Windows 10: Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change

Discus and support Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, Yesterday I received new motherboard. My current Windows 10 Pro is w/digital license linked to MS account. I am one of the participants of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NenadLazic, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change

Hi,

Yesterday I received new motherboard.

My current Windows 10 Pro is w/digital license linked to MS account.

I am one of the participants of the Windows Insider Program.

My question is, because I need to reinstall my Windows complete and to prepare for my work, do I need to call support again like 2 years ago to activate remote by live assistant or I can activate it via troubleshooting after installation how's explained in reactivating Windows 10 after h/w change w/digital license on the MS account link provided?

Do I need to connect to my Windows Account before motherboard change or afterwards to erase information of this PC I am currently using, to avoid being 2 copies of Windows w/license?

I just don't wanna stuck with some unnecessary steps, or to miss some.

Or should I just contact MS Support like before?

:)

NenadLazic, Dec 24, 2019

2. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change [​IMG]

MCardona81, Dec 24, 2019
  3. Bree Win User
    OEM install errored, MS account activated

First and foremost, the digital license is linked to the unique hardware ID of the PC. It is this that is stored on the Microsoft activation servers and linked to your digital license, The link to your MS account is an additional optional extra, but is not required. It is the hardware ID (mostly the motherboard) that is used to check you are licensed. The additional link to an MS account can help reactivate should your hardware ID change (eg, replacing the motherboard).

You could switch from using an MS account to a local account. But as this is a new box it is probably simplest to clean install again, this time setting it up with an offline local account from the start. See Step 24 in the Clean Install tutorial. You can skip entering a key as it will activate from your existing digital license on the activation servers.

Clean Install Windows 10

Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

4. guniu Win User

Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Hey, I have a question.
    Do you think the digital license is saved on my MSA after i changed back to my local account?

What I mean by that:
    I Added MSA to my Windows 10 and it said in Activation tab "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account", and my PC was in device list of my MSA.
    But I don't like the fact that I have to type in password every time I boot up. It's my private PC, I don't need password, I never had. So I switched back to my Local account. But now it's back to "Windows is activated with a digital license" only, and the PC is also gone from the device list on my MSA account.
    Do you think it actually unlinked the license, or maybe because I logged in once, it saved anyway, and I will be good with activating in the future on a changed machine?

guniu, Dec 24, 2019
Thema:

Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change

1. Activation w/digital license linked to MS Account after motherboard change - Similar Threads - Activation digital license

2. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  3. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  4. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account: Hey people, I'm hoping someone can help me out as I can't contact the MS customer service as they are closed for the weekend and I'm stuck setting up a new computer. I find it very difficult to find the correct information through google and I'm losing oversight. My brain is...
  6. Multiple MS Accounts; Digital License; Changing Hardware; Windows Activation

Multiple MS Accounts; Digital License; Changing Hardware; Windows Activation: I have Windows 10 Home digitally linked to a MS account. That appears to be an account to which Windows 10 Home is linked. We can no longer access this account because it is very old, we forgot the password, and MS password recovery is too tedious, requiring multiple circular...
  7. Not able to activate Win10 after Motherboard replacement, no digital license linked to my...

Not able to activate Win10 after Motherboard replacement, no digital license linked to my...: I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate purchased software during the free upgrade period. I did not have presence of mind to link the digital license code to my MS account (seldom used nuisance). Recently I was forced to replace the Motherboard of my PC due to hardware failure. I am...
  8. "unable to activate Windows" with digital license linked to account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "unable to activate Windows" with digital license linked to account: Hi! So I recently changed hardware (new motherboard, processor and RAM) and had to reinstall Windows. Before resetting I linked my digital license to my Microsoft account so I could reactivate it after the reset. So I reset my PC, log in and try the activation...
  9. Changing the email account that has the digital license linked to it

Changing the email account that has the digital license linked to it: Hello, I have a windows 10 license that is linked to an email address (yahoo) that I don't want to use anymore. I have created a new email address (outlook.com) but I want to move the digital license to the new email. How can I do this? I'm doing because I want to...
  10. Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.

Invalid Digital License after motherboard change.: Hello Community. I've recently experienced various PC issues with a previous Rig of mine and decided to put together a new and moved my Hard Drive over to the new motherboard. After further troubleshooting, BSODs, and Resetting the PC out of frustration to get a clean...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i replaced motherboard with oem that is connected linked to microsoft account

2. can i replace mobo oem if my windows is linked to my microsoft account