Windows 10: Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD

Discus and support Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cloud106, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Cloud106 Win User

Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD

Hey,

So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have since formatted and using for Storage only. Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and the machine is working great, boots up in aound 10 seconds from turning the machine on.

Now heres my issue. For some reason if i turn my PC on and do nothing it will show the message no operating system found press ctrl, alt + del to restart. This is because its still looking to my original 2TB Drive to boot up. So basically I have to tap F something everytime i turn my machine on and select the SSD from the list.

Here is where things get weird. I have gone into the bios and have the choice of what the machine boots up with, so again i can select my SSD. The problem is the section where I can set the boot order default is only showing my 2TB Hard drive and the Blu-Ray drive, the SSD doesnt appear in that list. So it appears in one time boot options but not in the boot priority list so I cant set it as the default Drive.

Can anyone think as to why this could be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

:)

Cloud106, Feb 23, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

New ssd install, windows 10 and changing from bios to uefi

Although others may have more detailed suggestions this is what I would do:

1. Unplug the HD.

2. Change to UEFI.

3. Connect the SSD.

4. Install Windows 10 with the SSD connected only and make sure it works and windows activates.

If after this it is all ok then look at connecting the HD. It may try to boot from the HD or give an option to choose which to boot from. I'm not sure. See if you can read the HD using the SSD as the boot drive. What you do with the HD depends if you have
    personal files on it you want to keep.

neilpzz, Feb 23, 2016
  3. How to transfer programs and data from SSD to HD Windows 10

I have a laptop that has a SSD and HD. By default all the programs I have added have been saved to the SSD. I am not getting messages saying that the drive is almost full and that I need to back it up or make more space. I need to know how to move the files
    from the SSD to the HD to free up space and allow me to keep only the programs I want to be run on the SSD there, with everything else on the HD.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers]

aalstar2000, Feb 23, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

philc43, Feb 23, 2016
  5. Cloud106 Win User
    Cloud106, Feb 23, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    So when you installed your new SSD what sata port did you use?? Should be 0 or 1 ....0 if its their, if no 0 port than 1

OldMike65, Feb 23, 2016
  7. Cloud106 Win User
    I thought that so last night i swapped the originals HDD and the new SSD cables round on the motherboard but it still only wants to boot the old one which is just full of pics and music now.. I cant work it out.

Cloud106, Feb 23, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Your sata ports ARE numbered so you can view their order. Boot drive should be on 0 IF your motherboard has it as 0, if not then it would be #1 port.
    Have you tried unplugging your old drive, then boot into bios to see if anything changed?

OldMike65, Feb 23, 2016
  9. Cloud106 Win User
    No I haven't tried that, its just strange how the one time boot sees it but priority doesnt. I'll check again tonight when I get home that its deffo in 0 or 1

Cloud106, Feb 23, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    also try unplugging old drive......could be that computer is still seeing boot files on old hard drive ....just a thought.

OldMike65, Feb 23, 2016
  11. philc43 Win User
    I think that is the problem and was why I suggested a startup repair because I thought that fixed boot file errors.

philc43, Feb 23, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Yes it could be, but to check, user should disconnect his old drive then reboot. then if it boots to Windows 10, with no problems, he can go into his bios, and see if it now shows up correctly. I was just asking him to do some basic steps, for trouble shooting purposes.

OldMike65, Feb 23, 2016
  13. Cloud106 Win User

Hmm still isn't playing ball.. The only way it will boot up with the new SSD is to unplug the old hard drive.. I've tried moving the SATA cables too to SATA1 and moved the old HDD to the last SATA port. Yet still tries to boot from the old drive saying no operating ststem was found

Cloud106, Feb 27, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Is your motherboard bios the most up to date version available?

NavyLCDR, Feb 27, 2016
  15. Cloud106 Win User
    I've cracked it guys thanks,

There was a setting in the bios saying it was disabled at boot up. Had to go through about 3 pages to get to it

Thanks for your help

Cloud106, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Added SSD Drive for Windows only but desktop keeps booting from old HD - Similar Threads - Added SSD Drive

2. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  3. Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot from an old M.2 SSD Windows 11 drive: I had a Dell XPS 8940 with a 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. The Dell 8940 XPS became inoperable after a power blackout. I bought a new Dell 8960 XPS with a 1TB M.2 SSD and my boot drive and a 1TB data drive. I moved the old 512GB M.2 SSD and my boot...
  4. Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...: This is a somewhat unusual problem. I built a friend a new pc and installed windows from a cd onto the PC's ssd. After shutting down the pc after setting up windows I removed the CD drive and proceeded to boot up the PC and it is stuck on the motherboard's logo screen and...
  5. Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...: This is a somewhat unusual problem. I built a friend a new pc and installed windows from a cd onto the PC's ssd. After shutting down the pc after setting up windows I removed the CD drive and proceeded to boot up the PC and it is stuck on the motherboard's logo screen and...
  6. Windows will only boot if booting from CD drive with windows install disk and not from ssd...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost boot from ssd ,now boots from old drive ,: Hello : Tonight my son's computer lost booting from his ssd , the old hard drive boots fine but slow . Need to make the new ssd drive bootable . Weird this worked for 1 month until tonight . 1903 version (os Build 18362.499) Ideas . thanks [img] [img] 144186
  8. Windows 10 boots only from old SSD, EasyBCD shows logical drive error

Windows 10 boots only from old SSD, EasyBCD shows logical drive error: I got a new PC with m2 nvme SSD and I also took my old SSD from the old PC. Now after installing WIndows on the new SSD it does not boot when I select the new SSD in boot menu, only when I select the old SSD (which is labeled as Windows Boot Manager in UEFI) and select one...
  9. Adding a SSD keeping old HD

Adding a SSD keeping old HD: Putting and SSD in the system and will just do a fresh install of windows 10 and make it C:\. I know about going to settings, system, storage, and changing the destinations. But will everything be found OK, or do I need to reinstall all the programs?...
  10. Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD: Hey, So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have since formatted and using for Storage only. Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and the machine is working great, boots up in aound...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows keeps booting from old hd

2. pc keeps booting from old drive

3. laptop keeps booting from old hd