Windows 10: Access denied to C: drive serious issues

Discus and support Access denied to C: drive serious issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; How do I create new? After deleting all the partitions (I hope you had your important files backed up), select the "Unallocated Space" and click "New"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jeff o, Jun 11, 2016.

1. badrobot Win User

Access denied to C: drive serious issues

After deleting all the partitions (I hope you had your important files backed up), select the "Unallocated Space" and click "New" and just follow the prompts.

Access denied to C: drive serious issues [​IMG]

badrobot, Jun 13, 2016
  2. Jeff o Win User

I have deleted partitions so I now have just two: 30.1GB unallocated and 901.4 Partition 1 type Primary. I can only get 'NEW' on the unallocated and still can not install Windows for the same reason I said before.
    I tried increasing the size of the unallocated drive but it says the maximum is 30820MB.

I have now deleted all drives and get just the unallocated one, I then created a new drive and it gave me about four! All at different sizes. However I now seem to be able to progress and it is getting files ready for installation. I only hope that I have done the right thing!
    I will keep you posted.
    Thanks for now

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  3. badrobot Win User
    That's what I meant, delete all so you can create GPT partitions. You can't have both MBR and GPT on the same drive. It's either one or the other. That's how GPT disk work after creating new partitions. It will create small system partition.

badrobot, Jun 13, 2016
  4. Jeff o Win User

Oh Oh I left my PC installing the new build and when it seemed to have completed it powered off and rebooted asking whether I wanted to start install W10 again. I assumed that it was because I had left the boot preference pointing at the USB (still connected). So I changed the boot bios back to the hard drive setting and restarted but it said it could not find the hard drive.
    I have put the boot back to USB and am going through the whole process again!

It is asking to load W10 again this time into the largest of the drives. It is going through the whole Installing thing again! What must I do to get it going properly?

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  5. Jeff o Win User
    It keeps saying that there is no boot disc or disc has failed. It seems to think my SanDisk (my USB) is the hard drive name when I change the Boot Bios. I presume that I have installed W10 OK but how do I get it to boot up properly?

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The way that you want to do a clean install is to delete all the partitions on the hard drive until it is one big unallocated space on the custom install options screen. Then click next to install Windows to the unallocated space. Do NOT click new after all the partitions are deleted. Just next and let Windows create the partitions it needs.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2016
  7. Jeff o Win User
    OK I have done exactly what you suggested and at the end of the installation it reboots itself and restarts the installation. NOT GOOD!

Where do I go from here? The only thing that I can think of is that right at the beginning it asks for the Language, Time and Keyboard I have been putting in English UK time and Keyboard. It won't let me change the language to English UK but this is OK.

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Pull the USB out and let the computer boot from the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2016
  9. Jeff o Win User
    It just says 'ERROR no boot disk detected'

This the same issue following three W10 installation attempts.

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  10. Jeff o Win User
    Just what is going on with Windows 10? I have spent four whole days getting nowhere. In fact at each stage of my efforts I have become worse off. I have done everything that has been recommended and now my PC is dead.

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    On the Information or Main tab of your bios (UEFI), is the hard drive listed? Also, in the lower right corner of my UEFI it says F9 for setup defaults. You might have an option for setup defaults or optimized defaults. Have you tried the F key for Optimized Defaults (first) or Setup Defaults (second)?

Also, if you make a USB flash drive or CD of Kyhi's recovery drive, you can boot into that and get a screenshot of disk management and that would help us immensely.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Jun 13, 2016
  12. Jeff o Win User
    Sorry for the delay in answering but my laptop is now playing up!
    Yes I have tried the default setting with and without the USB installed and each time I either get the ReInstall box or the message to say there is no disk.

You have lost me with Kyhi's recovery drive. What is that?

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  13. Jeff o Win User

I clicked on the link you sent re bootable flash drive and then on the download but am not really sure what I am doing as the language was looked like Latvian. I clicked on WinPESE_x64 201601....iso925 MB but I don't know if this is correct?
    I do have a copy of HIREN'S BOOT that I have never used and don't know if it would help. I might try it to see what happen's. At this stage of the debacle I am willing to try anything!

I am off on vacation in day's time and would like to get going well before then.

I have tried Booting from Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 to get this

I clicked on SmartBoot Manager but not much happened. I don't think it was OK for W10.

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
  14. Marko1401 Win User
    What I would do is scan everything for malware. Copy all files I need onto a USB and do a clean reinstall of win 10. I think someone can provide a direct download link somewhere and just format/reinstall

Marko1401, Jun 13, 2016
  15. Jeff o Win User
    I downloaded the WinPESE_x64 201601....iso file and burnt it to a disc, put the disc in my PC and although the disc ran it did nothing at all. Just hung there running!

Jeff o, Jun 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Access denied to C: drive serious issues - Similar Threads - Access denied drive

2. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  3. C drive access denied error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C drive access denied error: Windows 11 : I logged in windows 11 and changed the authenticated users settings for c drive to all access deny read , write ,etc all deny and now unable to open C drive . Also unable to change security settings of c drive to regain access.Actually I wanted my kids profile...
  4. c:\ is not accessible.......Access is denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    c:\ is not accessible.......Access is denied: Windows 10 c:\ is not accessible.......Access is deniedJust recently I have started to have this problem when trying to access c::Computer runs fine , but, also programs cant update because of this.I have tried all the suggestions on here and for c:: properties\ security and...
  5. C:\ drive access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\ drive access denied: I can't open the C:\ drive, this is after auto repair of the laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-access-denied/e50b6564-56dd-40d6-934c-3a5a1e394e3a
  6. My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My C drive is not accessible - Access is Denied: My little brother was on my PC, and I guess he fucked around with my administrator settings, now I can't access my c drive. I tried to make another account, didn't work. I would try to open something like a task manager, and it would say windows couldn't access it. If I tried...
  7. Access to C drive is denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to C drive is denied: Access to C drive is denied, Cannot take ownership, right clicking on it freezes the laptop for 15 sec and access denied message pops up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-c-drive-is-denied/e8ce725f-eb6a-4dd6-b9e9-b3871e097ae2
  8. Access to Drive C: denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Drive C: denied: I run Windows 10 and seem to have mistakenly changed some security settings which has resulted in me being denied access to drive C unable to run programs such as MS office apps. Oddly, there are some programs that still works though. After trying most of what I have found...
  9. Access local C: drive denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access local C: drive denied: Can;t acces my local C Drive says I'm restricted https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-local-c-drive-denied/3ba21f71-5a38-4c55-8a1c-29f7db858c52
  10. C drive access denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    C drive access denied: I was trying to keep my 120 gig ssd drive just for windows. I have a 1 terabyte hard drive for the rest. In the process I locked myself out. Anything I try to do I get access denied. I still have admin rights, but its worthless. I cant even trouble shoot. Ive tried 4...