Windows 10: Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app

Discus and support Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I accidentally removed the files in the Downloads folder using the Windows 10 app (NOT manually deleting the folder in File Explorer). The info was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MadGlad, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MadGlad Win User

Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app

I accidentally removed the files in the Downloads folder using the Windows 10 app (NOT manually deleting the folder in File Explorer). The info was vague to me and I thought it was going to delete temporarily downloaded files. There are very important files in the Download folder, such as e-mail attachments. How can I recover all the files?

:)

MadGlad, Mar 12, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Mar 12, 2019
  4. ALN
    ALN Win User

How to remove folders from File History

That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?

Thema:

1. Accidentally Removed Files from Downloads folder using Windows File Removal app - Similar Threads - Accidentally Removed Files

2. cannot remove files or folders in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot remove files or folders in use: hi,There is a folder Intel with a file in it. When I tried to delete it, it will not let me, because it is in use by another program. It worked by going to safe mode. Yet, when I go back to normal mode, the folder with the file is back. It is open in dwm.exe. What can I do?...
  3. cannot remove files or folders in use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot remove files or folders in use: hi,There is a folder Intel with a file in it. When I tried to delete it, it will not let me, because it is in use by another program. It worked by going to safe mode. Yet, when I go back to normal mode, the folder with the file is back. It is open in dwm.exe. What can I do?...
  4. Accidentally "removed" an already uninstalled file from apps & features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally "removed" an already uninstalled file from apps & features: Hello,Long story short, my cousin once installed a game on my computer that then I deleted, it was taking up 40GB, but even after I uninstalled it those 40GB were still there, then I checked apps & features, I wasn't able to uninstall it there because it said it was already...
  5. Accidentally "removed" an already uninstalled file from apps & features

Accidentally "removed" an already uninstalled file from apps & features: Hello,Long story short, my cousin once installed a game on my computer that then I deleted, it was taking up 40GB, but even after I uninstalled it those 40GB were still there, then I checked apps & features, I wasn't able to uninstall it there because it said it was already...
  6. Accidentally "removed" an already uninstalled file from apps & features

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Files removed from a specific Windows folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files removed from a specific Windows folder: earlier there were folders which had my some personal secret stuff but now see what happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-removed-from-a-specific-windows-folder/3d676e6c-a36b-48a4-85ca-09205cc78ed2
  8. Accidental App removal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Accidental App removal: I was downloading a video editing software, I removed it because I changed my mind and felt like downloading another one, when I close out of chrome I see the startup window of the video editing software I installed last time and had the wordsWELCOME and there were two...
  9. Remove file from Statup Folder

Remove file from Statup Folder: I wanted to add a programme to the startup folder. I made a shortcut in the programme folder (x86) ready to place in the startup folder. So I had the programme folder open in File Explorer and ran shell:startup to get the folder alongside it. I was going to drag the shortcut...
  10. removing files from the download folder...

in Windows 10 Support
    removing files from the download folder...: I have 2 separate folders for downloads - This PC/downloads and C:/Users/username/downloads. The content seems to be the same - programs, updates, fonts etc. Today I ran AdvancedSystem Care (I know a lot you you are totally against this program!!), and it found more than 3...