Windows 10: Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Switch to Local Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Switch to Local Account in Windows 10 How to Switch to a Local Account from a Microsoft Account in Windows 10 You can sign in to Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by niksus, Jul 31, 2015.

1. niksus Win User

Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

How to: Switch to Local Account in Windows 10

How to Switch to a Local Account from a Microsoft Account in Windows 10

You can sign in to Windows 10 with a local account or a Microsoft account. However, you can easily switch between using a local account or a Microsoft account to sign in to Windows 10.

See also: Switch your Windows 10 device to a local account | Microsoft Support

This tutorial will show you how to switch to sign in to Windows 10 with a local account instead of a Microsoft account.

Switch to Local Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note Microsoft account vs Local account

Local account
    A local account is a user name and password that you use to sign in to only a single Windows PC. This is the same type of user account that was used in Vista and Windows 7.

See also: Local Accounts (Windows 10)
    • You have to create a user name and account for each PC you use.
    • While not recommended, you can remove the password if you like
    • You'll need a Microsoft account to download apps from the Store, but you can set it up later.
    • Your settings won't be synced across the PCs that you use.
    Microsoft account
    A Microsoft account is an email address and password that you can use to sign in to Microsoft services and all Windows 8/10 PCs and devices.

See also: Microsoft Accounts (Windows 10)

Some benefits:
    • Free.
    • Password cannot be removed since it is required, but you can change the password.
    • Access, save, share, and sync all of your documents, music, photos, and videos from OneDrive (aka: the cloud) on all PCs and devices that you sign in with the same Microsoft account.
    • Download, install, and restore apps from the Windows Store.
    • Get your online content in Microsoft apps automatically.
    • Sync your personal settings across all PCs and devices that you sign in to with the same Microsoft account.
    • Two-step verification to verify your identity whenever you sign in to your Microsoft account.
    • You can set limits for how and when your child uses their Microsoft account. Monitoring their activity so you teach them online safety skills.
    • Jot down a note in OneNote. Next time you sign in to a device (doesn’t even have to be the same one) you'll be right back to where you left off, no matter where you were, or the device used last time.
    • Your Microsoft account keeps track of your Xbox Music Pass collection and playlists, syncing across your tablet, PC, phone, and your Xbox console.
    • Use your Windows Phone as a controller for your Xbox console when you're signed in with the same Microsoft account.
    • You can Activation troubleshooter if you make a hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Your info on the left side, click/tap on the Sign in with a local account instead link on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Next to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. Enter credentials for your Microsoft account to verify. (see screenshot below)

5. Type in a user name, password, and password hint you want for your local account, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

*note You will not be able to use a user name that has already been used by an existing user profile.

You can leave the password fields empty if you do not want a password for the local account. It is recommended to password protect your local account to help keep it more secure.

If you like, you can add security questions for your local account later to provide an extra layer of protection.

6. When ready to switch, click/tap on Sign out and finish. (see screenshot below)

7. You can now sign in with this local account. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

niksus, Jul 31, 2015

2. Problems with installing programs

If you want to use the same Microsoft Account then make the one that uses it to Local and then change the Local to that Microsoft Account.

How to Switch to a Local Account from a Microsoft Account in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5374-switch...

Then logout of the above and :

How to Switch to a Microsoft Account from a Local Account in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5375-switch...

SpiritX MS MVP, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Uable to switch to local account in windows 10.

Hi Saikat,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Have you logged in to the Windows 10 as an administrator?

• How many user accounts do you have on the computer?

• Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
    I suggest you to run the Microsoft account troubleshooter and check if it helps to fix the issue.
    Download and run the Microsoft account troubleshooter through the below link.

Microsoft Account Troubleshooter

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello niksus, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Could be a glitch from the upgrade. If you like, you could add a new local account, and delete this one when finished copying over what you like to the new account.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  5. niksus Win User
    Yeah, you're right - I can create new local account. But I prefer to dig some more first *Smile
    The "User account" tutorial starts from "Family & other users". It is only "Other users" in my screenshot.
    Something weird is happening for sure.

niksus, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    What build do you have installed, or are you using retail?

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  7. niksus Win User
    Windows 10 Pro x64 v.10.0.10240, from Windows Update.

niksus, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It should say Family & other users then.

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  9. niksus Win User

niksus, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Is this from the preview builds, or did you upgrade to the free offer?

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  11. niksus Win User
    I just installed it yesterday from the free offer.
    The upgrade was failing in the Windows Update log, so I had to apply "AllowOSUpgrade" registry key. And then I forced the upgrade.

niksus, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'd say some sort of glitch during the upgrade. A clean install would give you the best results. *Sad

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  13. dencal Win User

Brink, please can you advise me on the following.

On the same computer I have W10 and W10 Preview on separate SSD.s , hot swapping to keep them separate. both on the same M$ Account.

W10 works perfectly with a password, but Preview is corrupt as source file cannot be found, will not open Metro tiles.

Have performed a refresh, and a clean install using the Media creation tool ISO, but the problem remains.
    How can I repair the corrupt Preview version?

Is it perhaps using both versions on the same computer that M$ recognise that they both use the same motherboard?.

If I created a Preview Local Account would it solve the problem?

dencal, Aug 1, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Dencal,

When you say "Preview opens using numbers", do you mean that you have to sign in with a PIN?

If so, you could remove the PIN, or click on the Sign in options link on the sign in screen to select to sign in with a password instead.

Brink, Aug 1, 2015
  15. dencal Win User
    Hi Brink.

Thank you for the prompt response.
    It was M$ which suggested changing the Preview signing on from password to pin, probably because they are both synced on the same account.
    What I am trying to do is obtain an uncorrupted Preview, perhaps by loading on another account, either M$ or local, but is it possible on the same computer?...Refer to my previous post....ie- same motherboard with two separate W10,s.

dencal, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Switch to Local Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Switch Local Account

2. Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10: Recently I had signed out of my Microsoft account on my computer and switched it to a Local Account, I am currently trying to sign in however, when it prompts me to "sign into this computer using your Microsoft account" it tells me "the password you entered for your device is...
  3. Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Switching from Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10: Recently I had signed out of my Microsoft account on my computer and switched it to a Local Account, I am currently trying to sign in however, when it prompts me to "sign into this computer using your Microsoft account" it tells me "the password you entered for your device is...
  4. Can't switch to Local account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't switch to Local account in Windows 10: There is no button in settings to change my current MS account to Local account. I can only manage my MS account with redirecting to account.microsoft.comi already restore my system and it dont work...
  5. Can't switch to Local account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't switch to Local account in Windows 10: There is no button in settings to change my current MS account to Local account. I can only manage my MS account with redirecting to account.microsoft.comi already restore my system and it dont work...
  6. Can't switch to Local account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Switch to local account missing Windows 10

Switch to local account missing Windows 10: I want to switch to local account but the option is missing on windows 10 settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-to-local-account-missing-windows-10/f9a4adae-8a9b-4eae-b222-4cf9082f0bb2
  8. Switch to a Local Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Switch to a Local Account: I am trying to set up a local account after I have a Microsoft account set up. But it appears there is no option to add a local user when I go through the Settings, Your Account section. Why is this?...
  9. Switch to local account or reinstall with local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Switch to local account or reinstall with local account: Hello. So i am new to Win 10, and recently did a Windows 10 Home edition test install on a separate harddrive (using Win 7 atm). I installed using the Microsoft account method, as i thought this was the only option. I recently found out that it is possible to install Win 10...
  10. Switching to a local account

Switching to a local account: When I switch to a different account it says, "Switch to a local account". Can the account I’m switching to be accessed by anyone in my area?...