Windows 10: Added a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it

Discus and support Added a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I am trying to Create a Name for a new Partition on WD (E:) and I have got it wrong*Sad I used MS Shrink to Shrink to half of 931 GBs I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dasha, May 17, 2019.

1. Dasha Win User

Added a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it

Hello I am trying to Create a Name for a new Partition on WD (EAdded a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it :) and I have got it wrong*Sad I used MS Shrink to Shrink to half of 931 GBs
    I had 953835 MBs
    Available to shrink -- 630615
    after shrink 323220
    Drive (EAdded a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it :) DISC- 01 615.840 GB
    I want to Back up all of My Apps Music files Photos ETC before I begin
    I also wondered would it be easier to Download a ISO to Load does that Picture Capture everything on drive C or is a USB as Good Thank you for any help you can give

:)

Dasha, May 17, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 17, 2019
  3. Memo Pad Win User
    Adding a Partition to Storage Space in Windows 10

Hi,

I have an HP Envy 750-287c with i7-6700U, 16G RAM, and 2x1TB HDD's. My PC originally had 1TB WD Blue HDD but I'm at 75% capacity. I decided to add a 2nd WD Blue HDD and create a storage space on the 2nd drive. I moved all of my files to this new "drive"
    created via storage space. I partitioned the boot drive (1TB) to added the unused space to my storage space but the Storage Space GUI doesn't recognize the new partitioned drive. Can we NOT added a partitioned drive to a storage space? Microsoft doesn't
    do a good job addressing this and i haven't seen a good response in any of the forums.

Memo Pad, May 17, 2019
  4. Tony K Win User

Redoing my system

This is a thread for me to communicate with Kari and other members as I redo my system so as not to disrupt the tutorials. I find this more convenient and more open than PMs also. Any help or suggestions in performing my redo will be welcome. If any questions, please ask.

I have been and will be using some of Kari's and others' tutorials as listed below. I have my Acer system and/or laptop here for communications, USBs made, and my procedure list in front of me. This is on my dual-boot Asus tower as listed in my specs. Somewhat tricky on a 120GB SSD along with a 2TB internal secondary spinner for personal files and backups.

While planning, I read some basics in scripting by Kari.

PowerShell Scripting - The Basics General Tips Tutorials

System Setup Procedure

Make backup image

Create System Image in Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

Backup everything individually:
    Documents
    Pictures
    Videos
    Edge Favorites: C:\Users\MyAccount\MicrosoftEdgeBackups\backups\MicrosoftEdgeBackup > .html file
    IE Favorites: C:\Users\MyAccount\Favorites
    Passwords
    Email addresses
    Have ability to have access to paid programs and/or games to reinstall
    Any software keys

Set UEFI to default

Make ISO(s):
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 1 > Preparations - Create USB install media
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Prepare drive:
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 2 > Preparations - Create DISKPART Script > Use Script One

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 3: Boot from USB

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 4: Run DISKPART script

Turn on printer and insert backup thumb drive.

Install on primary partition:
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 5: Install Primary OS

Perform steps below.

Install on secondary partition:

Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build
    Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Or

DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk > Step 6: Install Secondary OS

After install of each partition system:

A) Install any peripheral drivers and monitoring software of collection in D:/Asus Setup folder.
    B) Change saving files to secondary D: drive in Settings app > System > Storage > Change where new content is saved.
    C) Set up OneDrive in its settings. Make sure to have latest version.
    D) Install UWP apps (from Store library), Office 365, and other software.
    E) Perform Disk Cleanup.
    F) Turn BitLocker on.
    G) Optimize D: drive
    H) On install of Insider fast ring perform Registry hack to enter Skip Ahead branch.
    I) Make backup image.

Tony K, May 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Added a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it - Similar Threads - Added Partition HDD

2. Do I need to cool this WD HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Do I need to cool this WD HDD?: I have 2 drives inside my desktop tower PC. A 512GB 850 Pro Samsung SSD and a WD Black 12TB spinning drive. Typical temperatures are ~43C for the SSD, 50-52C for the WD. I see the WD specs say operating range of 5-55; so mine is at the upper end of this range. I'm not seeing...
  3. Wd 3t hdd???

Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  4. Wd 3t hdd???

in Windows 10 Support
    Wd 3t hdd???: I found an old 3T WD SATA Drive in my closet - WD 30EZRX (on the label) I tried to format it and it says its only 2T. What gives? 170717
  5. Can't install apps on newly partitioned HDD

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't install apps on newly partitioned HDD: So I got my pc about 3 months ago for school and there were a number of applications they suggested we download. I have a 220 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. As expected, I quickly started to run out of space on my SSD where my bootup files were stored along with most my other data. I...
  6. WD HDD Not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD HDD Not responding: Hey, Am facing a big problem with my hard disk, for the past days it has been working well until yesterday when I wanted to transfer some movies from another computer to mine, it copied the movies and stopped in the middle and got stuck. Now since yesterday 02/07/2020 every...
  7. HDD & Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD & Partition: Hello, I have two internal HDD on my PC. So can I combine two HDD to one partition ? Can I know Pros and Cons of combining like this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdd-partition/10ea9c37-41dd-47cd-ac5e-2541c2ebb4ed
  8. Added a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it

Added a Partition WD EX HDD I can't redo it: Hello I am trying to Create a Name for a new Partition on WD (E:) and I have got it wrong*Sad I used MS Shrink to Shrink to half of 931 GBs I had 953835 MBs Available to shrink -- 630615 after shrink 323220 Drive (E:) DISC- 01 615.840 GB I want to Back up all of My Apps...
  9. Cannot format WD 1TB HDD

Cannot format WD 1TB HDD: I bought a new WD 1TB HDD and was running install/format when I had a power outage. When power came back I could not format this drive. The drive shows in Device Manager but fails format there and every where I have tried. I used UBDC and have not been able to format in...
  10. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...