Windows 10: Run Startup Repair in Windows 10

Discus and support Run Startup Repair in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Run Startup Repair in Windows 10 How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 10 [img] Information Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Steve C, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Steve C Win User

Run Startup Repair in Windows 10

How to: Run Startup Repair in Windows 10

How to Run a Startup Repair in Windows 10

Run Startup Repair in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Startup Repair is a Windows recovery tool that can fix certain system problems that might prevent Windows from starting. Startup Repair scans your PC for the problem and then tries to fix it so your PC can start correctly.

Startup Repair is one of the recovery tools in recovery drive.

This tutorial will show you how to run a Startup Repair to fix problems that keep Windows 10 from loading.

Note Startup Repair can only fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files. It can't fix hardware failures, such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory, nor does it protect against virus attacks.

Startup Repair isn't designed to fix Windows installation problems, nor is it a backup tool, so it can't help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents.

See also: How Windows RE Works

The Startup Repair log file is located at:

C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

Here's How:

1. Boot to Advanced Startup Options.

2. Click/tap on Troubleshoot. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Advanced options. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Startup Repair. (see screenshot below)

5. If prompted, select the OS you want to perform a startup repair on. (see screenshot below)

6. If prompted, select an administrator account to provide credentials for approval. (see screenshot below)

Note You will not be prompted for an administrator's password if you booted from a recovery drive.

A) type in the password of the selected administrator, and click/tap on Continue. (see screenshot below)

7. Start Repair will now start "Diagnosing your PC", and attempt to automatically repair it. (see screenshot below)

8. If repairs aren't successful, you'll see a summary of the problem in the log file. (see screenshot below)

Note Options:

Run Startup Repair again:
    Click/tap on Advanced options, and go to step 2 above. Sometimes it may take running Startup Repair up to 3 times and restarting the PC each time to fix the startup issue.

Boot Windows 10:
    Click/tap on Advanced options, go to step 2 above, but click/tap on Continue instead.

Turn Off PC:
    Click/tap on Shut down.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Steve C, Sep 4, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 4, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 4, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Steve, *Smile

You can run the commands below in an elevated command prompt to disable automatic startup repair at boot. To undo this in the future, you'd just delete the value in red below from bcdedit.

bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy IgnoreAllFailures

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    Don't I use bcdedit /set recoveryenabled YES to reinstate Automatic Repair? Its unclear how to reverse bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy IgnoreAllFailures?

I also found the command bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreshutdownfailures. Is this worth a try since I suspect my problems may be due to an 'unclean' shutdown?

Also, my Windows Boot Loader identifier is {current} so should I use that identifier?

Note there is a full list of commands at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Steve C, Sep 5, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The command will work with {default} as well. It would be best to find the cause of this, and try to fix than just disable it though. I suppose you could try troubleshooting with a clean boot to see if that may reveal the culprit.

Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

To undo the commands above, you would use the commands below.

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} recoveryenabled

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} bootstatuspolicy

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
  7. zbook New Member

Note

Startup Repair can only fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files. It can't fix hardware failures, such as a failing hard disk or incompatible memory, nor does it protect against virus attacks.

Startup Repair isn't designed to fix Windows installation problems, nor is it a backup tool, so it can't help you recover personal files, such as photos or documents.

See also: How Windows RE Works

The Startup Repair log file is located at:

C:\Windows\System32\Logfile\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

The above post does not work and appears to be an error.
    It displays Logfile instead of Logfiles
    This is the link that opens the log file on my computer: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

zbook, Jul 31, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you zbook. Typo corrected. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Run Startup Repair in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Run Startup Repair

2. Windows 10 PRO startup repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 PRO startup repair: Windows 10 startup repair not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-startup-repair/d9b7b2ce-49e8-41dc-8675-0555b07926a1
  3. Windows 10: Stuck in startup repair

Windows 10: Stuck in startup repair: Windows 10: Stuck in startup repair loop HP Pro Book 450 G3; Win 10 Professional Education- Situation:Automated software does not recognize the Microsoft account password associated with the correctly displayed e-mail address for the account. Display indicates "password...
  4. windows 10 startup repair failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 startup repair failed: i cant start my windows 10 pc after power failure and it failed to run start up repair it shows 2 options advance setting and restart i restarted it but still it does not start...
  5. Windows 10 Password for Startup Repair

Windows 10 Password for Startup Repair: Hi, Startup repair keeps on rejecting my windows 10 password and I am very sure it is my correct password as I use it in logging in to microsoft website. I have two step verification on. Does that affect the password? I tried generate app password but still not working....
  6. STARTUP REPAIR PROBLEM ON WINDOWS 10

STARTUP REPAIR PROBLEM ON WINDOWS 10: i lost all my files when i used my startup repair. can you help me get them back? thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/startup-repair-problem-on-windows-10/be87278b-ed6b-493c-b320-59ad591ba67c
  7. Windows 10 startup repair loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 startup repair loop: My lenovo IdeaPad 110 is stuck on a Startup repair loop. I have tried everything for it to end. The startup repair couldn't repair my pc, command prompt always says "The device is not ready" once i enter the command "d:". Uninstalling updates always run into an error and the...
  8. Startup repair loop windows 10

Startup repair loop windows 10: My old HP updated to windows10 crashrs on most updates and takes a couple of days re starts to get it back online. Since friday now its been stuck in repair loop with me able to access command prompt and make changes, i disabled automatic startup repair using bcdedit...
  9. Windows 10 startup repair loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 startup repair loop: Hi all, When starting up my PC a few days ago it went into startup repair mode and will not come out. I have tried a system restore, rebuilding the BCD, chkdsk and RAM tests. Finally, I reinstalled the OS on my SSD (most of my data is one a separate 1 TB HDD)....
  10. Running Startup Repair runs Windows Defender Offline Instead

in Windows 10 Support
    Running Startup Repair runs Windows Defender Offline Instead: And now here's another screw-up. I'm in here trying to fix Windows Defender and I tell it to run offline. Restart the computer and let it run. Only problem is, how do you get it to stop running? Every other time Windows is forced into a situation where Startup Repair is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How do I fix Windows startup problems?

2. what stops a service from loading on startup. It is set to run manual and shows that it is runnibg