Windows 10: Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished

Discus and support Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I added a second monitor to my WIN10 Home ASUS laptop. My desktop icons have vanished. However, a transparent white blank bar appears at the top of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Saddlesoar, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished

I added a second monitor to my WIN10 Home ASUS laptop.

My desktop icons have vanished. However, a transparent white blank bar appears at the top of my screen when the mouse cursor is moved to the top. If I click on the ghosted bar, the Windows Explorer opens up to the Desktop folder showing that all of my items are still there. But I am unable to place anything on the desktop.

I've tried all the normal fixes. Right click, View, Show Desktop Icons, etc. Nothing has helped. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

:)

Saddlesoar, Dec 27, 2019
  2. davidhk Win User

Desktop Icons vanished

To : DrAS,

Just to elaborate what Berton has told you..........that you are on Tablet Mode.
    If it is what Berton has suggested, you can have your desktop back. Follow steps below................
    Bottom right next to Time, there is a notification icon > click it > click Tablet mode.
    You should have your desktop back.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished [​IMG]

davidhk, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Icons on Desktop appearing off screen after adding a second monitor

Good afternoon!

I added a second monitor to my windows PC in the following configuration (with one monitor being sideways and on the right side of my main monitor)

Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished 896a447d-43a3-4635-9fbd-3be8cfcf03d9?upload=true.png

The monitor labeled '2' is my main monitor and the '1' is my secondary monitor.

The issue I'm facing after this is that all my icons on the main display monitor (2) aren't showing up at all. When I add enough icons to the desktop, I can see some of the icons but other icons are missing - they're all above the main screen - In the following
    screenshot you can see that there are some icons being shown on the desktop but if you see the explorer window, you'll see that there should be more icons here but they're all missing and are above the 'fold' so to speak and aren't displayed.

Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished 0e3df5a2-9ed4-46a0-9e5e-8812a5c985eb?upload=true.png

I've tried changing monitor positions - I've tried setting the vertical monitor as my main monitor, I've tried changing resolutions on the two monitors and none of these seemed to have worked. I'm unable to move my mouse to the space above monitor 2 (or
    to the left of monitor 1).

Is there a way to fix this?

khurramaziz2, Dec 27, 2019
  4. DrAS Win User

Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished

Desktop Icons vanished

Good evening

As of today without my apparent intervention:

1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop)
    2. Taskbar icons have vanished (got them back as right-click works on taskbar)
    3. Cannot minimise window (browser, Outlook etc)

Is this an 'update' or have I carelessly altered something?

Many thanks

Thema:

Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished

1. Added a second monitor and my desktop icons have vanished - Similar Threads - Added second monitor

2. My icons... They vanished!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My icons... They vanished!!!: Hi thereLast month I installed Startup Sound Changer from https://startup-sound-changer.en.softonic.com/ but something happened that I did not expect.My Icons disappeared!You can probably tell by that header what happened, my icons disappeared. There are some pictures...
  3. Is it possible to have desktop notifications on a second monitor?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to have desktop notifications on a second monitor?: When a notification comes into the notification center I don't want the notification to cover any fullscreen app I am running on the main monitor, namely games. But I still want to see it. Is it possible for windows to show notifications on my left or right monitor instead of...
  4. Two monitors and desktop icons load on to second

in Windows 10 Support
    Two monitors and desktop icons load on to second: Please can someone help. When I have monitor 1 on (destop main) and the second monitor (off) but get new icon from installed program. How can I make to icon go on the desktop monitor and not the spare monitor 2 (which is off) when I'm not using it? When I open noepad...it...
  5. desktop icons move to second monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons move to second monitor: Having used a small monitor as a second display for years, I bought a new larger one. Now, every time I try to use 'extend' display all the carefully arranged desktop icons move to totally irrational places on the second screen. It is clear this bug has been around for...
  6. Desktop icons appearing on second monitor

Desktop icons appearing on second monitor: As my title suggests, I am trying to troubleshoot an issue where my desktop icons are appearing on the wrong screen. I have my primary display set correctly in settings however, the icons continue to appear on the wrong monitor. This isn't a huge concern to me, but it is more...
  7. second monitor icons

second monitor icons: recently I have set up a second monitor on my windows desktop. everything is working fine however I would like to know if there is a way to mirror my desktop icons without mirroring the hole screen...
  8. The taskbar icons have vanished!

The taskbar icons have vanished!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/spiritbear1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eiminr/the_taskbar_icons_have_vanished/
  9. icons on taskbar have vanished

icons on taskbar have vanished: Bought this HP laptop about 2 years ago and all was fine until recently, For no reason, suddenly icons for apps like Firefox, Edge, Skype, Mail, Instagram all disappeared. Word, Excell and Outlook icons remained but the rest became invisible or replaced by the app name in...
  10. Desktop Icons vanished

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons vanished: Good evening As of today without my apparent intervention: 1. Desktop icons have vanished (cannot right click on desktop) 2. Taskbar icons have vanished (got them back as right-click works on taskbar) 3. Cannot minimise window (browser, Outlook etc) Is this an...