Windows 10: Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build

Discus and support Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Yet again another great tutorial, @ Kari. Very professional. *Smile Just in the nick of time. I'm about to redo my system today as we discussed. 96555 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Tony K, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Tony K Win User

Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build

Yet again another great tutorial, @ Kari. Very professional. *Smile

Just in the nick of time. I'm about to redo my system today as we discussed.

:)

Tony K, Oct 26, 2017
  2. G.Ilex Win User

regarding language pack installation

Are you running a fast ring insider build?

Then read the release notes as this is a known issue with the latest fast ring insider build.

G.Ilex, Oct 26, 2017
  3. What is the latest windows insider fast ring build for Lumia 535?

What is the latest windows insider fast ring build for Lumia 535? I am on the insider fast ring on my lumia 535 dual sim. The OS build is 10586.107 and checking for updates shows 'Your device is up to date'. Even the official release of windows 10 is build
    10586.164 why I am not able to get further updates in fast ring? In the insiders blog it shows for fast ring build
    14291 is available, but I am not able to update to it. Why?

GopakumarN G, Oct 26, 2017
  4. Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build

Great tutorial!

But is this really what MS calls a supported method of clean install? I would rather call it a clean upgrade. *Wink

slicendice, Oct 26, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    What the tutorial shows is how to clean install Windows 10 which when booted to desktop first time after installation is in last Fast Ring Insider build.

If they can say that a reset equals clean install, you can for sure call this method a clean install, too.

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date[/quote]

6. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - that seems more appropriate.

I guess it's main plus over simply upgrading is that it does not create a windows.old folder?

I must admit that I am struggling to see when I personally would actually ever use this except when the uup to iso method (and/or subsequent unofficial clean install) or a conventional upgrade failed.

cereberus, Oct 26, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Oct 26, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

No, this method creates Windows.old.

The main benefit / purpose is that you get the upgrade even before Windows has finalized the setup and user accounts created. It is as pure Fast Ring Insider build as possible, and upgrade does not fail because underlying base is as clean Windows as possible.

9. cereberus Win User
    Ok - then it really is a clean upgrade by our normal definition of an upgrade. We can call it whatever we like, but it is not a clean install by our normal definition.

Still this is just verbal semantics - the main point is (as you say), it makes the upgrade more reliable. It does no matter how we get from A to B provided we get there.

cereberus, Oct 26, 2017
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    If you cut to the chase by invoking OOBE whilst in the Defaultuser0 mode, why not just apply the relevant WIM/ESD image with DISM, cutting out the preparatory checks and operations run by Windows Setup to get straight to OOBE? Surely this is an approved methodology for deployment, and lends itself to automation if it (the reset/update) is to be regularly repeated with new insider builds?

Depending on the required configuration - GPT/UEFI or MBR/BIOS, you can make it as elaborate or compact as you like for your chosen hardware and system needs.

Fafhrd, Oct 27, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Where would you get WIM / ESD file?

The starting point, whole idea in this tut is to get as cleanly installed Fast ring build as possible in a way that is supported. When Microsoft's Insider team sees an ISO made from UUP files as a big bad wolf, a big no no, where and how would you get install.wim image to apply? As soon as you make it from UUP files, you are in unsupported territory.

12. Fafhrd Win User
    Fafhrd, Oct 27, 2017
  13. Kari Win User

Those downloads are not Fast Ring builds. They are either last official release, at the moment 1709, or last Slow Ring ISO, at the moment 16299. Applying those images does not give user latest Fast Ring build, at the moment 17025.

Tutorial tells to download one of them to have an officially supported install media to start with (official release or Slow Ring ISO), then use defaultuser0 to upgrade.

I might misunderstand something, but my question remains: where to get the last Fast Ring install.wim to be applied?

14. Yep, that is the real question here. And the answer is: From nowhere

slicendice, Oct 27, 2017
  15. Tony K Win User
    Sheesh! I forgot about this tutorial while redoing my dual boot last night. Although I used a 17017.1000 UUPtoISO on a thumb, created a local account at first, it configured fast ring Insider after changing to MS account, and all went well, but this would've been quicker. I wouldn't have had to spend the time to create the 17017 thumb (with Rufus) and kept the MCT thumb in to install it this way on my second partition.

Also, not a big thing, but when changing to an MS account straightaway, I had a little problem with the naming of my email account. It called it something like WT738 or something like that. I was able to change it ok. Had no problem on primary partition OS. Weird.

I'll have to edit my notes to this. Thinking of redoing my Acer, but it has legacy BIOS. We'll see.

In a Frank Sinatra voice > OOBE dooby doo, in love forever, OOBE dooby doo.... *chuckle

Tony K, Oct 27, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Insider - Clean install latest Fast Ring build - Similar Threads - Insider Clean install

2. Appeared a lot of bugs in the Build 17763 Insider Fast dan Slow Ring

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Appeared a lot of bugs in the Build 17763 Insider Fast dan Slow Ring: I've Updated to build 17763 on September 20, yesterday. But after using build 8 days, a few bugs suddenly appears. Whereas before smoothly without problem. When opening an application in the Start Menu no one wants to open. When opening an application more than 4, and...
  3. Windows 10 Build 17746 now available with fixes for Fast Ring Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 17746 now available with fixes for Fast Ring Insiders: Microsoft today has released another new build this week for Fast Ring Insiders. The latest build with version 17746 is now available for download which comes from the Redstone 5 branch. Microsoft is currently finalizing the development of Redstone 5 and is working on fixing...
  4. Windows 10 Build 17730 now available for Fast Ring Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 17730 now available for Fast Ring Insiders: Earlier in the week Microsoft released a new Windows 10 build 17728 for Fast Ring Insiders. The build came with the introduction of the company’s Your Phone app to the Insiders. The app allows you to interact with your phone from your PC, sending and receiving SMS messages,...
  5. New Windows 10 Build 17672 now available for Fast Ring Insiders

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 Build 17672 now available for Fast Ring Insiders: Microsoft today released a new Windows 10 Insider Build 17672 for Fast Ring Insiders. The latest build comes with some new features from the Redstone 5 development branch. This is the build which is being released by Microsoft after the previous build which was a major one...
  6. Notification Area change with latest Fast Ring build question

in Windows 10 Support
    Notification Area change with latest Fast Ring build question: I updated a W10 OS and I'm seeing something i've never seen before. The Notification Area shows left and right arrows to scroll, and a large blank area in the right corner. This is a W10 Insider Preview fast ring OS, updated to the latest offered. It's a bare metal...
  7. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 PC for Fast ring

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 PC for Fast ring: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Hello Windows Insiders! Today we are excited to release Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16237 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring! Upcoming Bug Bash We’re really excited to do our 2nd (and final) Bug Bash...
  8. Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10134 May Hit Fast Ring Soon

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10134 May Hit Fast Ring Soon: Windows 10 is almost done. At this point, the company is in the fix and release stage, meaning no more big features are expected to make an appearance until after RTM. Windows Insiders in the fast ring recently received build 10130, which included a number of much-needed UI...
  9. New insider fast ring update.

in Windows 10 News
    New insider fast ring update.: And yet another release to the fast ring: Today we are excited to release Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16232 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring! We are also releasing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 15228 to Insiders in the Fast ring. Earlier this...
  10. Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC on Fast ring

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC on Fast ring: Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date Hello Windows Insiders! Today we are excited to be releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14942 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. What’s new in Build 14942 Hide app...