Windows 10: Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10

Discus and support Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Folders to be Backed Up by File History in Windows 10 File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lx07, Jul 24, 2017.

1. lx07 Win User

Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10

How to: Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10

How to Add or Remove Folders to be Backed Up by File History in Windows 10

File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10.

You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location you select to save to. You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network. You can add, remove, and exclude folders to be backed up by File History.

The default folders in your "C:\Users\(user name)" profile folder are added by default to be backed up by File History.

Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove folders to be backed up by File History for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add Folders to be Backed Up by File History
    • Option Two: To Remove Folders from being Backed Up by File History

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add Folders to be Backed Up by File History
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the More options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Scroll down to the Back up these folders section, and click/tap on Add a folder. (see screenshot below)

4. Browse to and select a drive, folder, or library you want to back up, and click/tap on Choose this folder. (see screenshot below)

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 above if you want to add any other folders to be backed up.

6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Remove Folders from being Backed Up by File History
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Update & security icon.

2. Click/tap on Backup on the left side, and click/tap on the More options on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Scroll down to the Back up these folders section, and click/tap on an added folder you want to remove. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Remove. (see screenshot below)

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 above if you want to remove any other folders from being backed up.

6. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Which directories does File History backup?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

File History backup.

Please be informed file History will be set to back up back up important folders in your user account’s home folder. This includes the Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos folders. It also includes the Roaming folder where many programs
    store application data, your OneDrive folder, and other folders.

You can check the full list of folders in this window, and add more folders. Select “Add a folder” and you’ll be able to choose any folder on your computer to back up. You can also select a folder here and use the “Remove” button to prevent Windows from
    backing it up.

By default, Windows 10's File History will back up all the folders in your User folder. To add other folders to File History, or to remove some, click on
    More options under the on/off slider and scroll down to "Back up these folders."

File History via the Settings app makes it easy to add/remove folders from your back-up list.

Refer the link for more information.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-back-up-your-files

Hope this helps, let us know the if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jul 24, 2017
  3. Unable to remove folders from File History backups

As I understand it, all folders within libraries must be present in File History backups, the same was true in Windows 8.1. Windows 10 does however allow you to include additional folders within File History backups without having to add them to libraries,
    which is an improvement over Windows 8.1.

I'm sure that some people will want to be able to exclude folders within libraries from File History backups, but it was not designed that way. I'm just glad that MS seems to have fixed it now so that I can now remove all non-library folders from C:\Users\Donny
    from File History backups.

Donny Murgatroyd, Jul 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

File History will eventually be replaced by the new "Timeline" feature in Windows 10.

Microsoft disabled File History in build 16215 to get ready to add "Timeline" in the next build, but "Timeline" wasn't ready, so Microsoft enabled File History again in build 16226.

Brink, Jul 24, 2017
  5. DaaBoss Win User
    File History CAN be made to WORK PROPERLY, but with some difficulty, at least with W-10 v-1709 Build 16299.248.

Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to NOT bother telling any users with the new creator's version, *Mad but instead just quietly changed two things (at least) in file history:

• DISABLED the task scheduler for file history, which ensures it won't save ANY MORE data whatsoever (see work-around below).
    • REMOVED the ability to ADD folders to file history (through their UI).
    To FIX this : *Thumbs

• MANUALLY invoke "Run Now" from the File History UI WHILE connected to your backup
    • RE-enable (or recreate) task manager to invoke "Run Now"
      • *Warning Make sure you have some type of ERROR DETECTION so when Microsoft decides to quietly just break it again, you will know about it.
    • ADD folders, by merely Creating a NEW LIBRARY for that folder, using right click in Explorer. Make sure you check "show libraries" in folders view, and then look to see if Windows did add it.
      • *Warning Make sure you look to see exactly what is included: For instance, if you include: C:\Users\CURRENT-USER\ it will work, until it fills that new 10 TB drive you thought would never run out of space.
    RANT: *Banghead (Since many folks were RELYING on File History to protect their files, Microsoft is now among those that seemingly don't care to protect my stuff, when they easily could have, or at least warned anyone that (obviously to my Windows installation) was DEPENDING on and STILL USING it. As an absurd example, reminds me of someone calling "their fire dept.", only to learn that the number is now DISCONNECTED, since the county just turned over fire control to the city!)

Forcing changes in backups might be fine, especially if made better. But not migrating backups for current users AUTOMATICALLY is unacceptable, when it is technically possible. Certainly not informing users how to migrate easily and quickly, and that they MUST CHANGE NOW or they lose data is the minimum they must do.

DaaBoss, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Add or Remove Folders for File History in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Remove Folders

2. Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11: I would like to use File History in Windows 11. But I notice that it can only backup folders in Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites. However, I also want to backup folders in D drive. Is there any way to add those folders?...
  3. Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add More Folders to File History in Windows 11: I would like to use File History in Windows 11. But I notice that it can only backup folders in Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites. However, I also want to backup folders in D drive. Is there any way to add those folders?...
  4. Windows 10 File History/Backup, removed user defined folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File History/Backup, removed user defined folder: Hi. I do not exclusively use the 'users' folder, but instead, store documents in a custom folder. A while back, I had setup Windows File History/Backup options to backup this entire folder, which worked great. I have come to rely on Windows keeping backup copies of my files....
  5. Windows 10 File History/Backup, removed user defined folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History/Backup, removed user defined folder: Hi. I do not exclusively use the 'users' folder, but instead, store documents in a custom folder. A while back, I had setup Windows File History/Backup options to backup this entire folder, which worked great. I have come to rely on Windows keeping backup copies of my files....
  6. Can't add folder to File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't add folder to File History: I'm in Backup options of File History 1. Press + Add folder 2. Choose a folder with Google Drive on disk J 3. Nothing happens - no errors, no logs, just nothing This problem in Feedback Hub https://aka.ms/AA8mqq8 Should I search for another backup solution on Windows 10?...
  7. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  8. How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup: I don't need a complete backup of my hard drive...just specific files, etc. - like my Documents, Pictures, etc....any way to do this with the "File History" backup option?...
  9. How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?

How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?: I can't backup any specific folders in my Documents folder unless the Documents folder itself is backed up. Otherwise trying to add them does nothing. Adding the Documents folder to the backup list causes my other folders to appear on the list. Why is this? Am I expected to...
  10. How to remove folders from File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to remove folders from File History: Running out of space on my external drive where I keep File History. So I want to delete a very large folder (Pictures) from History since I have it backed up another way. I removed the folder from File History Backup Options (Settings>Update & Security>Backup>More...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 File History 0x80070032 NTFS folder

2. unable to add folders to windows 10 backup error 0x80070032