Windows 10: Administrator Access for Registry Edit

Discus and support Administrator Access for Registry Edit in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to make two registry edits to change my 3G/4G connection to non-metered (since I get unlimited data and hate the Outlook 2016 metered connection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ericnixmd, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ericnixmd Win User

Administrator Access for Registry Edit

I need to make two registry edits to change my 3G/4G connection to non-metered (since I get unlimited data and hate the Outlook 2016 metered connection warning).

When I tried to make the registry edit, it said I needed administrative privileges. My account is an administrator account.

Any tips on how to get this to work?

My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong subforum.

:)

ericnixmd, Mar 23, 2018
  2. heshamM96 Win User

enable administrator account

i have try to enable the administrator account in cmd by typing "net user administrator /active:yes" but it show "system error 5 has occurred. access is denied".

i want this to take own of file to delete it from the windows so that i can enable the registry editing.

heshamM96, Mar 23, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    A ghost in my PC is turning my filter keys on at the settings options, while I'm not watching... I have video proof...

The registry key for filter keys is [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]

And set Flags to 122 to disable filter keys

Possibly then Lock the Key!

You can set permissions for registry keys. Just remove Edit permissions from SYSTEM and the Administrators group and the key should be effectively read only.

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Mar 23, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

It's a matter of taking ownership of the relevant key, changing permissions then setting the ownership back as it was. See steps 4 to 6 for Option Two in this tutorial that makes the same changes for the Ethernet connection.

Set Ethernet Connection as Metered or Unmetered in Windows 10

5. ericnixmd Win User
    Thanks Bree. I was able to make the change. However, I don't have a cell signal to test it yet. I have poor cell service at my residence. Will test tomorrow while at work.

Thanks again!

ericnixmd, Mar 23, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    Alternatively you can open regedit with nsudo and run it under TrustedInstaller direct. Just open the correct nsudo for your install (x86 or x64 probably), type regedit in the box and hit run.

Then you can just change the key you want (as described in the tutorial) directly without needing to mess with changing permissions and ownership back and forth.

Administrator Access for Registry Edit [​IMG]

7. ericnixmd Win User
    Thanks for the tip lx07. I had already followed instructions by Bree. I'm using the cellular connection now and it's working well without any metered connection warnings. I'm assuming since I get unlimited data (AT&T will slow it after 22 GB) that it's foolish to keep dealing with all the popups since I use <10 GB/month on most months.

ericnixmd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Administrator Access for Registry Edit - Similar Threads - Administrator Access Registry

2. Is it safe to edit registry?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to edit registry?: HelloI wanted to change the size of my taskbar icons in Windows 7 to a custom size, but for that I needed to edit the registry and so I am not sure if it is safe to do so. I found from a website that to set a custom size of icons on the taskbar, u need to edit the HKEY_USERS...
  3. Saving Registry Edits

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving Registry Edits: Hi,I want to set the Numlock key to automatically turn on at the Windows 10 login page, even after signing out or shutting down and rebooting. The device I want to change this setting for is the Dell Latitude 5511 ST: 9WGMZ53.In the registry editor, I tried edit...
  4. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing the registry: I migrated from win7 to win10 using the in-place method MS recommends. But as a result of that the registry is full of entries for programs that were removed years ago. What I want to do is just remove them; edit them out. I know the best way to remove them is to begin again...
  5. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Editing the registry: I need to edit the registry to remove/expunge residual program entries after an un-install and clean-up. Background I upgraded from win7 to win10, and noted that installed apps several versions of VideoStudio failed on the 2nd and subsequent execution on win10. I've...
  6. Registry Edit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Edit: I deleted something from registry edit. Im not too sure what, it was along the lines of Tab- or Tablet- because i was going through getting rid of anything that could be causing errors for my new tablet drivers. But now im getting a flashing screen, and white icons (or no...
  7. Edit from the registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edit from the registry: hello I need to know if anyone knows where the registry keys of these windows appearance options would be shown in the following image [img] . Also on the other hand I would need to know if there is a key of color saturation and the values of windows rgb colors. I would...
  8. Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator doesn't have access to change owner in registry: Hello, the question is according to Windows 10 x64. I was trying to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection and uninstaller shows an error - access denied to registry. I was trying to change permission manually in registry with Admin account, but no luck. Still error -...
  9. registry editer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    registry editer: the only place I can find it is in system configuration, under tools and cannot remove it!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-editer/26358bbd-5cec-46d7-bab8-36f6bc7afb9f
  10. Cannot edit registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot edit registry: Hello. I can't edit anything in the registry. I searched on a solution and all I could find was people saying to change the permissions, which I have done, but it still won't let me edit anything, the same error message pops up as before. Can anyone help please? 103715