Windows 10: Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10 Continuum is Microsoft's new way of switching... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by paulsalter, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10

Continuum is Microsoft's new way of switching between tablet and desktop mode on a Windows 10 tablet or convertible PC as needed.

Tablet mode makes Windows easier and more intuitive to use with touch on devices like 2-in-1s, or when you don't want to use a keyboard and mouse.

In tablet mode, Start and apps (including older programs) open full screen, giving you more space to work in. To use two apps side-by-side, drag an app to one side. You'll see where it'll snap, along with any open apps that can snap right next to it. Use the back button on the taskbar to go back in an app or to the previous app you were using. When you're done with an app, drag it to the bottom of the screen to close it.

If your device has a smaller screen, the taskbar will automatically adjust to fit it.

You will see the desktop by default on a typical laptop or desktop.

Tablet mode will be turned on by default on tablets.

On a convertible PC (laptop/tablet hybrid), detaching or attaching the keyboard will prompt you by default to switch in and out of tablet mode.

Starting with snap apps to left and right, replace a previously snapped app with another (teeter) and swipe down to close an app.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off tablet mode to switch between using tablet mode and desktop mode in your user account in Windows 10.

The transparent Show desktop button on the taskbar is not available while tablet mode is on.

Tablet mode does not support multiple displays.

To enable tablet mode on a PC with multiple displays, press the Win+P keys to open Project, and click/tap on PC screen only.

To undo this, press the Win+P keys, and click/tap on Extend.

Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Contents
    • Option One: Set to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Action Center
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Tablet Mode using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] Set to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in in Settings
    1 For how, see: How to Use Tablet Mode or Desktop Mode when you Sign in to Windows 10

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Action Center
    1 Click/tap on the Action Center (Win+A) system icon in the taskbar notification area.

2 At the bottom of the Action Center, click/tap on the Tablet mode button to toggle it on (blue) or off (gray) for what you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Tablet Mode using a REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell

TabletMode DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1 Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2 To Turn On Tablet Mode
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Tablet_Mode.reg

Download

3 To Turn Off Tablet Mode
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Tablet_Mode.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, OK (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 restart the computer to apply.

8 You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

paulsalter, Jan 25, 2015

2. win 10 desktop not appears

Looks like the tablet mode is ON.

Turn it off:

Tablet Mode - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
    If this isn't the case ,a screenshot would be nice.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 25, 2015
  3. George222(2), Jan 25, 2015
  4. Superfly Win User

Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10

Further, I'm confident tablet mode will eventually re-enable charms etc. in future builds...device recognition ability was reported as one of the big things back then.

Superfly, Jan 25, 2015
  5. wardo5757 Win User
    Tablet mode, to me, seems to be a cover for lack of intuitiveness.
    Why have the on-screen keyboard only pop up when in TM? It should pop up whenever input is needed and a keyboard isn't attached.
    Window sizes should be sized by last position only. I hate that I lose that option in TM.

In short, when in tablet mode you gain a proper, intuitive on-screen keyboard but lose the ability to window apps, when in desktop mode you lose an intuitive keyboard and gain the ability to window apps.

Does this make any sense?

wardo5757, Apr 29, 2015
  6. Zardoc Win User
    Anyone fond a way to enable it with with multiple monitors? *092

Zardoc, Jul 31, 2015
  7. No, other than switching to single screen "PC only" mode. Windows Logo Key + P, select "PC Only". Tablet mode is available. Windows Logo key + P "Extend" and its not.

alphanumeric, Aug 1, 2015
  8. HunkyDork Win User

This question is still not answered. I have that problem too on my big PC not on my small one that can also be used as a tablet. On my big PC I tried "tablet mode" out of curiosity. That shows the tiles directly on the desktop when clicking on "start". Now I cannot get rid of that setting. Your solution does work on the small "transformer book" PC. But not on the real big PC.
    Hunky Dork

HunkyDork, Dec 21, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Hunky Dork, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Actually, it's just your Start menu full screen while tablet mode is on instead of tiles on your desktop.

Tablet mode can only be used with one display.

What were you wanting to do?

