rights on my C: drive and that was when my problems really started.

Now I can't access my C: drive at all and most of my programs transferred from W7 are not working. Whatever I do I get a message saying 'access denied'! My D: drive (partitioned) is fully OK.

I have tried to change the access rights in C: ---- Denied
    I have tried to recovery/reset on my W10 ----Failed
    I have tried to revert back to W7. It got 1% into making the change and stopped ---- Failed
    I even tried option 4 in this link Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums but I got as far as putting REM_SAM into the Load Hive and it said it was already in use ----Failed

Although I have a backup of all my personal folders and files I do not have a backup of my W10 set up. I think I have a backup of my Windows 7 but it is not up to date and I am not really sure how to use it.
    I really need help on this one. I have over 20 programs that were successfully transferred over to W10 most of which I need but am not sure how to reload them if they are lost. Most are not now working!

:)

Jeff o, Jun 11, 2016
  2. bap2690 Win User

C: Access is denied

I tried to block C, D and F drive from standard users. Post that, I am not able to access these drives.

I tried both methods given in below link -

C drive access denied in windows 10

I am unable to use any regedit option as acessss to C drive is denied.

Still issue persist. Kindly siggest.

bap2690, Jun 11, 2016
  3. C drive access denied

When I click on C drive it shoe me that "Access is Denied" & on properties open in security option there not show Administrator or Group. How can I fix this problem.
    Access denied to C: drive serious issues [​IMG]

IftekherAlam, Jun 11, 2016
  4. bookfox Win User

IMO, as it sounds like you've done everything else, including the attempted 'recovery/reset' - have you tried reinstalling 10 from a USB media?

bookfox, Jun 11, 2016
  5. flybynite Win User
    I think you have a virus judging from those pop-ups you got.

flybynite, Jun 11, 2016
  6. Jeff o Win User
    Thanks bookfox for that suggestion. How do I go about using a USB to reinstall W10. I did download W10 to get me going in the first place as the W7 upgrade did not work. The file was Windows10Upgrade9252.exe . Would this be the file you mentioned?

Jeff o, Jun 11, 2016
  7. flybynite Win User
    You need to go to this website. Code: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/[/quote]

flybynite, Jun 11, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Where did you get that file from? I have never seen anything close to that coming from Microsoft.

NavyLCDR, Jun 11, 2016
  9. Jeff o Win User
    Sorry about the delay in answering but I have been doing a deep virus scan. A few corrupt files but no big concerns.
    I forget where I got the upgrade file from but as I was getting nowhere with the W7 to W10 auto upgrade and MS was far from helpful so I probably asked in my Computer forum and given a link there.
    Do I use this again to reinstall W10?

Jeff o, Jun 12, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jun 12, 2016
  11. flybynite Win User
    flybynite, Jun 12, 2016
  12. Jeff o Win User
    Thanks for the links to the ISO download . Looks as if I will have to do it via another PC as I don't have any admin rights on this PC any more.

I have a few questions following any new installation:

1. Will the replacement W10 be the pro 64bit version as I have now?
    2. I am using Windows Live Mail ( in W10) that has my email addresses and stored emails. Will I be able to install WLM into the new build? And how can I get all my currently stored old email mails transferred?
    3. I am also successfully using several other programs including Office 2003 & Photoshop CS2, both of which I have the correct keys. Will I be able to load and use these programs OK?

Jeff o, Jun 12, 2016
  13. Jeff o Win User

So I used my laptop to download the ISO file (4.2GB took over 2hrs) to download but when I went to move it to a new 32GB USB it said the file was too big and there was not was not enough space! I then had to find a portable DVD burner to get it on a disc. Very slow, probably about an hour.
    Having got this ISO image how exactly do I use it? The information about product keys, time limits on the use of the ISO and MOUNTing the disc is getting me very confused.

Jeff o, Jun 12, 2016
  14. Jeff o Win User
    I have been downloading the ISO file to my USB now for over 3 1/2 hrs and still it says 'Getting a few things ready'. how long do think it should take?

Jeff o, Jun 12, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    Hi @Jeff o, I thought we had moved to your new thread?
    Windows 10 access issues now trying to re-install from ISO on DVD - Windows 10 Forums

How are you downloading the ISO, using the Media Creation Tool? I don't know what your internet speed is, but I would think you should be about finished by now?

simrick, Jun 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Access denied to C: drive serious issues - Similar Threads - Access denied drive

2. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  3. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  4. c:\ is not accessible.......Access is denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    c:\ is not accessible.......Access is denied: Windows 10 c:\ is not accessible.......Access is deniedJust recently I have started to have this problem when trying to access c::Computer runs fine , but, also programs cant update because of this.I have tried all the suggestions on here and for c:: properties\ security and...
  5. C:\ drive access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\ drive access denied: I can't open the C:\ drive, this is after auto repair of the laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-access-denied/e50b6564-56dd-40d6-934c-3a5a1e394e3a
  6. My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied: My little brother was on my PC, and I guess he fucked around with my administrator settings, now I can't access my c drive. I tried to make another account, didn't work. I would try to open something like a task manager, and it would say windows couldn't access it. If I tried...
  7. Access to C drive is denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to C drive is denied: Access to C drive is denied, Cannot take ownership, right clicking on it freezes the laptop for 15 sec and access denied message pops up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-c-drive-is-denied/e8ce725f-eb6a-4dd6-b9e9-b3871e097ae2
  8. Access to Drive C: denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Drive C: denied: I run Windows 10 and seem to have mistakenly changed some security settings which has resulted in me being denied access to drive C unable to run programs such as MS office apps. Oddly, there are some programs that still works though. After trying most of what I have found...
  9. Access local C: drive denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access local C: drive denied: Can;t acces my local C Drive says I'm restricted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-local-c-drive-denied/3ba21f71-5a38-4c55-8a1c-29f7db858c52
  10. C drive access denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive access denied: I was trying to keep my 120 gig ssd drive just for windows. I have a 1 terabyte hard drive for the rest. In the process I locked myself out. Anything I try to do I get access denied. I still have admin rights, but its worthless. I cant even trouble shoot. Ive tried 4...