Windows 10: Add local user account to family account

Discus and support Add local user account to family account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I want to add my son’s local account to Family account. He has already created his Microsoft account on his computer and I want to add it to the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Matt Guzman, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Add local user account to family account

I want to add my son’s local account to Family account. He has already created his Microsoft account on his computer and I want to add it to the Family. I changed my administrative account to the adult account but cannot change his account because I receive a message that someone else is using the family email address

:)

Matt Guzman, Dec 3, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

It was faster as I expected, the test confirmed my theory was right. Doing this your kid has absolutely no way to switch to a local account and leave the MS Family:

1.) Start as told earlier, creating the Child account as a Family account
    2.) Sign the Child once in to Windows, sign out and back in to your admin account
    3.) Press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type netplwiz and hit Enter to launch the advanced user control panel
    4.) Select the Child account, click Properties:

Add local user account to family account [​IMG]

5.) Change the Child account's user group from Users to Guests:

Add local user account to family account [​IMG]

6.) Close the Properties, close advanced user control panel

That's it. Users in Guest group cannot open and use the Settings app, therefore they cannot change the account type (switch to a local account).

Pros:
    • User cannot change any settings, not even open the Settings app
    • User can still download and install desktop software but when doing so, the PC admin credentials will be asked
    Cons:
    • To change any settings, an admin user must first change the Child's usergroup back to Users, sign in to Child account, change the required setting, sign out from the Child account, and finally set the user back to Guests group
    • To download and install anything from the Windows Store, an admin user must first change the Child's usergroup back to Users, sign in to Child account, download and install software from the Windows Store, sign out from the Child account, and finally set the user back to Guests group
    • OneDrive Desktop sync does not work on Guest accounts. To download, open or upload files in Onedrive the user must use a browser

Kari, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Convert Local User Account to Family Account

Hi,

Sorry for the previous suggestion provided by Ratandeep. I checked in few Windows 10 computer. The troubleshooter is not designed to run in Windows 10.

I like to inform you that you cannot Convert Local User Account to Family Account because you need Microsoft account to control your child account. Without Microsoft account you cannot set permission needed for your child account.

I would suggest you to provide the feedback on this using feedback app.

Hope this information helps,

Rajeshwari_Patil, Dec 3, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Add local user account to family account

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

What you describe should be impossible. To test this I just now created a child account on my PC and signing in to it tried to change it to either an admin account or a local account. Could not do that.

The only way your son can change his account to a local account and "remove" it from Family, or create a new account is to have access to an admin account on that same PC (your account), or alternatively access to your admin MS account's Family settings online. For that he needs both your MS account username and password. It means that if you protect your own personal admin account (MS account) with a strong password and especially the Two-Step Verification, he has no way to access that account and he should not be able / is not able to change your Family settings or his account status.

Kari, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Add local user account to family account

1. Add local user account to family account - Similar Threads - Add local user

2. Include local account in Family Safety?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Include local account in Family Safety?: My kid uses a local account on a Windows 10 laptop. How do I include that account in Family Safety? Or is there a way to move all of his settings and data from the local account to a Microsoft account?...
  3. A tutorial on how to add a local user account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    A tutorial on how to add a local user account in Windows 10: 1. On your computer, go to Start and then Settings 2. Select Accounts 3. Select Family & other users. 4. Click on Add someone else to this PC....
  4. Local User Account

Local User Account: Hi, I have a problem that I cant delete my other local user account, already perform Setting > Account > Family and other user > remove account But still the user appear, appreciate for the help, thanks...
  5. local user account

local user account: how do I access the one that I created https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-user-account/ee6a2922-2dfb-4e0b-9944-70cfa2a5be8d
  6. Convert Local User Account to Family Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Convert Local User Account to Family Account: My son has a local account on his Windows 10 Pro computer with all sorts of customizations that he likes in place. I need to convert that account to a CHILD family account. I was able to change my administrative account to my ADULT family account but when I try to do the...
  7. Add new user (local account) - Use my profile?

Add new user (local account) - Use my profile?: Greetings all, I'm on Spotify, most of you probably know about it - It's like Pandora, iHeart Radio, and many more services that play thousands of songs on your mobile device. But there is an option to install it on your PC as well. I went to do the PC install, and...
  8. User account and family issues

User account and family issues: This is happening loads on my new laptop. Family settings down and Cortana summary screen just spinning. Is this an MS side issue as the machine is doing this more often than not. Sometimes everything is fine but I just don't understand it really. Yesterday evening everything...
  9. Creation of a local account as a family member

Creation of a local account as a family member: Hi How do I create a local account, as a family member? Thanks Bye 22792
  10. Family members user accounts

Family members user accounts: For some reason the native photos app has got broken on my wife and sons user accounts (both standard accounts). I cannot fix it. On my own administrator account it works fine. There was a recent photos app update which I think is what screwed it up! Anyway I tested creating...