Brink, Dec 21, 2015
  10. HunkyDork Win User
    No! not at all . When I did fset my PC to "tablet mode" the Start Menu changed and now when I click on "Start" I get tiles over a darkened desktop Instead of the usual Start Menu on the left side of the screen. I want to get back to the "not tablet mode" but I cannot do it as I do it on my tablet PC.

Is it sinking in?

That is why I posted on "Tablet Mode - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 "

• Nice evening to you.

HunkyDork, Dec 22, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yes, I understood what you meant. I was just informing you that when you have tablet mode turned on, you will have a full screen Start instead of the desktop. The full screen Start cannot be turned off while tablet mode is on.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

What do your Tablet Mode settings show when trying to turn it off? Are you getting any error messages?

Please post any screenshots showing any differences you see from the Tablet Mode tutorial here.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...en-forums.html

Brink, Dec 22, 2015
  12. HunkyDork Win User
    Well at last by going to "start fullscreen" I finally got rid of the problem and I think other guys (and galls) will find that interesting as an answer to their problem
    Thank you

HunkyDork, Dec 22, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Dec 22, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Tutorial has been updated to add OPTION THREE. *Smile

Brink, Mar 28, 2016
  15. ch3mn3y Win User
    Today I updated to 14901 (pre-release) and cannot turn off tablet mode...
    Settings are unusable (they disappear after trying to open submenu - however Updates Settings are OK...) and tile or regedit tweak doesn't change anything.

Any other way? Should it work? I still can restore previous build.

ch3mn3y, Aug 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Tablet Mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Tablet

2. Turn off tablet mode on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off tablet mode on windows 11: Hi guys, I simply need to turn off the Tablet mode. I have found that Windows has removed that setting in the switch to Windows 11.. Ok I nice when things are intuative and so... but I simply need a way to switch it off. So many times it happens that I slightly shake with the...
  3. Turn off tablet mode on windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off tablet mode on windows 11: Hi guys, I simply need to turn off the Tablet mode. I have found that Windows has removed that setting in the switch to Windows 11.. Ok I nice when things are intuative and so... but I simply need a way to switch it off. So many times it happens that I slightly shake with the...
  4. What is Tablet Mode in Windows 10 and How to Turn it On and Off?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Tablet Mode in Windows 10 and How to Turn it On and Off?: Windows 10 automatically switches your system to tablet mode when you reconfigure your PC. However, there are several ways to turn this off or on. This article will look at the various methods. What Is Automatic Tablet Mode? If you have a 2-in-1 convertible laptop with a...
  5. turn off tablet mode windows 11

turn off tablet mode windows 11: i need to turn off tablet mode in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-tablet-mode-windows-11/a5cabf08-7062-498a-92af-25cb7b2847ac
  6. turn off tablet mode windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn off tablet mode windows 11: i need to turn off tablet mode in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-tablet-mode-windows-11/a5cabf08-7062-498a-92af-25cb7b2847ac
  7. Win 11 tablet mode turned off

Win 11 tablet mode turned off: I have an hp pavillion laptop and tablet pc combo. I'm confused about win 11 turning off tablet mode when upgraded. Does that mean that I can't use my tablet on this pc at all. As it is meant to work?...
  8. Windows 10 stuck in Tablet Mode? Here is how to turn off the Tablet Mode

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 stuck in Tablet Mode? Here is how to turn off the Tablet Mode: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The Tablet Mode on Windows 10 device was introduced to make Windows 10 more user-friendly on 2-in-1 devices like the Surface Pro and the Surface Book. However, If your Windows 10 is stuck in Tablet Mode and can’t turn off [...] This post Windows 10 stuck in...
  9. Turn On or Off Ask to Switch to Tablet Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Ask to Switch to Tablet Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Ask to Switch to Tablet Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Ask before Automatically Switching to Tablet Mode in Windows 10 [img] Information Continuum is Microsoft's new way of switching between tablet and desktop mode on a Windows 10...
  10. can't turn off tablet mode

in Windows 10 Support
    can't turn off tablet mode: I selected tablet mode, and I have no way of going back that I can fine. My start button does nothing(which was the original problem that I was trying to resolve). All I have is Control Panel. This has definitely been the most challenging version since 3,1 21348